All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
Right.

The one thing my n95 has taught me is that there's a lot of things a smartphone can do that you'll never actually do with it. I've had ftp. And bit torrent. And terminal clients. Never used em except to go "ooooh, look, I can do [insert impressive thing]".

The one thing my n97 has taught me is that there's a lot of things you'll want to do that just won't work properly.

The one thing my wifes iPhone taught me is that everything on it works, all the time. Pretty much without fail. It might not do all the things a smartphone can. But with something like logmein I can just remote in to my laptop and do it from there.

I dunno if you heard, but there's a new iPhone in town. Looks fab. Has a camera that's only 5mp - but I've had an n97 for the last year FFS, i'll be happy with anything halfway useable.

Envirophone will take my n95 & n97 for about 200 quid, which funnily enough is about the same as the amount of line rental I've got left on my t-mobile account.

I'll get me coat...

D
I have been using a 3gs as my main phone since last August and as a pocket computer it is really pretty good but it isn't the perfect all round device some Apple zealots would have you believe.

For those of you thinking of switching to an iPhone here are a couple of downsides to be aware of (you may already know this Dave as your wife has one already).

1. Phone reception is very poor. The 3gs regularly drops calls in locations where my N95 has no trouble holding a signal. This is reported as having been improved in iPhone 4 but it was also said that the 3gs was better in this respect that the 3g, so I'll believe it when I see it.

2. GPS reception is very poor. Whether using Copilot, Sygic Mobile, or Google Maps the position locator has a habit of switching to side roads when I am on the motorway or thinking I have turned off when I haven't. It also has a habit of freezing completely for several minutes at a stretch which has caused me to miss my junction on more than one occasion. I have finally resorted to buying a seperate gps for the car which takes this off the table as an issue for me but does mean I have a lot of wires trailing around. To be fair, Apple used to say that the built in GPS wasn't good enough for car navigation...right up to the point the first sat nav apps were released when they changed their mind. Funny that.

3. The camera is not much use unless you have rock steady hands. This is because there is no dedicated shutter button on the side of the phone. You take the picture by tapping the screen which nearly always causes my shots to blur (this might just be me though).

4. There is no built in profiles system. You can get around this, as I have, by jailbreaking the phone and installing a profiles app from Cydia but if you go down this route you do start to move away from the "it just works without any fiddling" ethos. Even with the workaround its still fiddly to change profiles in a hurry.

5. There is absolutely no way I have found to automatically download my podcasts directly to the device. Again this might just be me, others might not mind having to sync to iTunes everyday, but I do expect my phone to work standalone when I am away on business for example. Even downloading podcasts manually is a pain in the arse as you have to switch between the iPod app and the on-board iTunes over and over again. If anyone has a way to this via jailbreak or appstore PLEASE let me know as this bugs the hell out of me.

6. Notifactions of email and calendar events are of the "blink and you've missed it" variety. There is no way, out of the box, to return to a previous notification after you've cancelled it and the thing is you HAVE to cancel it if you're in the middle of doing something else as each notification appears in a seperate dialog in the middle of the screen and you have to either "cancel" or "open" before you can continue with what you are doing. If you choose to "open" you lose what you were previously doing when you come back the app you were previously in. There's plenty written about this on the web if you want more detail.

7. The built-in calendar is very average but Apple doesn't let third party developers build replacements that work against the built in calendar database. The upshot is that if you use an Exchange server or sync your calendar with Outlook you are stuck on the default calendar with nowhere to go.

8. I know its been talked about ad-nauseum but the lack of Flash video for sites like the BBC or SkyNews is irritating.

9. Having jailbroken my phone I now find it crashes every now and then, mainly when I am on phone calls unfortunately. Again, this might just be to do with the way my particular phone is configured.

All that said, the 3gs still turned out to be better for me than the N97 Mini that I trialled for two weeks. Everybody on this forum has my respect for persevering so long with the N97.

I personally hope to be able to return to Symbian with the N8 but if the user reviews on AAS after a couple of months aren't positive I expect to be going for the Motorola Milestone XT720 which has Android, a 3.7 inch screen and an 8mpx camera with a xenon flash. This is based on reviews of the current Milestone which are generally pretty positive except for the keyboard and camera.

I hope this helps with your decisions.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Talk about "Murphy's Law".

The iPhone 4 (not a 4G phone as some people think) had it's debut launch in front of the world's press in San Francisco this week.

CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs, spent 2 hours extolling its virtues but, unfortunately, all did not go to plan as this clip shows:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoqh27E6OuU

It would seem that WiFi AND 3G were causing problems for him but not for the 570 other people in the audience!

So, if you're getting an iPhone, make sure you use 3G and WiFi when no one else is, or, ask them to turn their phones off... Simples!

Last edited by ironass; 10-06-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Oh that's toe cringingly funny

Where's Kontraband ? we should make that youtube link a sticky on this forum

Old 10-06-2010, 12:57 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Yeah, you don't expect things to go wrong like that for Apple Was funny.

But the new Iphone does look stunning - I can't wait to have a little play with one, won't be long I expect. I seem to work with a load of early adopters including one who got an Ipad from the US before the UK release!

