All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJeeper View Post
Are they all getting too big? No, i don't think so.
Yes they are. It's an unfortunate trend and it won't last.

Quote:
How many of you are still using 15" monitors (by choice)?
I don't carry a monitor around with me all the time. However, 15.6 inch is a very popular laptop format.

Quote:

Finally, look on the bright side. If Apple hadn't created their version of a large screen tablet form factor, we might all be walking around with HTC Advantages!
Don't you mean Archos created that kind of portable media player, long before Apple copied it ?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWEB View Post
Totally agree, i'm the same vintage as Steve, and in my mind, proven advancements in technology meant squeezing more functions and better performance in to SMALLER units, these days the penchant for making devices ever larger seems somewhat neanderthal to me.
My personal rule of thumb, is anything larger than the iphone is just too damned big!
I find the iPhone oversize and cumbersome. Too uncomfortable for permanent carrying.

On their previous range of products Apple created the Nano version and it was very popular. Why?

The nerds that feel they need the earth in their pocket will put up with carrying a jacket-sagging housebrick around, but normal human beings will always prefer small, neat and comfortable.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes they are. It's an unfortunate trend and it won't last.
We'll see.

Quote:
I don't carry a monitor around with me all the time. However, 15.6 inch is a very popular laptop format.
The point is that some people prefer to have a larger screen.

Quote:
Don't you mean Archos created that kind of portable media player, long before Apple copied it ?
Finally, look on the bright side. If Apple hadn't created their version of a large screen tablet MOBILE PHONE form factor, we might all be walking around with HTC Advantages!

Better? We were after all, discussing the increase in size of a branch of mobile phones. BTW, haven't Archos devices also been increasing in size and ability recently? Seven and nine inch screen's instead of just five inch? Certainly adds credance to the claim people want larger screens (which means bigger devices).

Last edited by UKJeeper; 02-11-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Unregistered

quote: "I'm not sure. I had a quick try of an N97 the other day and found it quite nice actually - I feel like it's had a bad rap. I wonder what the new firmware will do for this."

Surely you cannot be 100% serious. The N97 has been a disaster almost from word go. A short recap if you will:

1. The pre v20 software. Can you say with a straight face that this software was ready for public consumption? Many within Nokia knew that this software was at best beta but they released it anyway.
2. GPS issues. Still not completely resolved.
3. The infamous protective lens issue that Nokia finally was forced to acknowledge.
4. No support for the Mac community until version 20. Once again, Nokia insiders knew that the firmware was so screwed up that 3rd party developers nor even Nokia could develop iSync plugins.
5. Various keylock issues.
6. Out of memory issues.
7. Installation of applications that cannot be removed.
8. Memory mapping of applications that forced installation on the already limited c://
9. Ovi Maps issues.
10. Ovi store issues.

With all of this being said, I do not want to start an argument about the N97 but you have to admit, even since the upgrade, there is not really much hope for this device. Hopefully the N97 Mini and N900 can redeem Nokia.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

Phones

Of course it's a phone! I use my "smartphone" most of the time as a "mobile computer" - it's still a phone though, and hasn't changed definition by my primary use of it!

A car doesn't become a mobile computer with the addition of CPU engine management, GPS, etc. Neither does a phone. It just has additional functionality. It's also certainly still a car whether you drive it with one hand or two!

And what about hands-free? How does that feature in the phone definitions?

Pedantically, a phone no longer was a phone as soon as SMS was added! Clearly it was though. The first mobiles required 2 hands to pick the thing up - it was still a phone.

I think people are over-analysing things, and getting confused by definitions and making up their own in the process.

Just call it a "mobile" and be done with it.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile My First Tele-Phone

The word Tele-Phone was introduced by the German Mr. Philipp Reis (1860) Wikipedia . It is Greek for Far - Sound or Distant Sound Transmitting . When out of reach of vocal sound , a device still enabling to hear that voice is a Tele-Phone e.g. London - Edinburgh .

My first Tele-Phone consisted of Two empty baked beans Cans , connected through a hole in the bottom with a simple rope . Could hear my friend very well talking .

In this definition anything enabling to hear a sound "real time" from a normally unhearable distant is a Tele-Phone .

Strictly : Phone = Sound = anything producing a sound is a phone !

Also my car with carkit is a Tele-Phone , no matter , how many buttons , sizes of screen , (un) handy , (un) smart , multitasking or whatever : I am be able to talk to my friend , who is at distant .

I think there is some confusion , since there are so many types of devices , that can actually do the same : distant calling .

BTW : N900 is a Tele-Phone !

Regards jApi NL

Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

The point is that some people prefer to have a larger screen.
Well if you feel the need to state the obvious. Many prefer a more portable device.

Quote:
Finally, look on the bright side. If Apple hadn't created their version of a large screen tablet MOBILE PHONE form factor, we might all be walking around with HTC Advantages!
So Apple added phone fuctionality to the iPod touch. I don't think we would all be using HTC advantages, just as we are not all using piePhones.

