All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Satio update enhances camera and core functionality

As work has continued on Sony Ericsson's take on S60 5th Edition with the Vivaz, it's not surprising that the Satio has reaped the benefit, inheriting numerous benefits and fixes. Widely panned on release six months ago, the Satio finally delivers on more of its promise with this update, 'R2AK', a 108MB download, which has been dribbling out for some product codes but is right now available using the Sony Ericsson Update Service in Western Europe. Comments, changes, links and more below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Not yet available for generic UK handsets

Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 PM

hammera is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not yet available for generic UK handsets
Yes it is (as of 30 minutes ago anyway)

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Jimmy1

A bit off topic (but not much): what's your take on SE's Vivaz and Vivaz Pro? I've read they're coming over States' side in the very near future, likely unlocked and working on AT&T's 3G network.

I'm actually in the market for a spanking new phone and am looking at:

-the Vivaz
-SE's Xperia X10 (Android)
-HTC HD2 (WinMo 6.5) on T-Mobile
-and if I'm not impressed with any, hold out until June for iPhone 4.0

I've already considered, and decided to pass on, the N97 Mini. The device LOOKS gorgeous, but considering its old CPU and RAM, along w/ problems that people still have with it, well, I think I can better spend my Benjamin Franklins elsewhere.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:53 PM

dlff is on a distinguished road
Satio "r2ak" sw update

I had mine upgraded by SE's service centre only yesterday.
Well, to be honest with you I have to say that there are improvements in the way of the screen freezing up.
Prior to this update, I had endless screen freezing up problem & I got so fed up removing the batt & reinserting it time & again. Also battery sucks.
Still not perfect & needs a couple of SW's updates before getting there.
I have to accept the fact that the S60 v.5 touchscreen UI is never gonna to be fluid & not forgetting is laggy too.
I would even go as far to say that the only good thing about this phone is the camera. It delivers as far as the camera is concerned.
As for the VIVAZ, I think it will be an improvement over the Satio.
I am keeping an eye on it when is launched & as always SE is never on time & it will be delayed.
The thing I like about the Vivaz is the size which is much smaller than the Satio.
Is the quality of the lens that counts & not so much as mp.
I am also looking forward to the soon to be launched (2nd / 3rd Qtr) presumably N87 with 12mp & HD video.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlff View Post
I am also looking forward to the soon to be launched (2nd / 3rd Qtr) presumably N87 with 12mp & HD video.
Maybe later in the year, but not 2nd quarter though, which is just a couple months away. The company would have announced it already.

Personally, I don't think Nokia is announcing a new high end model, aside from the Nuron, until their conference in London in September.

I don't count the Nuron, aka the Nokia Nimrod---the Simple Jack version of the 5800.

IMO, at this point an 'N87' is vaporware.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
OK, got the update now...

So SE haven't gone to any length to port kinetic scrolling into Satio (and from what I've seen, Vivaz too). That's a great pity in 2010. I think they're going to loose out now.

The rest of the phone seems more stable (having had a very quick play), but as Steve said, T9 input is still fatally flawed.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Unregistered

Is this update out in the US yet?

thanks

Old 10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Brendan Donegan

Well Steve, it would seem that just as you have had a completely different experience with the Milestone than I did, I am having a completely different experience with the Satio than you are.

I took it upon myself to write this entire post using predictive text. No problem. It's too early to tell if it's actually more stable as I was only getting reboots infrequently anyway so I'll get back to you about that. Plus you failed to point out the biggest sin, which is that they still haven't fixed local search!

Anyway, to sum up I think you should get a broader picture about the stability of the new firmware before declaring it 'still buggy'.

Old 22-03-2010, 10:51 PM
EricDraven

Question

well i did the update have to agree the recording sound is way to low yet from the person speaking behind the camera the audio is perfect but isnt the whole point to hear what ur recording not whose recording sony need to update this problem as its ridiculously low although might help when i go to a gig the audio might come out less muffled other than that the updates have really made the phone alot better and doesnt crash as much
Ads

Old 25-03-2010, 12:52 PM

len112 is on a distinguished road
I get a message saying I have the latest software from SEUS but I don't seem to be able to get the new features

Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Unregistered

Theme

I havent had it crash much at all but I am going to try this update tonight,

Just curious, what theme do you have on your satio in those pics?

The blue menu highlight looks swish.

-Cyn-

Old 26-04-2010, 01:39 AM

Zaqfalcon is on a distinguished road
Question SE Update Service on a Mac?

Does it work?

The download bit on the SE website only mentions "Where to install: On your Microsoft® Windows® computer"

If not how do I update the firmware?

Cheers.

P.S. Sorry for the repetition from the Satio thread but nobody ever seems to look in there (probably because the Satio is so good and has so few issues )

Old 17-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Sad Satio user

Totally agree with you David. I liked my Satio even more on R1CA firmware!! Now the phone is too buggy. It crashes more often, and I really regret buying it over i8910. SE must release a update for Satio ASAP, if they want to keep their users.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Unregistered

Smile Low audio recording in videos

Hi in response to the low audio recording in videos,

I inserted the earphones that came standard with the satio which includes a microphone and then activated the camera and to my surprise it used the mic from the earphones for the audio recording and not the mic from the camera and the result is that it records the audio then 10 times better!!

Hope someone might find this helpfull