All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
Which company seems to pay the most for a N97?

dog-man

Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Wow! There's going to be nobody left in this forum, due to Android (me) and iPhone deserters.
Gosh! I'm beginning to feel like Little Orphan Annie, all alone, out in the snow, all by myself.

As most forum members will know, I have not suffered from lens scratching, GPS signal problems, key lock falling off, unable to answer calls, damaged hardware, slow or freezing software or most of the other myriad problems posted here. I've never even taken it in for repair.

In fact I'm beginning to think that, for a joke, Nokia made one good N97 and I have it. If anyone doesn't believe me, then just check back on my postings.

I'd be a liar if I said that I hadn't looked at other handsets this year. Not because I wasn't happy with the N97 but because of my boredom threshold.

However, as some of you have found, nothing quite has the spec's of the N97 and I found it difficult to find another phone that does what it does.

My boredom has been alleviated by the launch of SPB Shell which is amazing on my handset and along with v21 firmware and Free iSMS have given my N97 a whole new lease of life and interest.

I am by no means a light user of the handset and send 3-4,000 texts a month and use about 1,200 minutes talk plus web browsing, video calling, picture/video taking and email.

I stuck with the N97 through v10, v11, v12 and v20 until finally v21 made it the phone it should have been at launch. Now, coupled with SPB Shell, which IMHO should be on every new Nokia, I have a very reliable, serviceable phone.

Of course I will continue to lambast Nokia for not doubling the RAM and C: memories, a graphics accelerator and a bigger CPU would be handy too, as would a more customer friendly approach.

So guys, and girls, spare a thought for me as you move to other phones and feel free to send food parcels to me, c/o Rafe at AAS... Rafe are you there!... RAFE!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
Maybe there should be a statue in your honour?

dog-man

Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Will miss you Dave Really enjoyed your widgety goodness - might be worth having a chat with a few people about taking those forward?
Thanks Rafe. I'll miss here... Liked here better when I had a lovely n95. Mostly since the n97 I've just been complaining - although I had high hopes to start with (so made widgets).

Widgets are just renamed zip files and they're not encrypted or anything, so if anybody fancies picking them up and running with them it's fine by me. Just HTML & javascript. I'll leave the databases and server side bits and bobs up and running and the URLs that are called are all in the code.

Anyway, I can't even pre-order yet so I'm not quite buggered off, and my ego will keep me checking this thread for a few days I'm sure

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Generaldread is on a distinguished road
I'm new to the boards I bought my mini 3 months ago and I am pretty happy with it (eventhough I'm still waiting for V11 stupid vodasloom). It does everything I expect from it.

I work at a graphical design agency and I swear that every single designer/hipster that comes in has an Iphone; ''look what app I got itz sup@r blabla'' I did not want to be part of the ''Iphone'' craze I don't want to have a phone which is everywhere and everyone has because the media & Steve says you should.

I just can not stand the hype constanly build around apple products. Even the Dutch news sited run stories on Apple's new Phone... asif thats the only phone brand to release a new model?

Don't get me wrong an Iphone works brilliant (I've even got an ipod touch) but its just to brilliant/clean/perfect for my liking..

Well thats my 2cents..

Old 08-06-2010, 09:22 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
Maybe there should be a statue in your honour?

dog-man
Funny you should say that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-minotaur-and-the-hare-400.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	4874  

Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
Which company seems to pay the most for a N97?

dog-man
Can't remember which one (I used a comparison site like sellmymobile.com) but I was offered 156 at the weekend.
I am trying to get more on fleabay but have a hunch I should have accepted the 156 as there's fees & postage to deduct on fleabay so I could end up with less.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:32 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Gosh! I'm beginning to feel like Little Orphan Annie, all alone, out in the snow, all by myself.

As most forum members will know, I have not suffered from lens scratching, GPS signal problems, key lock falling off, unable to answer calls, damaged hardware, slow or freezing software or most of the other myriad problems posted here. I've never even taken it in for repair.

In fact I'm beginning to think that, for a joke, Nokia made one good N97 and I have it. If anyone doesn't believe me, then just check back on my postings.
No, you're not alone. Once I had the GPS/Lens-cover repairs done my N97 worked as it should have. I never ever experienced the random crashes etc, that others did - even brfore the warranty repair for GPS/Lens.

However, the simple ability to browse websites without 'out of memory' errors or the web app terminating every few minutes and the amazing speed of the UI (on Android) has changed my mind about Symbian OS based handsets.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 AM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
I'm really happy with my N97 and I'll be sticking with it until an N8 is in my hands. I wonder if there'll be a keyboarded version...

I'm another heavy user that rarely has any problems with the phone. The great thing about this line of phones (6680/N80/N95/N97 and all in-between) is that software/firmware shortcomings can usually be worked around.

A few weeks ago I did a quick demo to a hardened iPhone3 user. He'd never seen an N97 and isn't a forum follower so didn't have any axe to grind. He was impressed with what he saw, at one point he even said "It's fast isn't it", I didn't expect to hear that!