Quote:
Better? We were after all, discussing the increase in size of a branch of mobile phones.
It wasn't me that brought up 15 inch monitors.

Quote:
BTW, haven't Archos devices also been increasing in size and ability recently? Seven and nine inch screen's instead of just five inch? Certainly adds credance to the claim people want larger screens (which means bigger devices).
And millions are carrying seven and nine inch devices in their pockets? These are niche.
Ads

Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I find the iPhone oversize and cumbersome. Too uncomfortable for permanent carrying.

On their previous range of products Apple created the Nano version and it was very popular. Why?

The nerds that feel they need the earth in their pocket will put up with carrying a jacket-sagging housebrick around, but normal human beings will always prefer small, neat and comfortable.
In my hands the iPhone is pretty smallish I can certainly operate it one handed.

I could probably operate a larger device than that such as the Droid/Milestone or the Infinity.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:39 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
In this latest instalment of OldsMobile, the article series dedicated to people who would like those darn kids off their lawns, Steve Litchfield reminisces on the good ol' times when we watched video on postage stamp-sized screens and were forced to use T9 to text.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
In this latest instalment of OldsMobile, the article series dedicated to people who would like those darn kids off their lawns, Steve Litchfield reminisces on the good ol' times when we watched video on postage stamp-sized screens and were forced to use T9 to text.
Yes, yes, issue 194 of OldsMobile is out today, comes with free shotgun!! 8-)

Darn it but you guys understand me well!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
It is either a phone or a Pda.

If you go out to buy a phone and it happens to have a lot of other stuff built in, like a symbian S60 opperating system, then it IS a phone.

If you go out to buy a Pda because of all the stuff that's is built into it, which includes bits to allow you to make and receive calls; then it's a Pda.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:48 PM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
'proving that the Nokia N900 and HTC HD2 definitely aren't phones at all'

Steve - can't you see the madness in that statement? Imagine you are out with your daughter and the device rings. You ignore it for a little while and then she says 'Dad, aren't you going to answer the phone?'

Are you then going to launch into a ten minute lecture to the poor child on why the thing isn't a phone?

Face it Steve - it looks like a phone, it functions like a phone, it is a phone.

It just does a load of other stuff too. Big deal, we've been in that situation for years now.

And what's that about one-handed and two-handed use? That's got nothing to do with the price of fish whatsoever!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Steve, by your definition the UIQ 2 and some 3 devices from SonyEricsson aren't phones either, as they are designed to be operated with two hands, apart probably for the phone function.

And your 50% usage citeria is peculiar. I gather that most people use the other functions of a smartphone more than the phone (and sms) function, and this also makes all current smartphones something else than phones.

Remove the SIM card, which makes the device an un-phone, but all other functions are still as usable nowadays as with the SIM card.

AFAIAC, it's a smartphone if it is a mobile computer in a phone-like form factor that can connect to the phone network, and this makes the N900 a smartphone. If it cannot connect to the phone network, and it is a mobile computer in a phone like form factor (like the N810 or the iPod touch) it's a WID, or whatever.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 PM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
quote: "I'm not sure. I had a quick try of an N97 the other day and found it quite nice actually - I feel like it's had a bad rap. I wonder what the new firmware will do for this."

Surely you cannot be 100% serious. The N97 has been a disaster almost from word go. A short recap if you will:

1. The pre v20 software. Can you say with a straight face that this software was ready for public consumption? Many within Nokia knew that this software was at best beta but they released it anyway.
2. GPS issues. Still not completely resolved.
3. The infamous protective lens issue that Nokia finally was forced to acknowledge.
4. No support for the Mac community until version 20. Once again, Nokia insiders knew that the firmware was so screwed up that 3rd party developers nor even Nokia could develop iSync plugins.
5. Various keylock issues.
6. Out of memory issues.
7. Installation of applications that cannot be removed.
8. Memory mapping of applications that forced installation on the already limited c://
9. Ovi Maps issues.
10. Ovi store issues.

With all of this being said, I do not want to start an argument about the N97 but you have to admit, even since the upgrade, there is not really much hope for this device. Hopefully the N97 Mini and N900 can redeem Nokia.
I'd have to agree, it got a bad rap because it WAS bad. Having said that, I need to point out that it WAS bad, not it IS bad. Since the 2.0 firmware, (and undocumented voip application installation) it's been a 180 turnaround. This is now a phone I'm happy with, and will do me nicely for the next year. I just wish they didn't need to copy apple with everything, like adding basic functionality later in a firmware update (copy and paste, anyone?), and trumpeting it as a step forward, rather than calling a spade a spade, ie, this is a catchup. Still, catch up they have (imo), my n97 is once again a great PHONE! (because it makes calls )

Old 02-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Jouten

Thumbs up Indeed!

Steve is Da Man!