All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 80

Old 14-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Even though I presently still use Symbian (on a Samsung i8910), I can look critically at some of its downsides. The app signing, and need to hack your phone to get it to do basic things (conversation view SMS), is a royal pain in the rear. It totally scares off new users.

Also, I think the main competition is more Symbian vs. Android rather than Symbian/Nokia vs. the Apple iPhone.

Apple, perhaps brilliantly, decided to envelop the iPhone into their whole ecosystem. No one will be able to beat their combination of: vast iTunes content availability, hundreds of third party accessories, and a dominant developer following. They have a niche, but a very, very lucrative niche, similar to their Macbook lines, that nobody will likely be able to match.

So, Nokia should set its sites instead on preventing Android from becoming the default 'Windows' of the mobile space, which it is threatening to do. Just the fact that manufacturers like Archos and Dell are using Android on tablets, should scare the daylights out of Nokia and the Symbian Foundation and light a fire under their posterior.

Also, since I don't see Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 really taking off (Microsoft STILL has no clue how to market to consumers; look at the Kin), Nokia should explore even further partnerships with them, possibly even including Zune Media Marketplace integration.

Last edited by Jimmy1; 14-05-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Old 14-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -raleigh- View Post
Sites like this are certainly very helpful, but taking into account structure of Ovi Store and scattered applications market, it costs a lot of time to discover all this interesting niche products, like garmin xt, joikuspot, podcasting, nokia sports tracker, coreplayer, opera, snaptu or mail for exchange.
Absolutely, though the situation has got a lot better in recent times, in fairness to Ovi.

But this feature was why *I* stay with Symbian, not some average Joe Bloggs - to be honest, when people ask me what to buy, I ask how tech literate they are. If 'Not at all' then I point to the iPhone range. Or, if they're struck for cash, to one of the cheap Nokia S60 touchscreens. But it's the slightly geekier scene which interests me - people who are tech-savvy enough to help themselves and find stuff that stretches both them and the device.

Old 14-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

...all this and free maps! (well, free-ish or soon to be free)

ILG

Old 14-05-2010, 03:10 PM

paker is on a distinguished road
and when will you write "1001 reasons not to stay with symbian any more" ?

Last edited by paker; 14-05-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Old 14-05-2010, 03:33 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paker View Post
and when will you write "1001 reasons not to stay with symbian any more" ?
I guess when there are 1001 reasons worth mentioning (could be a long wait then)...

Old 14-05-2010, 04:04 PM

abubasim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Of course, the counter argument is why can you not do this on your iPhone directly? I NEVER need to connect my E90 to my PC to update my Podcasts, my phone does it all for me automatically. This would be possible on an iPhone if Apple didn't deliberately prevent this. Also, on my Nokia, I can delete any files I want, without having to use a PC; on an iPhone/iPod Touch this is not possible, as many file types (ie. music and photos) can ONLY be deleted via iTunes, rendering the iPhone not so much a powerful smartphone as a PC accessory. That's why open-ness is a good thing, but something that Apple do not intend to allow...
Yeah, I've also used Nokia Podcasting on E61i, E90 and last the unofficially 'cracked' version on E72. And the ability to download podcasts directly on the phone is excellent. But I rather have a podcast client that resumes from the last played position to avoid fast forwarding than the ability to download directly to the phone. None of three Nokia phones I listed remembers last played position. I know at least the N95 supported this if the audio files had podcast as the category but oddly enough Nokia didn't retain this feature in newer models (E72). I connect my phone to PC every day to sync calendar and stuff so podcasts get refreshed automatically at the same time.

But we're all different creatures. Some value podcatching directly to phone more and don't mind fast forwarding an hour-long podcast where they last paused it before exiting the podcasting client...

The ideal would be a full podcatcher with resume support, where the client remembers which podcasts have been played partly or fully and indicates this accordingly. Maybe we can hope for this now when Escarpod has been chosen as the official Symbian podcatcher...

Last edited by abubasim; 14-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Old 14-05-2010, 05:15 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
BTW, Android 2.2 Froyo, now adds Wifi hotspot tethering and USB modem tethering, so Symbian loses the Joikuspot advantage. It's being rolled out now, and it supposedly works great on the Nexus One.

Old 14-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
The better question would be with all the choice out there as far as OS types are concerned, with OS types that are often better than Symbian why would you keep inflicting Symbian on yourself. Now a Nexus One user I have no desire to return to Symbian at this time.

I am especially bemused about the comment about hardware in the article, to me a lot of Nokia's these days can best be classed as poorly made & cheap & nasty. Yes there are exceptions, but speaking in general if I wanted a well built phone I certainly wouldn't look to get a Nokia unlike in the old days.

Same goes for security, to try & pretend that Symbian is somehow better than OS X or Android in this area beggars belief.

Last edited by Super Chimp; 14-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Old 14-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubasim View Post
Yeah, I've also used Nokia Podcasting on E61i, E90 and last the unofficially 'cracked' version on E72. And the ability to download podcasts directly on the phone is excellent. But I rather have a podcast client that resumes from the last played position to avoid fast forwarding than the ability to download directly to the phone. None of three Nokia phones I listed remembers last played position. I know at least the N95 supported this if the audio files had podcast as the category but oddly enough Nokia didn't retain this feature in newer models (E72). I connect my phone to PC every day to sync calendar and stuff so podcasts get refreshed automatically at the same time.

