Unregistered

Qvga = fail

Old 13-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennas View Post
Steve:

You have mentioned that the N86 uses the whole sensor for video recording as opposed to just a small bit of it.

My question is: does this finally allow for using the digital zoom whilst video recording? I find it ridiculous that on my N95/N85, there is a 5mp sensor but I can't zoom on a VGA-res video because the result is truly horrendous; it only zooms in using that VGA segment.
EXCELLENT question. I've just tried it and yes, you can zoom in quite a lot without any seeming serious digital artefacts. I'll add this to the table and upload a sample video shortly.

8-)

Old 13-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Re digital zoom: I'm not sure it's even possible to do what you describe. If Nokia *have* managed to pull it off I'll be amazed, as I'm pretty sure it will be an industry first. Looking forward to the video demo Steve.

Old 13-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
OK, video demo up. http://is.gd/1xlra
Not sure why you guys think it's that difficult. Nokia are simply using the whole sensor to capture light for the video - when zoomed in, they're simply downsampling differently.

If you zoom in much beyond 4x, you hit the same problems as digital zoom on other camera phones, i.e. things start to pixellate in ugly fashion. But 4x seems about right, since the VGA rendered frame is about four times (linearly) smaller than the full 8mp sensor.

Old 13-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Simply amazing... I'd love to know how Nokia are doing this. As I understand it, previously when you zoomed, the device just scaled up the centre of the VGA frame. Now it's doing something quite different.

Steve, from your explanation it sounds as if the N86 should be capable of capturing HD. I'm confused. Help!

Old 13-07-2009, 05:26 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Regarding the slider again, it looks like I'm not the only one. One person was told that it was normal for the slider to move by Nokia themselves. Another has decided to fix it himself with tape!
Obviously the N86's build quality isnt as great as first declared.

Old 13-07-2009, 05:29 PM

pennas is on a distinguished road
Thanks Steve!

I could never understand why previous phones didn't do this to be honest.

As for HD capture, I believe that the limitation is more in the processing power required to encode h.264 at a decent resolution.

HD video capture has to be the next step.

Old 15-07-2009, 02:56 AM
Unregistered

n96 browsers

quick question...is anybody experiencing crashing/freezing on the new n96 firmware. And is there any web browser that allows opening multiple windows

Old 15-07-2009, 08:20 AM

ericklamothe is on a distinguished road
Smile Upcoming N and E series

A nice review which focuses on a well rounded N Series device in comparison with the best known touch screen mobile at present. The E66's successor (I'm presuming there will be one) and a new touch screen N Series will probably present a very powerful alternative to the offering from Apple. Apps aren't everything and other manufacturers are also persuading customers that generous on board hardware and software is just as appealing.

Old 15-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Predecessors preceed, successors follow

Quote:
And this 3GS reminds me of Nokia 3650, the predecessor of the revolutionary (on its generation) Nokia 7650, which introduces video recording.
The Nokia 7650 came first.

Old 26-07-2009, 04:50 AM

ClockworkZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Background applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomyn View Post
And keep them coming.....people need to wake up to how lacking the iPhone still is against all that is out there. Three major software releases to bring copy'n'paste and video recording yet still no background apps.
Actually the iPhone does allow background running of applications, but only Apple applications. Third party applications miss out.

For example you can listen to music whilst web browsing and so on.
Ads

Old 29-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Paul Burland

Thumbs up Nice Review

I'm interesting in getting a new phone but the iPhone is just too expensive. The Nokia handsets have some great deals and the camera on the N86 looks great.

It also nice to see Gary in the photos...

Old 05-11-2009, 02:50 PM

r-486 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Yes, my N86's slide is still as pristine as when I received it last month. What do you guys DO to your phones? 8-)

I do keep all my devices in cases at all times, so I'm particularly gentle with them, mind you.
When I got my first N86, the camera stopped working. I noticed the slider was slider was slightly not symmetrical. There is a tendency for the slider to move in a direction it shouldn't be moving when taking off the back cover. The slider should only move in its intended direction. My replacement has no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Qvga = fail
iPhone battery, no multitasking, banned third party apps, camera and camera flash = FAIL.

Last edited by r-486; 05-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.