All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Jowls is on a distinguished road
Question Call recorder that doesnt beep

I would like to record all my calls on my 9300i and have treid out a few call recorders that fit the bill. Except for one thing: they all beep every few seconds. For some strange reason implementing this seem to be a consensus among several programmers - along with the fact that there is no way of disabling it.

This behavior is quite annoying and of course unacceptable in daily use. Are there any call recorders for Symbian S80 that does not do this?

Old 20-12-2006, 05:42 PM

gotan is on a distinguished road
Why is this strange?

Old 21-12-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotan
Why is this strange?
Because as far as call recorders go it is a cripling feature that makes the applications into some kind of "proof of concept" rather than something you can actually use in a normal daily situation.

Every programmer has his/her own idea of what constitutes the perfect application for any given area. This means that in most areas you can find many different programs each offering a unique blend of features that the programmer thought would make his/her program stand out from the competition. With this in mind, isnt it then strange that all authors of call recorder apps seem to have decided that the user will love to have something running in the back-ground interrupting all his phone conversation with a loud beep every 30 seconds?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 PM

ktabic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowls
Because as far as call recorders go it is a cripling feature that makes the applications into some kind of "proof of concept" rather than something you can actually use in a normal daily situation.
AFAIK there is no way to avoid the beeping in call recording software, since it is implemented at a hardware level.
The beeping is there to inform both parties that the call is being recording, and is implemented because in some parts of the world, it is legal to record a call with the permission of one party, in other places, all parties must agree to the recording.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktabic
AFAIK there is no way to avoid the beeping in call recording software, since it is implemented at a hardware level.
This is very interesting and would naturally explain why no programmers seem to be able to get around it. Do you know whether the implementation of the beep is in the actual hardware of the phone or whether it is a Symbian OS "feature"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktabic
The beeping is there to inform both parties that the call is being recording, and is implemented because in some parts of the world, it is legal to record a call with the permission of one party, in other places, all parties must agree to the recording.
In my part of the world it is ok if one party is aware of the recording, so using a recorder is not ilegal for me.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM

ktabic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is very interesting and would naturally explain why no programmers seem to be able to get around it. Do you know whether the implementation of the beep is in the actual hardware of the phone or whether it is a Symbian OS "feature"?
Everything I've seen about it indicates it's hardware. But I don't know for certain.

Quote:
In my part of the world it is ok if one party is aware of the recording, so using a recorder is not ilegal for me.
Same here, afaik, it's only a few states in the US that it's a legal requirement for.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:25 PM

rawanabusalman is on a distinguished road
apparently there are many asking this question...im reffering them to your post :P

regards...

Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawanabusalman
I am currently using a small application called 'beep off'....i attached it for you....the only drawback there is to it is that it does not start automatically when the phone is turned on...
Thank you Rawanabusalman - that sounds very interesting. I will try this out asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawanabusalman
EDIT: Make sure you are in the 'part of the world where it is not illegeal'!!
Regards
I am.

And frankly the sense behind it not being legal in some places of the world completely eludes me. You have a log of all your SMS'es and all your E-mails, so why not your voice calls as well? I do not find this very logical.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:45 PM

rawanabusalman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thank you Rawanabusalman - that sounds very interesting. I will try this out asap.
you're most welcome...

Quote:
And frankly the sense behind it not being legal in some places of the world completely eludes me. You have a log of all your SMS'es and all your E-mails, so why not your voice calls as well? I do not find this very logical
I agree...i just had to put that small sentence in the end to come off clean...hehe...

EDIT: Another drwaback guys for the Beep Off applicatoin....i just figured out.....apparently, when its running, it turns off the warning tones too!(after the first call....) i had it running and the warning tones were on..but after the first call, there was no beep while recording but warning tones and even the keypad tones were off too! couldnt turn them on again untill i restarted the phone....might be a little annoying as i always have warning tones and keypad tones on (except in silent mode)....but for the moment, its the best we have.....

hope we'll find something better...either a recorder with no beeps, or a fix for that thing in beep off! (along with the autostart feature...)

Regards....

Last edited by rawanabusalman; 07-01-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Old 19-04-2007, 03:03 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
I realise this is an old thread but Ultimate Voice Recorder is a decent app and doesn't beep when recording. It also has a feature that lets you record memos which is capable of recording while video or radio is playing back.

Old 18-06-2007, 09:37 PM

xxxyyy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts View Post
I realise this is an old thread but Ultimate Voice Recorder is a decent app and doesn't beep when recording. It also has a feature that lets you record memos which is capable of recording while video or radio is playing back.
SORRY to tell but i DOSNT work on my Nokia 6110 navigtor (sym 60 3rd vers.)
can anybody help me out.. I ll gladly pay for the app.

best regards from Denmark

Old 23-12-2007, 01:23 PM

incredibleali is on a distinguished road
thnk
Ads

Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 PM

rafeeque1985 is on a distinguished road
thax

thax buddy

thank u for ur gr8 support

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 PM

rafeeque1985 is on a distinguished road