But we're all different creatures. Some value podcatching directly to phone more and don't mind fast forwarding an hour-long podcast where they last paused it before exiting the podcasting client...

The ideal would be a full podcatcher with resume support, where the client remembers which podcasts have been played partly or fully and indicates this accordingly. Maybe we can hope for this now when Escarpod has been chosen as the official Symbian podcatcher...
You probably missed this, as S60 user experience is a beast at best, but playing Podcasts thru music player will remember position and which podcasts are played past shutdown. Podcasting really needs to be integrated into music player, something akin to desktop iTunes, but on the mobile. I only use Podcasting to scrape podcast feeds now, but listen to all my podcasts on Music Player. But funny enough, because I've sent my N97 in for GPS repair (finally) I'm starting to get re-acquainted with my N95-3, and I have to say, the integration between Music Player and Podcasting is much better, as Podcasting in the N95 can actually delete the podcast that is currently open on Music Player, but Music Player will handle it gracefully. N97 will not let me do that if Music Player is on the same directory as the open podcast. Typical symptom of Symbian for the past 3 years, as UI development just went downhill. "Podcasting" as a concept is still great, but Podcasting app on the S60 needs a serious overhaul, like kick it out and integrate the functions back into Music Player, please!!! Who needs another app that does the same thing Music Player does - play sound files????
It so stupid to have net-aware phones and the basic apps (calendar, music player, contacts, etc.) are not net-aware still. But at least Nokia Maps gets this right. It's something that Android gets right as well. S60 development team still doesn't seem to get it.

-Gene

Old 14-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Nokia has done an excellent job of listening to its consumers & have catered their devices to your needs. They have even addressed the build quality issues that used to plague Nokia handsets. I would now very easily say that their build is on par with Motorola, whom I consider to be the best at build quality.

Another issue that still makes me a staunch supporter of Nokia is their designs. Even their budget handsets look like they cost much more than the user actually paid for.

As far as calling the UI "old", why is that the iPhone's UI has been basically unchanged for 3 yrs., yet god forbid that anyone call it "old"...which it is. It is also nothing special. The icons are perhaps the worst thing about the UI.

I consider Nokia to be designed for users who like classy devices, & aren't also concerned that the menu won't do a freakin' 720 corkscrew somersault before it's closed.

I think Nokia is right on track, & once MeeGo & S^4 are announced, the naysayers will finally remove their foot from their mouth.

Long live the king....

Old 15-05-2010, 03:27 AM

thecrevis is on a distinguished road
The fact that you have to write an article titled "My Top 10 Reasons for Staying with Symbian" is a good enough reason to question why you need to convince yourself of an operating system you see as so superior. My nokia 5800 ultimately sucks. It's slow and it crashes, apps are nothing compared to iphone....as one single example, compare the user experience of facebook on a nokia 5800 and on an iphone. the iphone SHITS all over the 5800 in so many ways.

Old 15-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Unregistered

ARTICLE FAIL!
REASONS FAIL!

SYMBIAN FAIL!

Such rubbish comments.

Old 15-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Unregistered

i will noy use sym based mobile anymore . because i want a phone with decent ui , good hardware spec no hangings no restarting etc but i dont choose model for the sake of one damn feature, app. now most of the manufacturers going to android if we ask why [are they dumb why should they use age old platform with very low support] but they want to compete with apple forget about nokia and its pet org symb

i think the credit goes only to apple for bringing such a innovative new device to market otherwise we may be thinking nokia and symbi phones are best the scenario might be like this apple will be trying to innovate new things and android will try to copy some of the feautures and nokia will sit like a duck bringing sym3 sym4 sym5 based n8 , n9, n1 , e1 ,e2, e3,c3 and more blaaaassssss

Old 15-05-2010, 08:21 AM

daos is on a distinguished road
1. If only speakers, mikes and cameras are essential parts of hardware, then indeed symbian is the best of the planet. But what about processors, memory, screens, peripherals, usb host etc., etc. In this area symbian is just catching up, even android.
2. No way. This is WM territory and even for time being will be, so android catches up quickly enough. The amount and quality of different UI for WM is practically UNLIMITED.
3. The same is in WM world.
4. Please give ONE example of mentioned statements regarding WM. For instance, i used skype on WM BEFORE the first ever symbian smart was born. And i have never experienced any problems with BT connectivity on WM, which BTW has twice more BT services, then symbian. Moreover, WM device connected via BT and activesync to desktop with internet, automatically has internet as well. Symbian can only dream for this feature.
5. Agree on 200%
6. It is long since WM is the same.
7. Security is not only virus proof ability, but no less important is built in ability for secure connections, corporate mail, encryption etc. There are even standards in corporate world. The only mobile OS, that can have it is WM for now. Otherwise i agree with author.
8,9 Agree 100%
Ads

Old 15-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

martine4161 is on a distinguished road
This is the time of 3G and 4G phones and there are lots of company having this facilities like iPhone and Nokia and all that. But at the same time some of the people like symbian also. So they can't even think to switch over to another phone.