All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 22-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia sues Apple for infringement of UTMS, GSM and WLAN patents

Nokia today announced that it is suing Apple over patent infringements. Nokia says that Apple's iPhone models infringe on Nokia patents relating to GSM, UTMS and WLAN standards. Nokia has one the industry's strongest and broadest patent portfolios (10,000 patent families). The patents in question are considered essential to industry standards and as such are licensed on the principle 'fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms'. However it appears that Apple has chosen not to license the patents.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-10-2009, 04:37 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Apple announce fat profits from the iphone.

Apple loses fat profits from the iphone.

Old 22-10-2009, 04:45 PM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Surely it's up to the chip and radio manufacturers (Broadcom, etc.) to get the license from Nokia? Just seems odd that's all... But hey, if Apple is trying to get something for nothing then I'm glad they are going to force Apple to pay up.

Of course, it could all be part of a power play on Nokia's part to get some kind of patent sharing regarding Multi-touch, etc.

Last edited by Jaggz; 22-10-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Old 22-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Unregistered

Nokia wants to play fair or share a piece of that apple.

Old 22-10-2009, 06:07 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile iPhone = € $ $ ..... ?

iPhone 3G S 16GB , without GSM , UMTS , WiFi license = € 926.00
iPhone 3G S 16GB , with GSM , UMTS , WiFi license = € ......

Who knows the answer ? Is the consumer going to pay ?
Be quick , get one before the license fee is added !

Regards jApi NL

Old 22-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Unregistered

just a little FYI

@jaggz
Qualcom sued nokia in the past over the CDMA IP. It seems although nokia have bought the CDMA chip from other manufacture (I believe it was VIA), and VIA claimed that it have paid qualcom, the US district rule that nokia need to pay qualcom too.

And thus we see that nokia withdrawing from the CDMA 2000 1x, CDMA EvDO market. All the current Nokia CDMA is not made by nokia. It's not using nokia OS at all. The last Nokia CDMA was the Nokia 6275i (see forum.nokia.com).

Old 22-10-2009, 06:45 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
If you can't beat them... sue them.

Old 22-10-2009, 07:04 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Seems like a stupid move from Apple to not pay if basically everyone else in the market is..

Old 22-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
If you can't beat them... sue them.
Eh..?? When did Nokia not beat Apple?

Old 22-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Eh..?? When did Nokia not beat Apple?
The Apple Newton is better than the Nokia Newton.

Old 22-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Unregistered

Very well done Nokia. If Apple won't play fair they'll get the kicking they deserve. And screw all the iPhone lover's self righteous indignation (that we're seeing on various US blogs about this news).

Old 23-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Unregistered

just another FYI

nokia sold more E series in 1 year than apple sold their iPhone
nokia also sold more N series in 1 year than apple sold their iPhone

Nokia E series + Nokia N series + Nokia doremi (4 digit product code) = ??? 40% of the market?

Apple never beat nokia!!

Old 23-10-2009, 08:13 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Apple never beat nokia!!
Only in reviews it would seem.

Old 23-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Cross posting my comment from: MIR 's piece (interesting read):
http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/...eputation.html

Just because Silicon Valley thinks something is right.. doesn't mean it is. Isn't this just one of the more blatant expression of not invented here syndrome?

Isn't the reaction to the news more a reflection of a lack of objectivity in the online media when it comes to anything Apple? Nokia spent around $7 bn in R&D last year - Apple spent $1 bn. If you turned this around the same media would be baying for others blood and saying it was only right for Apple to defend its innovation.

I do actually think this could still be an issue, but it is important to mistake perception for fact.

And no I don't think Silicon Valley is the centre of mobile - you *might* make a case for it being an important centre for software / services in mobile, but that only one part of the mobile industry (visible for sure). Android and Google Mobile is often cited here, but a lot of the development work for this takes place in London and other Google centres.

Incidentally London could make a decent case as a centre - Symbian is based there, as in LiMo - you can add in Sony Ericsson too and most of the big mobile manufacturers have some sort of base in or near London... but to be honest I really don't think there is any one centre.

Old 23-10-2009, 11:16 AM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Cross posting my comment from: MIR 's piece (interesting read):
http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/...eputation.html

Just because Silicon Valley thinks something is right.. doesn't mean it is. Isn't this just one of the more blatant expression of not invented here syndrome?

Isn't the reaction to the news more a reflection of a lack of objectivity in the online media when it comes to anything Apple? Nokia spent around $7 bn in R&D last year - Apple spent $1 bn. If you turned this around the same media would be baying for others blood and saying it was only right for Apple to defend its innovation.

I do actually think this could still be an issue, but it is important to mistake perception for fact.

And no I don't think Silicon Valley is the centre of mobile - you *might* make a case for it being an important centre for software / services in mobile, but that only one part of the mobile industry (visible for sure). Android and Google Mobile is often cited here, but a lot of the development work for this takes place in London and other Google centres.

Incidentally London could make a decent case as a centre - Symbian is based there, as in LiMo - you can add in Sony Ericsson too and most of the big mobile manufacturers have some sort of base in or near London... but to be honest I really don't think there is any one centre.
Great post Rafe. Spot on. I think this is being blown up by the media looking to instigate a fight. I also believe that Apple may have overstepped their bounds, and Nokia is experiencing a bit of sour grapes. Apple's exploding earnings, and Nokia's gloomy numbers make for a perfect storm of contention. I also believe that Nokia and Apple will exchange some technologies and possibly a bit of cash and that will be that. Apple may give Nokia their multi-touch UI IPR which would greatly help Nokia spruce up Symbian in a big way. Rumors have been out that Apple will dump Intel soon along with Nvidia so why not give up IPR based on an older technology. Companies do this all the time.
Ads