All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Wishmaker is on a distinguished road
N8 or E7 ?

Please find below an interesting approach to differentiate between them :

Which one should I get and why? I cannot seem to make up my mind due to the fact that I owned the 9300i, the E90, E70, E72 , etc. As you can see I am an E-series type of guy but the E7 does not strike me as a pure communicator :(.

Old 20-11-2010, 10:10 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Your history

indicates a desire for a physical keyboard.
The E7 is the obvious choice.
You just get a few more bells and whistles .. the lack of micro SD is made up by the Host controller .. but why oh why don't they include it in the box?

The N8 is a media creation device first and foremost. The E7 is a text communications device first and foremost.

bear this in mind .. you can connect the N8 to a bluetooth or a corded keyboard via the host controller.

Old 21-11-2010, 09:04 AM

src81 is on a distinguished road
E7 is not actually a typical nokia E series phone. Rather you can call it a (bigger N8+physical qwerty - some features + full quick office). So you can call it a hybrid of multimedia and business phone.
Ads

Old 21-11-2010, 11:23 AM

Thank you all for your answer. As it was stated, I am a sucker for physical keyboards. At the moment I can get the N8 for 430 euros, contract free. When the E7 hits the shelves it will usually be 150-200 euros more. This has been the trend with Nokia communicator devices. If this is not the case, and their prices are similar, price will not be the de facto criterion anymore.

Old 23-11-2010, 12:23 AM

Bump

I ordered the N8. It should arrive in 1, 2 weeks. I hope I did not make a mistake by going, yet again, Nokia. I am surrounded by iPhones and Android devices. Hope my blind fanboyism for Nokia won't cost me !

NOKIA! I want a new FW out by the time I get the N8. Better touch, better browser and better performance!!!

Old 23-11-2010, 06:16 AM

src81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
Bump

I ordered the N8. It should arrive in 1, 2 weeks. I hope I did not make a mistake by going, yet again, Nokia. I am surrounded by iPhones and Android devices. Hope my blind fanboyism for Nokia won't cost me !

NOKIA! I want a new FW out by the time I get the N8. Better touch, better browser and better performance!!!
just being curious....why it will take 2 weeks for you to get it delivered???? I got it over the counter.....cash out phone in..

and yes....you will get better touch, better browser and better performance compared to all other nokia devices till date....

Old 23-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
you went N8... surprised... enjoy tho

Old 23-11-2010, 01:34 PM

I buy it from my service provider. I will get it very cheap if I keep my current contract so it is a very good deal. The drawback is that they do not have the N8 in stock because the demand is quite low. I have to wait 1 week max 2 to get my hands on it.

Why did I go N8?

1. Price. It is cheaper than the E7.
2. It has the expansion slot. The E7 does not so, if I want to add another 16GB or , heck, 32 GB I can.
3. The camera and the auto-focus option. Bad Nokia for putting that 8 mp without auto focus on E7.
4. The E7 is not a pure communicator device.
5. Package content on the E7. Why did they remove all those cables??

Old 23-11-2010, 01:46 PM

dvbotet is on a distinguished road
I got a C7 which is not that different form an N8 and I took it back to the store: disapointing! As for me, change brand or wait for something newer and DIFFERENT from Nokia

Old 23-11-2010, 01:50 PM

How do i close my account from this forum? any one knows? I've been searching around and I could not find it!

Old 23-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvbotet View Post
I got a C7 which is not that different form an N8 and I took it back to the store: disapointing! As for me, change brand or wait for something newer and DIFFERENT from Nokia
Feel like sharing why you took it back?? I want to know what annoyed you.

Old 23-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Let's see:

When I got it out from the box, brand new, it did not work at all. I had to go back to the store for a new one.

After that incident I found:

The touch screen seems to be too sensitive, sometimes Apps open without being touched...

The internet browser froze from time to time and it is really bad!! I had to use Opera!

Wifi did not work properly. Sometimes it lost connection, and the way to switch it off through the direct access in the main screen did not work quite well. Some times it took up to several tries touching the screen to switch off the wifi as it did not show up all the options when taping in it.

For such an advanced phone with S3 the menus were organized in the same way as previous version, with the difference that every time more and more we get more options, so, it makes it difficult and not intuitive.

The phone itself, does not represent anything really new or different such as having Android or Iphone, it is just about more of the same, but with more complicated options to find and to set up.

Apps in Ovi store are not that good and varied. Many providers do not thing on issuing apps for Nokia. There's barely anything in Catalan.

As for positive things:

It comes with Catalan menus and predictive Catalan text, as well as with Catalan language instructions. It is easy to personalize and to play around, no need for itunes and all these controlled things.

It comes with a full navigation GPS for "free" (well, included within the price)

Camera is good, but if I want a good camera I'll get one. Mobile is a mobile.

Briefing: nothing really new... more of the same and getting complicated to use.

Design and size are great!!! Perhaps using the same hardware but with Android would be much more fashionable and open wide!

Sorry for my English

Old 23-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it and your english is very good. I hope my N8 will not have the same issues and it will not suffer from the annoying fault some have !!

Old 27-11-2010, 04:06 PM

I ordered the N8. I opted for the black / grey whatever it is called. It should arrive in a week. I hope it will be free of hardware issues. Also, I see that the N8 has issues with Outlook 2010.

I am using W7 x64 Ultimate with Office 2003 32 bits because PC Suite does not support Outlook 64. Is there anyone here that can confirm that the N8 syncs with Outlook 2010 without doing workarounds?

Old 27-11-2010, 05:23 PM

jerm is on a distinguished road
geez, enough about the n8 with android already.