All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-07-2009, 07:56 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chimp View Post
Well I am going to go out on a limb here & I have no scientific tests to back this up so it's my own personal experience of the two devices but I would say, allowing for connection issues, that my 3GS renders pages considerably faster than my 5800XM used to do.

I don't want to be seen as just flying the flag for the 3GS here as I am sure other devices such as the Pre, i8910HD & even possible the Hero enjoy a better performance than most of the devices listed here. But you wouldn't know as they weren't tested.
i have no doubt that the new iphone 3gs will perform faster. of course it will, nobody is saying otherwise.

Old 21-07-2009, 09:52 PM
DanielW

Have you tried o3?

Hello,

you should have tried the o3 browser (3rd party free browser using a quite new webkit, but still in alpha or something state).

On my E71 it is way faster than the standard browser. But ok it is not replace yet, but anyway nice to see that my E71 can be much faster. I really hope Nokia will push the updates to their standard browser down to the "older" phones (E71 is not really old after all).

Old 21-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Group51 is on a distinguished road
More than just speed though...

I was a poster above saying that my iPhone 3GS rendered the Times site at exactly the same speed as Rafe's N86. I am impressed, but there is a big difference.

Here is a screenshot from Rafe's video:

http://gallery.me.com/chrismahon/100052/Picture%203

Although technically it renders correctly, apart from the Logo, everything is in the same blocky terminal-like font, just like my old Nokia N71. And here's my 3GS:

http://gallery.me.com/chrismahon#100052/Fonts

Maybe it's just me, but its a far more natural experience on the iPhone, and more like how the designer intended.

And I am amazed by the N97. Such a big screen, but it displays only the corner of the page. Even though Web has the ability to display the whole page (in it's history function). That was the big innovation of Web, and yet it is only properly implemented on the iPhone. The point is, why should I have to scroll as soon as the page is loaded, when I can just look and double-tap on what I want to read?

So, for the love of fonts, Nokia, add a few more.

Old 22-07-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group51 View Post
I was a poster above saying that my iPhone 3GS rendered the Times site at exactly the same speed as Rafe's N86. I am impressed, but there is a big difference.

Here is a screenshot from Rafe's video:

http://gallery.me.com/chrismahon/100052/Picture%203

Although technically it renders correctly, apart from the Logo, everything is in the same blocky terminal-like font, just like my old Nokia N71. And here's my 3GS:

http://gallery.me.com/chrismahon#100052/Fonts

Maybe it's just me, but its a far more natural experience on the iPhone, and more like how the designer intended.

And I am amazed by the N97. Such a big screen, but it displays only the corner of the page. Even though Web has the ability to display the whole page (in it's history function). That was the big innovation of Web, and yet it is only properly implemented on the iPhone. The point is, why should I have to scroll as soon as the page is loaded, when I can just look and double-tap on what I want to read?

So, for the love of fonts, Nokia, add a few more.
That seems to be the fault of nokia. Their default zoom level is closer when a page first loads. Where it looks like the iphone loads at a higher overview zoom level. Of course after the page loads on the n97 you can zoom out and get the same view as the iphone. But this isn't what the browser defaults to.

I will say that i love my 5800 screen resolution when browsing the web compared to my roommates android browser and his iphone even. Cause in landscape view the 640 pixels pretty much gives you the whole page on most sites. And it looks so sharp and crisp.
Ads

Old 22-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

you have to take into account the time wasted until the page is readable or usable.

on iphone etc, once the text loads you can jump in and start reading. on n97..... i think you would have to wait till the rest loads. and iphone seems to present a much more interesting page whilst loading. n97 doesn't seem to load pictures until the very end.

sometimes on 3g connections, n95 would wait until most of the html page was loaded before it could render it. now thats just poor design. there is no reason to wait for all the data to come through.

on 3g its slow, so thats why n95 is so poor. i would assume n97 even though faster doesn't fix those problems. also the threading on n97 is so poor that, most pages would pause at loading time. and you couldn't do anything until its fully loaded.

Old 22-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Okay, I've got the iPhone 3GS sat right here, and it'll be joined by the N97 shortly. I'll test some sites and post the results soon.

Old 22-07-2009, 02:23 PM

psiegumfeldt is on a distinguished road
I think Rafe it makes sense if you do more tests once you get the i8910HD a 3GS or semilar that you also try and test the new S60 browser with flash content disabled as none of the above loads flash content. I think this is a more fair comparison.

This naturally also makes sense for people trying to do this themselves (Jaggz and others).

Old 22-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiegumfeldt View Post
I think Rafe it makes sense if you do more tests once you get the i8910HD a 3GS or semilar that you also try and test the new S60 browser with flash content disabled as none of the above loads flash content. I think this is a more fair comparison.

This naturally also makes sense for people trying to do this themselves (Jaggz and others).
Very much agree with this, the i8910HD would be particularly informative as it's using the same browser but running on a newer hardware platform.

Old 22-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chimp View Post
Very much agree with this, the i8910HD would be particularly informative as it's using the same browser but running on a newer hardware platform.
well we could deduce that if the n86 can match the iphone 3gs (pending someone post their results), then it would only be natural to assume that the i8910HD be able to match the iphone 3gs, since it has the newer CPU hardware.

Old 23-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Unregistered

ps: just found out i can load multiple tabs on iphone 3gs all at the same time. its still liquid smooth.

symbian eat ur heart out.

Old 23-07-2009, 11:31 AM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
well we could deduce that if the n86 can match the iphone 3gs (pending someone post their results), then it would only be natural to assume that the i8910HD be able to match the iphone 3gs, since it has the newer CPU hardware.
Well who knows being as neither device was tested here, plus I believe phones like the 3GS & Pre render pages in a different way from those using the S60 browser which needs to be factored in.

Old 23-07-2009, 03:30 PM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Okay, I've tried loading up several popular pages including my own blog, and I'd say that the iPhone 3GS is about 35% faster than the N97 for basic web page loading and compositing.

Old 24-07-2009, 07:53 AM

psiegumfeldt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggz View Post
Okay, I've tried loading up several popular pages including my own blog, and I'd say that the iPhone 3GS is about 35% faster than the N97 for basic web page loading and compositing.
Not that I dont believe the 3GS is faster than N97 but what kind of test is that? Did you try with the pages from Rafe's test and what are the load times for the two?

Have you tried to disable the flash content loading in the N97? This does make a difference on pages with flash content.

We are curious about the test results so please give us some figures so we can compare with the ones in Rafe's test.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

There are weird numbers in the Proxy Browsing Speed figure x-axis?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

What's the point of including the iphone on this test? It just created bashing..

This was suppose to be a test to show how much faster is the new web browser compare to prior version.