All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 01-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia closing Ovi Files service on October 1st

Nokia Experts reports that Ovi Files, Nokia's remote file access and cloud based file mirroring / storage solution, will be discontinued on October 1st. The announcement is a set back to Nokia's Ovi service ambitions, but with relatively few users and low awareness the long-term impact is likely to be small. A number of third party services, such as SugarSync and DropBox, provide a similar service for those who need to move off Ovi Files.

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Unregistered

Rumour has it that Ovi Share is for the chop too

Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 AM

hary536 is on a distinguished road
It's unfortunate that they are closing Ovi Files.
This is and was a very good product, but poor marketing and awareness has caused the problem. It is offering 10gb of free space man!
Dropbox offers only 2GB free space, yet people use it and want it.

I thought that Nokia would improve this service, as it can be a major selling point for their mobile ecosystem. I think, they just needed to do proper marketing.
Why are they dropping an arsenal one by one from their portfolio, yet spend millions on stupid marketing with film-stars and models.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 AM
Unregistered

What made Ovi Files stand out from other services was that you could access files on your remote PC even if they weren't synced to your online mirror. It was kind of a merger of DropBox and BacktomyMac. Saved my bacon once when I'd left a file at home.

It's a real pity it's going. I use DropBox as well but it's a bit of a CPU hog whereas Ovi Files wasn't.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 AM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Besides consolidation to core services, I'm sure this is also a way for Nokia to save money. From what I've read the Nokia -Siemens Networks side is a giant black hole of a money pit and both parties are looking to exit the partnership sooner rather than later.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Unregistered

Ovi had an online file store? Why didn't anyone tell me? ????

Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Unregistered

Pity it had to go

I actually use(d) it.

I wonder what's to become of Contacts and Agenda (+ notes and todos) because I use that too. It has improved a lot lately, it works fine for me and I would recommend it without hesitation.

Would be a shame if it also had to go, because combined with ovi mail it really is an alternative for the google suite of services, if you don't feel like using that.
Ads

Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Unregistered

Bull..

"Jimmy1
Besides consolidation to core services, I'm sure this is also a way for Nokia to save money. From what I've read the Nokia -Siemens Networks side is a giant black hole of a money pit and both parties are looking to exit the partnership sooner rather than later."

@Jimmy1: As usual you're talking bullshit. To prove my point utterly, read the Q2 reports here, before talking anymore nonsense:

http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/fin...al-information

Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hary536 View Post
It's unfortunate that they are closing Ovi Files.
This is and was a very good product, but poor marketing and awareness has caused the problem. It is offering 10gb of free space man!
Dropbox offers only 2GB free space, yet people use it and want it.

I thought that Nokia would improve this service, as it can be a major selling point for their mobile ecosystem. I think, they just needed to do proper marketing.
Why are they dropping an arsenal one by one from their portfolio, yet spend millions on stupid marketing with film-stars and models.
Oh damn is that was it is, I remem ber go to ovi.com but could never work out what it was, I thought it was just a browser upload storage thing. If I had known it was a dropbox with 10GB I would have used it but how was it connected to mobile though, is there a mobile app for it?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
I used it heavily for about a year and then it just stopped working, refusing to upload my files. Nokia's helpdesk was useless. We never got past the "Are you sure your computer is switched on?" level of questions.

I now use SugarSync and bite the bullet re costs.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"Jimmy1
Besides consolidation to core services, I'm sure this is also a way for Nokia to save money. From what I've read the Nokia -Siemens Networks side is a giant black hole of a money pit and both parties are looking to exit the partnership sooner rather than later."

@Jimmy1: As usual you're talking bullshit. To prove my point utterly, read the Q2 reports here, before talking anymore nonsense:

http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/fin...al-information
Seconded. Jimmy1 you're talking utter nonsense I'm afraid. Nokia-Siemens just won a $7 billion contract to build the LTE network in the States, and LTE is the future of the telecom network, and will give Nokia a very strong hold in the States apart from anything else.

On a side note I wish all these folk whinging about iPhones, Androids and the release date of the N8 would see what a tiny part of the big picture it is - there is so much more going on in mobile and Nokia are FAAAAAAAR bigger players than Apple or Google could ever dream of being.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:30 PM

hary536 is on a distinguished road
Ya that's true. They also had a mobile app, but not sophistacted one. I think it's just a link to the mobile website. But anyways, it used to work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlley View Post
Oh damn is that was it is, I remem ber go to ovi.com but could never work out what it was, I thought it was just a browser upload storage thing. If I had known it was a dropbox with 10GB I would have used it but how was it connected to mobile though, is there a mobile app for it?

Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seconded. Jimmy1 you're talking utter nonsense I'm afraid. Nokia-Siemens just won a $7 billion contract to build the LTE network in the States, and LTE is the future of the telecom network, and will give Nokia a very strong hold in the States apart from anything else.
WTF???

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67U2YS20100831

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...-interest.html

Yeah, because Reuters and Bloomberg are anti-Nokia U.S. gadget blogs.

Please.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
So Nokia waste years arsing around trying to turn themselves into an iinternet services company without any skill set at it, meanwhile forgetting to do their core business (making handsets and platforms for them) . Now they are quietly getting out of trying to take on the whole of Internet and Web (mobile or otherwise) innovation and are correctly reverting to their core business only just in time.

However it's all very reminiscent of Ngage - years and millions (billions in this case) messing around whilst the rest of the market actually executes. Quite how Nokia decided they were going to be an internet company and step into Google land whilst ironically standing by and watching Google push Nokia off it's own hill, we can only speculate on. But saf to say it's not gone well and the disintegration of their share price reflects this sorry muddle and misdirection and waste of time, resources, capital and most importantly perhaps market opportunity (early mover).

Sure we may see the fruit of the developer push in 2011 but isn't that always the case with Nokia - "always Jam tomorrow never Jam today". Weren't we meant to be seeing the fruit of their services push arriving in 2010? Instead of which they appear to be cutting them due to (unsurprising to those watching on) low take up. So apart from dropping cloud sharing what's next for the chop? as none of their service strategy appears to be producing revenue. Ovi Music, Contacts (seriously are they trying to rival established social networks) Calendar?, the list of what they've cobbled together over the last couple of years goes on. Meanwhile Apple make millions of gaming - that Nokia no longer support (not even the hardware until new units arrive later this year). Their shares are stuck amongst the worst performing tech companies over the last few years and it's not just analysts ignoring or undervaluing them they really have made a fist of it.. It's like a train crash happening in slow motion and only the passengers (Nokia, Symbian and their acolytes) can't see it coming.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Unregistered

Shane from Nokia

Hi, I work for Nokia. Yes, we have ramped down Ovi Files. But the long term benefits will be better for consumers because we are focusing on creating better experiences in maps, music, apps, messaging, email, IM and social networks.

For example, Ovi Maps is a cornerstone of our strategy to provide contextual services to the more than 17 million people who already use it. It's a a free, constantly updated navigation service that has the most global footprint of any of our competitors.

In addition, we currently host a digital music service that is #1 in 6 markets and an apps store that gets 1.7 million downloads daily. Nearly 14 million people in emerging markets have accessed the Internet for the first time using Ovi Mail and we will enable millions more our browser that is to come.

So we've got momentum in services...we're not going away...and forums like this one will continue to be absolutely important for us to talk with you about what you'd like to see from us in the future. I welcome your comments and suggestions, my email is below.

Shane McLaughlin
shane.1.mclaughlin(at)nokia.com