All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-07-2002, 11:05 AM

happygeek is on a distinguished road
Brilliant DVD Rental Scheme (UK Only)

Hope it is OK to post this here, I'm sure Rafe will pull it if not

Anyway, I have been beta testing an online service for UK residents only at this stage (there are plans to go Europe-wide soon AIUI) and it has now gone 'live'. It is so good, and pretty unique, that I signed up for a paid subscription straight away. I know the guys behind the thing, and they are a reliable bunch - you really can't lose if you do decide to take a look as they will give you a couple of weeks free usage of the service to try it out!

All I ask is that you email me davey@happygeek.com with your preferred email address so I can get them to send you the details - by doing this I get referral credits which eventually add up to a free month of membership. Don't worry about spam, these guys are very much online users and hate spam so won't be sending you any or selling your address on.

Here's the hard sell, or as hard sell as I get:

==============================

Rent as many DVDs as you want for as long as you want, for less than 10 a month. That's the offer being made by DVDSONTAP.COM, a new UK-based online DVD rental web site that's aiming to repeat the success of similar ventures in the US. Customers who subscribe to the service pay a monthly fee of as little as 9.99 to gain access to a huge library of new and classic movies. A queuing system allows them to specify the order in which they want to receive DVD titles, which are then sent by First Class mail along with a prepaid return envelope. There are no despatch or return fees and no late charges - customers just return a movie whenever it suits them, and the next in their queue is sent out straight away.

===============================

If it wasn't a damn fine service I wouldn't be recommending it here - my reputation is worth more than that. As it happens, this has totally revolutionised my DVD purchasing. Instead of spending upwards of 100 per month on films and then selling them at a loss online to recoup some of the investment, I now spend 14.99 per month and for that get to watch at least 15 films in that month, often more. I subscribe to the Silver Service which lets me have any two films out at the same time, rather than the 9.99 Bronze membership which only lets you have 1 film out at a time.

All the best

Old 30-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
If it wasn't for the fact that its you who's telling us about this, I would be deeply suspicous.

It does sound terribly good. There must be a catch somewhere? What's the penalty for late returns (and they really do provide prepaid envelopes!!!!!?)?

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 30-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
It does sound very interesting (and I agree, a might suspicious) but I'll go with Davey on this one and will be happy to hear more details (ewan@freepoc.org).
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 31-07-2002, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANKERx
If it wasn't for the fact that its you who's telling us about this, I would be deeply suspicous.

It does sound terribly good. There must be a catch somewhere? What's the penalty for late returns (and they really do provide prepaid envelopes!!!!!?)?
These guys have done their financial calculations and are convinced of the long term viability of the scheme. They buy their stock from the same distributor that supplies BlockBuster Video and really are above board and legit.

I have been using the paid for service for 2 months now, and never had a problem.

There are no penalties for late return becuase there is no such thing as a late return. It works on a queue basis, you keep the DVD (1 on bronze sub, 2 on silver and 3 on gold) for as long as you like - when you send it back and they log it into their system they send you the next title in your queue. Turnaround between posting the DVD back (in a prepaid envelope - so yes, there really are no postal charges) and getting the next one is usually 3 - 4 days.

You can organise your DVD queue from the website, adding new titles, deleting ones if you change your mind, change the order they go out in etc.

There is no catch. For once this is one of those 'I wish I had thought of that' schemes that really does work...

Old 31-07-2002, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan-FreEPOC
It does sound very interesting (and I agree, a might suspicious) but I'll go with Davey on this one and will be happy to hear more details (ewan@freepoc.org).
I'll pass your details on, and you should hear from them RSN.

Please do report back here with your findings if you sign up for the free trial, just to add another opinion than mine :-)

Old 01-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek
Please do report back here with your findings if you sign up for the free trial, just to add another opinion than mine :-)
Well, I've signed up and will let people know what happens. Looks okay, terms and conditions are pretty reasonable.
Ads

Old 02-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Jus tot let people know, I signed up on Wed evening, and my first DVD from this service arrived in the post Friday morning. It's working so far!

Old 02-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
I mentioned this to a friend of mine yesterday. He got his 1st DVD today!

So it sounds O.K.

Andy

Old 03-08-2002, 12:54 AM

N9210 is on a distinguished road
LOL - love #10 in the T&C's

Occassionally DVDs are lost in the post. In this situation, we will despatch a replacement. However, DVDSONTAP.COM reserve the right to ban a subscriber for life if it becomes apparent that the postal service in the subscriber's area is too unreliable.

In other word - Stop stealing our DVD's and blaming it on the postman!!!

Old 03-08-2002, 04:03 PM

Loonyworld is on a distinguished road
Grrr......WHY AM I DANISH ops:

Sounds nice

HA HA HA HA HA
Quote:
LOL - love #10 in the T&C's

Occassionally DVDs are lost in the post. In this situation, we will despatch a replacement. However, DVDSONTAP.COM reserve the right to ban a subscriber for life if it becomes apparent that the postal service in the subscriber's area is too unreliable.

In other word - Stop stealing our DVD's and blaming it on the postman!!!