All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 30-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Dr Tran is on a distinguished road
Optical zoom: want
Xenon flash: want
Bigger battery: want

I am perfectly willing to accept a larger device to accommodate those features.

Old 30-07-2009, 05:04 PM
lilblacktombo

Can we stop with the "if LED is so great why do cameras still use Xenon!!" argument? It's patently silly.

Cameras are cameras, and will of course make room for necessary fancy camera things (xenon, optical zoom lens, etc).
Cameraphones aren't cameras. They are phones with camera modules. For the sake of squeezing in all the other Phone stuff, compromises are made.

LED Flash is obviously a compromise. From these comparisons, we can tell that it's a fairly acceptable compromise, and that the photo quality is very good in the majority of situations despite Xenon's absence.

Now, I'm in Dr Tran's camp. I would love a Phone That Is Also A Camera. Make it an inch longer/wider (but not thicker!) to make room for everything if you have to, that's fine by me. I want a damn Batman Phone.

But until that happens, the N86 will do.

Old 30-07-2009, 05:08 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
You're of course referring to the people working at Nikon, Olympus, Canon, etc. How short sighted of them to keep including xenon flashes with their compact digital cameras! They're clearly ignorant of all the recent advances made with LED!
Yeah yeah, you know what I meant

Old 31-07-2009, 02:01 AM

GeceBekcisi is on a distinguished road
I guess there can be a Nokia N86 clone with Xenon flash in the works which will be possibly named as "N86 Xenon" or "N87" or whatever, that's Nokia's very well known marketing strategy guys...

It was said that "Xenon flash would have increased the thickness by 4mm" here and it's also worth to read this article to have some ideas about Nokia's approach to Xenon in mobile devices.

Old 31-07-2009, 07:28 AM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
If you want a Xenon flash combined with a camera unit with similiar additional functions then get a Pixon 12.

You can find a photo test of it compared to other devices, including some S60 here.

Last edited by Super Chimp; 31-07-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Ads

Old 31-07-2009, 07:51 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeceBekcisi View Post
It was said that "Xenon flash would have increased the thickness by 4mm" here and it's also worth to read this article to have some ideas about Nokia's approach to Xenon in mobile devices.
Thanks for sharing this. This definitely makes things clearer on how easy / difficult it is to include a Xenon unit.

And again, before anyone rants "Xenon exists in the cheapest cameras" remember that your camera just takes snaps and does nothing else. The 'phone' does a lot more.

Old 31-07-2009, 08:13 AM

m.shafik is on a distinguished road
Check this one out for more details:

http://www.symbian-freak.com/reviews...med_shafik.htm

Old 31-07-2009, 09:08 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblacktombo View Post
Can we stop with the "if LED is so great why do cameras still use Xenon!!" argument? It's patently silly.

[...]
Why is that silly? The rest of your message seems to confirm it's not....the point is not that LED would be a good compromise (which may be true considering the result of this test), but that Xenon, all other things being equal, is apparently still the better option for stills.

The benefit for video does make me wonder why leds aren't included in digital camera's nowadays, as they all do video as well.

Old 31-07-2009, 10:21 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeceBekcisi View Post
It was said that "Xenon flash would have increased the thickness by 4mm"
The C905, which I would like to point out was released 1 year before the N86 (an eternity in the gadget world), is only 2.3mm thicker. Also, the Pixon12 is 1.7mm thinner than the 5800 XM, as incredible as that might sound. If LED technology has advanced in recent years, Xenon technology hasn't exactly stood still.

Old 31-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

But this isn't about how Xenon has advanced. It's about LED.

Old 31-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

Here is a different prospective... The fact of the matter is any article can skew results one way or another.

You can simply take the "best" shots from the N86 and never show pics how it really suffers in certain conditions.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_claims...-news-1048.php

People must use their heads and think why Nokia deliberately ommit certain specs or features because they always want you to upgrade to another NOKIA which again has something missing or leave you "wanting".

Take the N82 which is a great device but is crippled by the small screen and average battery life.

They can simply make a N82 with a larger screen and battery. Do they? No, because those users are unlikely to upgrade for a very long time. With the advancements the device won't even be that much bigger.

I can name every Nokia phone is crippled in some way. They dileberately do this... So many customers has asked for xenon but the refuse to listen. I thought you listen to your customers?

Nokia is taking the wrong approach because many are jumping ship to iPhone, RIM, HTC etc. Look at their year to year sales and see what a significant increase they are making. Nokia may have figures to support high smartphone sales but the were once the mighty kings with over 60% smartphone market share??

You can easily dress up these figures with sales of like the cheap 5800XM but how much do they make from such a device. I'm fairly sure they are hardly make a profit from them but as long as the figures look good... If you take out the 5800XM their smartphone sales is on a decline.

Please don't go on about N97 topping vodafone chart in the UK. Wow, one month, a new hyped handset, on one network, in one country...

Rant over.

Old 31-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Unregistered

Why not a detachable xenon flash ?
Nothing new , Ive seen it in the past with pop-port.

Old 31-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

Crippled phones sold by Nokia?

What an absolutely terrible argument. If a manufacturer could fit everything in a device to please everyone then they wouldn't sell any phones as the device would be too expensive!!! Smartphones have to be affordable.

You could apply the same argument to the iphone, Blackberry, and HTC. Phones crippled by having poor cameras, and no xenon.

I note the Omnia HD is 200 MORE than the N86, and people are comparing both. Why?

Maybe Nokia should do the same as Sony Ericsson and concentrate on a real camera phone, rather than trying to mix in as many features into one? It's not done Sony Ericsson any harm has it..............?

Old 31-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Unregistered

It's the XENON FLASH stupid! make all the excuses you want. that is why i use the N82. put a xenon flash on the N97 and i'll buy it... widen the N82 and put a qwerty on it the world would buy MILLIONS!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Brian_CaB is on a distinguished road
Have been doing a little digging around.
The code base allows for several obvious camera functions to be accessed and two way communication via USB can sync a timing circuit to to milliseconds. A peripheral device would accommodate variable flash intensity options if the light sensor output can be accessed.

The sensor on the N86 is excellent, no question, but the Samsung i8510 and other like camera phones with xenon support would have to be right up there.

Perhaps a peripheral approach with a sleeve to support lenses would cross the divide between camera and camera phone allowing for effects such as stroboscopic photography when coupled with variable aperture management.

However, that goes beyond the great LED/Xenon user base wars present here and abouts.

Cramming everything into a small package is all well and good but the people arguing for serious camera functionality in a phone often leave out the serious approach that photographers take by adding peripherals.

If you give a mouse a cookie or a camera phone user a xenon flash...