All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
I went back to the N95-1 after selling the N97, and just enjoyed using it again, it was super fast compared to the N97, and it kind of steered me to my current phone, as basically I wanted an N95 with a QWERTY keyboard, result was the E72.
see, i think its different for me, as I have just given up the Desire. N95 feels slow, REALLY slow, screen is dull, small and cramped. I don't even bother using the net, after the Desire N95 feels like using dial up through a postage stamp. I thought i needed a QWERTY until i got the desire, didn't miss it for a second.

But on the plus side the video recording is brilliant!

I really hope the delays on the N8 mean its going to be useable and a quality piece of kit out of the box, or i'm going to be really pi$$ed

Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeku View Post
My new opinion of the N8, quality hardware let down by probably a poor OS.
Although S60 is looking a bit tired and clunky (compared to Andriod etc) it's stored in ROM and not really affected by firmware changes made by Nokia.

It's the Nokia firmware itself (stored in internal flash memory) which typically causes instability in the first few FW major releases. Nokia really needs to light a fire under the beta / field test department to get it right first time when the next flagship is released to market.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeku View Post
My new opinion of the N8, quality hardware let down by probably a poor OS.
they should tweak their moto

"Connecting people......with quality hardware and a poor OS"

Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
I've had enough of waiting a couple of seconds just to open a new SMS.

My next phone almost certainly won't be nokia, no matter how purdy it might be on the outside... (disclaimer: if Nokia revamp the Ovi store so it's actually pleasant to use, give us decently specced hardware and stop cutting corners on quality control I might be swayed)

It's like the return of the old Rover motto - "Above all, it's a Nokia"

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
I've had enough of waiting a couple of seconds just to open a new SMS.

My next phone almost certainly won't be nokia, no matter how purdy it might be on the outside... (disclaimer: if Nokia revamp the Ovi store so it's actually pleasant to use, give us decently specced hardware and stop cutting corners on quality control I might be swayed)

It's like the return of the old Rover motto - "Above all, it's a Nokia"
i seriously think Nokia won't make the same mistakes again, the fact that they delayed it to ensure it was good enough is a good thing.

this time they have the 14 day cooling off period to convince me things have changed, otherwise its full refund time. i'm not waiting for the 'magical' software update to make things better this time round

Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 PM

weelogic is on a distinguished road
Has anyone seen a photo that shows where the reset pin is? I have a feeling that it's the wee button under the HDMI flap, but I'm not sure. Given that there are times that the only way to reset the N97 is to remove the battery (a task at which I have become adept with one hand!) I would want a proper reset pin if the battery is in a screwed shut compartment.

Other than that, it looks the part and is lined up to replace my N97 (which I love, probably much to the chagrin of many) later in the year.
Ads