Anyway, here's a little story:

While on holiday last week my six year old daughter took a photo using my N97 of the rest of our family while in a restaurant. I usually open the lens cover myself and pass the phone to her but on this occasion she beat me to it and left a mighty scratch across the protective glass.

Yesterday I looked up my nearest Nokia Care Point, called them to confirm that the lens cover replacement was a warranty job and dropped the phone off at lunch time. An hour later they called to say it was fixed.

When I collected my phone they asked me to sign for the repair and showed me the faulty part. I was surprised to see that the entire back casing (they called it the "B Cover") has been replaced.

This means that I have a new GPS antenna, lock slide-switch, USB connector, etc. Oh, and of course the lens cover unit in which the slider now quite obviously sits ~1mm higher than the old one. Even the battery now stays in when I remove the battery cover and turn the phone over.

Big thanks to my little girl *hugs*

If anybody reading this has any scratches on their lens cover I'd recommend (highly) getting the B Cover replaced as a matter of urgency before their warranty expires.

Best wishes to all N97 owners and ex- N97 owners!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I'm still using a N97 mini (I have my N97 classic too - never really had the major issues others described). To be fair I do get to try other handsets on a regular basis so I guess that makes a difference.

ironass - I'll be sure to pass on any food parcels I receive - may have to remove the chocolate - wouldn't want it to melt after alll

There do still seem to be a lot of happy users out there - I guess people switching are the ones most likely to say something. There's some really good stuff coming up (may starting with iPhone 4 and HTC Evo [US]) from multiple manufacturers so I think the second half of the year is going to be even a good one for mobile fans.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
In the words of Kenny Rogers...

"you've got to know when to hold 'em,
know when to fold 'em,
know when to walk away and know when to run..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxTmOOvigJY

N97 - the phone that killed Symbian?
Ads

Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM

fatty5000 is on a distinguished road
I think I've just about had all I can take with the dumb ass N97 as well

I am gearing up for the new pie phone.

Just need to see if the numbers add up.

I can't be dealing with the stupid touch screen on this POS much longer.

Unless anyone has a better idea, I think it's time I became an apple asswipe for a year lol

Old 09-06-2010, 11:55 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
In the words of Kenny Rogers...

"you've got to know when to hold 'em,
know when to fold 'em,
know when to walk away and know when to run..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxTmOOvigJY

N97 - the phone that killed Symbian?
The Gambler if I'm not mistaken....( not seen the UToob clip )

Prefer Islands in the Stream he did with Dolly.....
RM-530
E72-1

Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
It's interesting that when I was going to purchase my first ever smartphone, my friend suggested the iPhone because it was supposed to just work without any fuss. I ended up getting an N97 because of the GPS and QWERTY keyboard. I did have to take some time and effort to get the N97 working in the way that I like. I think it took me over a month. I am quite satisfied with it now.

Not knowing anything about smartphones, I would say that I made the best choice I could have at that time. It wasn't until I actually started to use one that I figured out what I can do with such a device. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would have made a different choice. Hindsight is always 20/20. Still, I am satisfied with my N97 even though there are other options that I could have chosen that probably would make me feel more satsified.

With technology changing so quickly, I think that no matter what I purchased earlier this year, there would be something few months later that I would have rather had. The N97 does pretty much what I want it to do well enough plus a few other things that I discovered over time. I'm sure that a few months after the new iPhone comes out, there will be a newer device that is even better than the iPhone.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with my N97 for a while and will keep those staying with Nokia company here.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Actually.. I hate to say this..

I've been off the N97 for nearly 2 months now (gave it to my Brother in law) and got the N900 instead. I got so Symbian-sick with the N900 that I ended up purchasing a SE Vivaz in its place. Yes, both are faster and more capable phones, but I am kinda getting N97 urges and miss the actual amount of support that Nokia have given to this phone.

Ask yourselves.. how much has Nokia done for N97 users? Coming out with 3 firmwares in the 12 months of its life so far, free navigation, replacement lens, free software through OVI etc. Now compared back to the amount of support that Samsung and SE have given to their flagship phones (i8910 and SATIO/Vivaz)?? No Kinetic scrolling (i8910 only recently got it and SE still without).. No "Free" navigation, No good freebie software etc? You can Argue that Nokia has done all this to fix up their mistakes, but at least they are admitting to it and fixing it where appropriate. If it wasnt for the homebrew "cooked" roms, the Samsung i8910 would have died just as badly and SATIO users cry that Vivaz is getting more support.

Even compared to the N900, I have to say, Nokia still paid more attention to the N97 as their official flagship phone. Yes, the N900 was out later but to date, they still havent paid much attention at delivering 3.03/3.04 free navigating Maps, they havent got a full Office suite up as yet and OVI is still a mess on it. Realistically, only the Maemo community keeps this phone alive as it is with exciting prospects of its true potential.

Must give them credit where its due. My hat is off to N97 despite its flaws and underpowered nature in comparison to the competitors. What it lacks in hardware is the bit more love and attention from its parent.

Last edited by bchliu; 09-06-2010 at 10:42 PM.