All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #16  
Old 22-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Biggles Biggles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
Biggles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
They seem to manage this (drivers for hardware compatibility, removing functions the hardware cannot cope with, etc.) quite easily on the Android platform - one of my colleagues has 2.1 running on his old unsupported Google handset thanks to a modding forum. Also as for writing a program to flash an EEPROM, nokia has released one called Phoenix, there's also 3rd party apps like JAF. All we need is for someone to supply the (modded) Nokia firmware files, but an N97 S3 mod FW is not likely.
Sure you can put a Cyanogen version of Android on a G1 with no bother at all - the hardware drivers already exist. Plus there's nothing so far in the updates that was hardware dependent. At some point there probably will be a hardware barrier to further updates and at that point you'll stop seeing updates, official or otherwise.

Recent Nokias have lacked the graphics hardware which I believe is needed for Symbian^3, so that would prevent unofficial backporting because you'd need to branch the source code and recompile it and that's a huge hassle. On the other hand, the Satio, Vivaz and i8910 have the graphics accelerator, so could probably run Symbian^3. Only problem there is that there's no flashing tools available for the Sony Ericsson handsets. Which leaves only the i8910 as a likely candidate for getting Symbian^3. I don't see Samsung doing it, but someone else might...

  #17  
Old 22-06-2010, 05:02 PM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Recent Nokias have lacked the graphics hardware which I believe is needed for Symbian^3, so that would prevent unofficial backporting because you'd need to branch the source code and recompile it and that's a huge hassle. On the other hand, the Satio, Vivaz and i8910 have the graphics accelerator, so could probably run Symbian^3. Only problem there is that there's no flashing tools available for the Sony Ericsson handsets. Which leaves only the i8910 as a likely candidate for getting Symbian^3. I don't see Samsung doing it, but someone else might...
Although S60 itself is open-source (?) I dont think Nokia's customised versions for specific handsets (with hardware drivers) will be available as souce code.
I assume the download FW files are delivered as pre-compiled binary, hence extremely difficult to edit/modify.

Let's hope we see Symbian^3 on some existing handsets, but as for the N97/N96 I think not.
__________________
Phone History: Nokia 3310,7650, 6680, N70, N80, N95, N83, N96, N97...? HTC_Desire (with FroYo 2.2)

Last edited by dez_borders; 22-06-2010 at 05:05 PM.

  #18  
Old 22-06-2010, 08:06 PM
zxon's Avatar
zxon zxon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, UK
Posts: 1,256
zxon is on a distinguished road
It doesn't matter whether the phone is capable of handing an upgrade from one version of Symbian to another, Nokia simply will not do it. If they did, we'd have seen the Symbian OS on a phone like the N95 go up from 9.2 to 9.3 (used on the N96).

We may very well see features originally made for Symbian^3 get ported to the N97 (like we got with kinetic scrolling) but we won't see OS upgrades in the way that you think of them. How else will Nokia sell their latest handsets?
__________________
Phone History

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

  #19  
Old 22-06-2010, 11:16 PM
sjdean sjdean is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: England
Posts: 222
sjdean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
They seem to manage this (drivers for hardware compatibility, removing functions the hardware cannot cope with, etc.) quite easily on the Android platform - one of my colleagues has 2.1 running on his old unsupported Google handset thanks to a modding forum.
You miss the point that Android was open source while Symbian S60 never was. When you have the open source to work out what drivers go into various things and how the OS works, PORTING (and that's a big difference) is a helluva lot easier than working blind in a closed system and starting from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Also as for writing a program to flash an EEPROM, nokia has released one called Phoenix, there's also 3rd party apps like JAF. All we need is for someone to supply the (modded) Nokia firmware files, but an N97 S3 mod FW is not likely.
NSU also does firmware updates, but again, that's closed. S3 firmware mod isn't likely because a) Nokia won't give us one, and b) S60 is a closed system.

Your argument was that it wasn't technically possible. It is technically possible, it's just that we all know, there's no profit to be had in Nokia actually doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Phone manufacturers exist to sell their product to eager customers who want the latest functionality. It is not in Nokia's best interests to back-port major new functionality in a new OS to a handset like the N97, which is already 1yr old / last year's spec, and has had so much bad press already.
Yes we know this, but you have backpedalled your argument.
Ads

  #20  
Old 23-06-2010, 03:42 PM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
Yes we know this, but you have backpedalled your argument.
Oo er missus! Who rattled your cage?

Seriously tho, are you following the cooked ROM thread?
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=95102
They seem to be hacking S60 FW to add/remove apps for performance benefits, so perhaps they could cook an X8 S^3 ROM for the N97 in the future?
I doubt the Nokia hardware & drivers are all that different between the N97 and X8 - its still a phone with Nokia camera, GPS, etc hardware.
__________________
Phone History: Nokia 3310,7650, 6680, N70, N80, N95, N83, N96, N97...? HTC_Desire (with FroYo 2.2)

Last edited by dez_borders; 23-06-2010 at 03:49 PM.

  #21  
Old 23-06-2010, 07:24 PM
lovesign's Avatar
lovesign lovesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,018
lovesign is on a distinguished road
__________________
Rob (aka Failed Muso)

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example


V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6
 

Bookmarks

Tags
mini, n97, symbian, upgraded

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Symbian release Q1 2005 figures Rafe Symbian OS News 1 26-09-2010 02:18 AM
List of N97 Product Codes lovesign Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) 6 28-10-2009 06:35 PM
Mobility Electronics first Symbian Office Partner. langdona Symbian OS News 5 10-08-2005 07:51 AM
Where is Symbian OS 9.0 Going? Ewan Symbian OS News 2 02-02-2005 01:47 PM
Symbian 8.0 officially announced. langdona Symbian OS News 2 04-10-2004 12:41 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy