All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 13-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The 'Half Qwerty' Nokia E55 - 'first look' review

In this first look review Rafe runs through some of the key points of the brand new Nokia E55, sharing his thoughts after 36 hours with the device. I'm currently writing a far longer and fuller review for AAS and this will follow sometime next week. In the meantime, enjoy Rafe's photos and observations.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
...can you please publish a shot of the E71 keyboard next to the E55 Rafe?

Old 13-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
tim - have a look at this image in the photo gallery (just added link to gallery to the new story).

Large version: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/...c058ca73_o.jpg

Old 13-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
tim - have a look at
Many thanks!

Old 13-08-2009, 01:23 PM

paker is on a distinguished road
thanks for nice first look.
i want to know how does the half qwerty works without T9 or predictive text? for typing in the other languages with english alphabet.
and what has steve said about the E75 battery life ?!

Old 13-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
How much memory is free on C: drive to install apps ?
is the preinstalled stuff like psilic world traveller un-installable?

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 13-08-2009, 01:27 PM

blue13x is on a distinguished road
Nice first impression.
Btw that first shot looks almost like two cutout press photos in your hand.
I think this is cause by the soft look and the screen....the screen looks like printed out and sticked on sticker. Very nice.

Old 13-08-2009, 01:28 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
I've been waiting a good few months for the E55. A few years ago I had a SE M600 with a half qwerty keypad and got on well with it.

Light and pocketable is the main thing I look for in a mobile. I am not a business user but I use most of the Symbiam features now and again. I use the calendar, contacts and notes all the time and occasionally I take a few photo's and video clips, download the odd music track and sent an occasional email. I now have the 6220 classic, it's good but feels cheap. The E55 looks more solid.

But .......... I am being swayed in the direction of the 5530. It is also light and pocketable and seems to meet the avarage Symbian users requirements as well.

I wonder if the touch screen is the way to go or does the qwerty / half qwerty still have a long term future.

Old 13-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Phone Handset

paker - in brief (more detail from Steve in review I imagine). You can use the keyboard in multi tap mode (e.g. hit '1' twice for 'r'). One of the nice things is you can set a secondary language and have that work in predictive mode (note: did not try this myself).. so in theory you could write in both English and French say in the same piece of text. The text settings can be easily change using the settings (which you can access from anywhere using the SHIFT+SYMBOL key shortcut.

Battery - at 1500 mAh it is about as good as you could hope for on a device this size.

Rakat - there's about 45 MB free on the C: drive (and that was after installing a few things). The smaller internal memory is about the only negative chnage from the E51. There's around 51 MB of RAM after a boot up. I didn't try and uninstall the extra software - I'm sure Steve will look at this.

moonshot - interesting either or there. I'm a former M600 user too (which may be why I didn't run away when I saw the keyboard). I think I'd get on better with the E55, but that's me. The calendar and contacts software are better on the E55 (see E71 review for description of calendar changes). 5530 does have a bigger screen... Should have a 5530 review shortly. I think we'll settle down into three bits if market 12 key / QWERTY / and touch (with hybrids in between). The QWERTY device will be around for a long time to come in my opinion.

Old 13-08-2009, 02:30 PM
dj ...

camera

Rafe,

how about this edof camera then? E71-ish or 5800-ish, or may we hope, E75-ish.

for the price this looks really nice. I'm uncertain between this and an e75. given I think I can adapt to the keyboard the camera might settle it. unless I wait for the e72...

cheers,
dj

Old 13-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Frederico

What i like most about touch screen phones is that they usually have big screens
And big screens are good to read on and I NEED that on a phone.
I dont remember many non touch screen phones with big screens...

Old 13-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederico View Post
i dont remember many non touch screen phones with big screens...
e90?

Old 13-08-2009, 03:56 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
Very nice first impressions, the Eseries phones have become quite impresive (not that they weren't before :P ).
Any idea when the E72 will be launching, though? That's the one I'm waiting for. I imagine either later on in august or (more likely) sometime in september - october.

Old 13-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Melmotion is on a distinguished road
Smile Been waiting for this one.

E55 is the ultimate replacement for my old faithful Blackberry 7105t. It has the half qwerty just like E55 that I'm used to. Finally a Nokia phone designed for me.

Old 13-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the first impressions

I have 2 questions if you dont mind:

1. I read that version 7.1 of the web browser is faster. How can you compare it to Opera Mini? I dont like the Java based applications.

2. Does Eseries now have the Photos application? Use the virtual Albums or Folders in managing the images (i dont mean folders in file manager)...do i have the option to add the image to specific album immediatly (in the Camera setting).