All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
@doonit: Microsoft? They just released the best OS in their history. And the Zunes are as good as anyone. Winmo, despite being clunky and cumbersome, remains perhaps the most customizable phone OS around.

Nokia? Oh yes, Maemo 5. Beyond that....sigh

Old 02-11-2009, 05:58 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
this has to be embarrassing for nokia. i will tell you exactly why Ngage was a failure, lack of 3D graphics hardware. when Ngage first started, the n95 and n82 were popular, and it seemed logical that nokia would only use phones with 3d hardware for Ngage. i remember there was ONE game that actually used the graphics hardware on the n95, and it was pretty awesome. then what does nokia do? they stop making phones with 3d hardware. duh.

look at the iphone gaming, the reason it is so good and popular is because the iphone has top end HARDWARE so the gaming experience is worth it. is this really so hard for nokia to have figured out? i don't care about the excuse that they wanted to have Ngage reach as many phones as possible. they should have made an entire range of top end phones with 3d hardware for the Ngage platform. then it would have had a chance to take off. instead they watered it down by making every cheap hardware phone attempt to be Ngage compatible, and look where things went. dead.

these things are not rocket science, i don't understand why nokia can't figure them out.
Ads

Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
this has to be embarrassing for nokia. i will tell you exactly why Ngage was a failure, lack of 3D graphics hardware. when Ngage first started, the n95 and n82 were popular, and it seemed logical that nokia would only use phones with 3d hardware for Ngage. i remember there was ONE game that actually used the graphics hardware on the n95, and it was pretty awesome. then what does nokia do? they stop making phones with 3d hardware. duh.

look at the iphone gaming, the reason it is so good and popular is because the iphone has top end HARDWARE so the gaming experience is worth it. is this really so hard for nokia to have figured out? i don't care about the excuse that they wanted to have Ngage reach as many phones as possible. they should have made an entire range of top end phones with 3d hardware for the Ngage platform. then it would have had a chance to take off. instead they watered it down by making every cheap hardware phone attempt to be Ngage compatible, and look where things went. dead.

these things are not rocket science, i don't understand why nokia can't figure them out.
You've hit the nail on the head at a slight angle, but basically you're right.

The N82 & N95 still have hardware thats got considerably greater gaming potential than any of the current releases bar the N900.

And to be honest, even the N900 lags behind the iPhone - almost the same hardware, bar the graphics abilities, which have about half the processing power of that in the iPhone.

I really had high hopes on the N95 platform for gaming, and Nokia decided against offering the 3D support for the N-Gage platform - utterly ridiculous.

Apples success is also down to the relative ease of development.

Nokia seems to have an allergy to common sense at times, and seem to go for the lower common denominator. Platform sharing does make sense wrt economies of scale, but to be honest does it really make sense for the end user if they find out that their shiny N97 has the same basic processing abilities (ie gaming) as the 5530 at a third/quarter of the price? Every S60 touch device from Nokia has the same processor, clock rate and memory.

Old 14-12-2010, 09:22 AM

richard1ana is on a distinguished road
In my opinion the only good thing the Ngage had was the games I mean what else do you think of when you hear the word "ngage"... and the game application was the only thing that survied from the ngage.. Just an other good example of:"we wan't too much and we know it but we do it anyway" ..