All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-06-2009, 09:20 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks, I respect your opinion. Please keep them coming. We're always looking at how to satisfy the more involved users. This is an area we are looking at for future products...
well, since you ask, and if you are still reading this:
- I believe in the rule of thirds, it really improves my compositions. So the grid view is nice. But I can't enable it by default....
- As said, I take most pictures (with N82) on 'soft' setting as I believe it then switches off the sharpening routines. (Same comment as above applies by the way, except that I can use the 'user defined' setting). The unsharp mask I apply with the Gimp batch process has the following settings, which give a good result surprisingly often: Radius 3, amount 0.55, threshold (very important) 12. Not supersharp, but very natural-looking.
- for video, why not implement an initial focus? Seems like a software thing, and it solves the problem (feature) of the latest devices focusing on infinite distance.

Of course there's more, but lets not get carried away

Old 23-06-2009, 07:35 PM
2funky

i am tired of these phones from Nokia that are still the same since 10 y. and they just add a little thing every time.... they are old old old... uhhh i see bad days coming for Nokia in the future....

Old 24-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

N86

Look i have 3 Nokia N86s in 5 days from Carphone Warehouse an All 3 of them have gone FAULTY so thats it with the N86,i will stick to still the Best Nokia mobile produced the N95 8gb,the Centre button on all my N86s as Frozen an then unable to text on use an feature it even happened to the Carphone Warehouse assistant to prove i was not lying,Nokia should have made the Outside buttons on the N86 larger as they are to small indeed except for the menu button,why couldn"t all the outside buttons be the same size as the menu button,the Speakers were placed in the wrong position as my N95 8gb outclasses the sound from the speakers as they are on either side of the mobile not the same side like the N86,Nokia please go back to Finland to Produce mobiles not China as they become very unreliable from China an your sales will get worst from your own big mistake,it might be cost cutting but people want reliable mobiles nowdays thank you Nokia
Ads

Old 26-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
iPlayer isn't supported yet, but is surely only a matter of someone at the BBC flicking a switch!
It seems that the switch has been flicked! My N86 arrived yesterday and not only is iPlayer pre-installed but it also includes the 'download' functionality. Cheers Beeb!

Tim

Old 26-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

N86 - Raised keys are just perfect. Travel is fine and robustness is super. When I showed the phone to my friend in the pub tonight (for 'tis Friday!) his initial response was that it was *so* Sony. I see what he means. The hardware buttons seem to be a Sony-style design and that's great - they really are nice and a joy to use atter the 'flat' keypad of the N96/81 etc.

iTunes sync wouldn't work with Nokia Multimedia transfer. I followed the usual procedure but the Mac just didn't 'see' the phone at all. Workaround was to put the 16GB MicroSD Card into the N96 and sync it with iTunes then simply take the card out and put it into the N86. All content preserved (though obviously not the Safari Browser Bookmarks - which are saved to internal and not card). Then it all sync'd just fine.

Goosync didn't work for GMail Calendar until I told Goosync that it was an N96. Then it worked fine.

Google syncml worked fine for Contacts straight away.

Still testing.

Tim

Old 30-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Brar

Web Link N82/n86 8mp

hey look at comparison over here...
http://brar.wordpress.com/2009/06/30...on-and-review/

Old 30-06-2009, 07:33 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brar View Post
hey look at comparison over here...
http://brar.wordpress.com/2009/06/30...on-and-review/
Great! Thanks for post

Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Unregistered

Active standby

Anyone how knows if this the latest nseries gives the possibility to let the user chose which of all the fancy active standby items to show and most importantly not to show? Previously this feature where only reserved to the e-series phones, please tell me that´s not the case any more.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 AM

davesmith is on a distinguished road
Both my N95 and now my N86, can personalise which icons to have on the standby menu.
I can either turn it off completly or choose which application or bookmark to use for the 6 links, and the left/right soft keys.
On the N86 I can alos choose to have email updates on the standby screen or not.

Its all very easily personailised.

Old 15-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Unregistered

N86 performence

iam using n86 since 15 days, the performance is very slow, it hangs many times a day, it hangs when i type msgs, hangs when i take photos continuesly, when it hangs it even doesnot work switchoff button, again i need to remove and reinsert the battery to make it work, i already reinstalled the software using software updater from nokia but no use, waiting for firmware upgrade,hoping for the best

Old 15-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
iam using n86 since 15 days, the performance is very slow, it hangs many times a day, it hangs when i type msgs, hangs when i take photos continuesly, when it hangs it even doesnot work switchoff button, again i need to remove and reinsert the battery to make it work, i already reinstalled the software using software updater from nokia but no use, waiting for firmware upgrade,hoping for the best
That sounds terrible and doesn't sound much like a bunch of stuff that should be going on even for a pre-retail device. I fear that the v11 FW is not going to sort all that out as it should be working anyway. I would suggest a swift return to Nokia and try a new one.

Tim

Old 16-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Rather suspect that you're either a troll, you're someone who's installed a load of non-compatible software, or someone with a faulty device. My N86 has been very well-behaved so far. Only one crash in two weeks of use. For a v11 firmware, that's not bad for Nokia.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Unregistered

Mick of Milton Keynes

I recently got an N86 8mp as my work phone. Having played about with it a bit I find it a very nice device to use. However I have encountered a problem. It keeps turning itself off, and or re-booting itself. I wondered if any one else was experiencing a similar issue.
Many thanks
Mick.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

i got one anf it's working perfect, and i got one question about video recording; in this review it's mentioned that it has pre-focus for video recording. no it's not or i just can't find it!?
got v10 firmware. btw video is perfect, clear, detailed and much much better then any n-series

Old 08-08-2009, 01:04 AM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
Having owned an N95, 5800 and E75 I am really enjoying the N86. Its a solid N95 replacement with a better low light camera (forget the extra resolution unless you want to zoom a bit). A solid phone which is the pinnacle of non-touch S60 design. The weight is not problem. The only annoyance is the stiff shutter button. The lens cover is fine, it doesn't scratch like the N97. If you you like S60, and can do without qwerty and touch screen this is the best you can get.