The screen has to be the coolest thing of the phone - as has been said, more pixels than the eye can see. I guess this means that phones will never go more hi res than this?

All the rest of it is old hat though, like a flash on the camera, and video calling! Video calling has been around for donkeys years. But I suppose it never took off so maybe apple think they can 're-launch' it and make it a sucess?

I'd so have one though if it wasn't for the locked down nature of Itunes etc. But I guess it's this locked ethos that makes it so relaiable and easy to use.

But thanks Dave for all your input into the N97, your app store was miles better than OVI and I used it a lot. Be sure to write up a review when you get it!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post

Be sure to write up a review when you get it!
Maybe you could all write up your HTC and Iphone lovage on an HTC/Iphone forum and then we could come visit

Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Thought I would test myself today. Left my Android at home and put my SIM back in the N97.
Half way through the working day, and I really seriously miss my HTC Desire. The grass IS greener in the non-symbian world (IMO).

comment to Nokia: You really need to play catch-up and be quick about it, or your smartphone customer base is going to shrink down to zero.
Aawww i'm really happy for you Dez - so sorry that you couldn't get the N97 to work for you

Old 10-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
I'm off too...

I've been suffering with the N97 and Vodafone combination since October 2009 and I have never experienced anything like it in my life (and I've been in Spain for years dealing with Movistar, so that says a lot!)... I have had Nokia's since the 101 and the N97 has killed it for me. I will also never be going near Vodafone again either. I previously had a N95 with O2 and couldn't fault the terminal OR the network.

Sorry Nokia, this is the end.

Looks like I may venture into the Iphone world afterall (after swearing not to!)...

Bye all

Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
@Dave - Know exactly where you are coming from re: N97 frustrations.

I never ever thought I would say this, but I too am buying the iPhone 4, and Im an avid Nokia enthusiast. I guess I took to my new MacBook pro so much, but saying that, this was because it simply works, and does what its told.

My MBP was expensive, but for the sheer joy, and pleasure using it, working on it, and managing my work/photos/HD videos on it, its been the best investment I have ever made. Now if the iPhone4 offers me the same user experience as my MBP has, then I will be happy.

I have had enough too with my N97 trying to optimize it's poor memory, and Nokia should be ashamed calling it their flagship. I wanted to love it, I really did, I do like the form-factor, but thats it, its a ferrari with a mini cooper engine, period.!

I will always be a Nokia enthusiast though, as I have Nokia in my blood having worked for them around the globe. I just hope they can pull through this rough patch, I really do.
Ads

Old 10-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
All the rest of it is old hat though, like a flash on the camera, and video calling! Video calling has been around for donkeys years. But I suppose it never took off so maybe apple think they can 're-launch' it and make it a sucess?
Perhaps someone here might know the answer to this:-

I'm given to understand that video calling on the iPhone 4 requires another iPhone 4 to receive it. A bit like iPhone's answer to not being able to Bluetooth to any other phones, the Shake and Share, which only works with another iPhone.

Last edited by ironass; 10-06-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:11 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post

I'm given to understand that video calling on the iPhone 4 requires another iPhone 4 to receive it. A bit like iPhone's answer to not being able to Bluetooth to any other phones, the Shake and Share, which only works with another iPhone.
It is indeed iPhone4 to iPhone4 only. I'm assuming it's a proprietory format - and current it's wi-fi only.

But it'll never catch on. Currently, to make a phone call you don't need to do your hair/not be naked/look interested/not be on the toilet. People like it that way. Video calling is horrible.

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Currently, to make a phone call you don't need to do your hair/not be naked/look interested/not be on the toilet.
Now you tell me!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post

That is my understanding as well. I do recall reading it in an article, but cannot remember exactly where. Both iPhones also need to be on WiFi.

Video calling can be done using Fring on different phones. I just installed it yesterday and am still fiddling around with it. So far, I only made a test call to Fring. I'm going to see if any of my friends have Fring so I an try it out with one of them.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It is indeed iPhone4 to iPhone4 only. I'm assuming it's a proprietory format - and current it's wi-fi only.

But it'll never catch on. Currently, to make a phone call you don't need to do your hair/not be naked/look interested/not be on the toilet. People like it that way. Video calling is horrible.
I guess that's why the secondary camera is of such low quality. It will hide the fact that you're not looking your best.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:20 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
Aawww i'm really happy for you Dez - so sorry that you couldn't get the N97 to work for you
Eh? I was one of the few defending the N97 before Xmas when it was getting flamed in AAS for GPS, Lens cover and stability issues. My N97 was always reliable and was great in it's time.
I just feel it's time to move on as Symbian UI is slow and dated compared to the likes of Android (and iPhone).

It's been fun reading all your comments too, Angie.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Its worth pointing out to potential switchers that there's going to be a lot of very very compelling phones around by the last quarter of this year - I'm not just talking about Nokia here (though the N8, next Symbian^3 devices and MeeGo will be worth watching). Expect some interesting stuff from Samsung, Sony Ericsson and HTC too.

I think that's the most notable thing about what's going on now - there is / will be a lot of choice. Be it iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7, Symbian, MeeGo in that higher end touch space.

People looking for value will be well served by Symbian and Android too.