All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
yeah, just as soon as they release firmware 21 or some sort of flash lite 3 intergrated upgrade.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 AM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
Is this a definite future release or just wishful thinking?

The fact that I cannot use certain elements of the web on my N95 is making me consider purchasing a different phone that will allow me to use the web without restrictions, but if something is definitely coming out soon, then I won't do that.

dog-man

Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
Is this a definite future release or just wishful thinking?

The fact that I cannot use certain elements of the web on my N95 is making me consider purchasing a different phone that will allow me to use the web without restrictions, but if something is definitely coming out soon, then I won't do that.

dog-man
V21 has been available in the test group (I forget their proper name) so it looks good for public release, just depends on what, if any, problems cropped up during the testing

Old 12-03-2008, 11:24 AM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
Thanks.

I shall be waiting eagerly for this then.

dog-man

Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM

AshtonBRSC is on a distinguished road
Let us know if you find a different phone that will allow you to use the web without restriction because all mobile phones have limit.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 AM

Talltext is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure that if a version for the N95 is released it won't be flash video played off the website.

The bbc iplayer for the ipod touch/phone is different from the usuall flash site seen on your PC. In that it uses specific Mpeg 4 streams that when started, load full screen in the Ipod video player. They play full screen and look great. Far better than the flash version in my opinion.

From the bbc blog..
"we're creating 516Kbps streams (400Kbps H.264 video, 116Kbps AAC audio) that show off BBC programmes brilliantly on an iPhone."

I guess the bbc will try and do the same with The N95 version. Using the web link to start the file streaming to the phones video player, rather than direct off the web browser.

What you get at the moment is a choppy version of the main website. Intended for ful flash not flash lite. It is not, I'm sure what the bbc intend for the N95 version.

I hope they can make the N95 play the Mpeg 4 stream as it's a really watchable video format and even looks ok played out to a TV from ipod touch over my Wifi.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Casperuk is on a distinguished road
talltext, what?

flash from the browser works. iPlayer works, albeit slowly, youtube works.

if they bring out an App which i think they will have to seeing as we pay enough fucking money for the tv tax sorry Licence.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM

Talltext is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperuk View Post
talltext, what?

flash from the browser works. iPlayer works, albeit slowly, youtube works.

if they bring out an App which i think they will have to seeing as we pay enough fucking money for the tv tax sorry Licence.
You won't need a new app Casper, I think they'll use the Real player video app already in the phone, not the flash lite add in via the web.

I know at the moment Flash plays the video. but it kinda falls over itself when you try.

The iphone/ipod touch version doesn't use flash video, It uses an MPEG4 stream, that the iphones video player streams when you click the play icon on the website.

The N95 plays MPEG4 so would be logical for it to work the same way using the same video stream.

Hope it does anyway as it works really well on the touch and would mean N95 and N95 8gb users may both benefit.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:32 PM

as long as it works i would be happy, seeing as o2 and other network providers must provide you with free internet access to use the site

Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 AM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
Talltext BBC,s new videos are in a flash format, .That format wont be used in other phones what you mentiond and the content available is limited on iphone
the bbc is converting all there stream clips to embedded flash on news and sport sections ect
They are abandoning the realmedia/windows formats and concentrating on purley flash on there site in the future apart from the few iphone streams
makes sense as most upto date devices are or will be flash compatable there for better for them just to use 1 format for all types of devices and PC etc
If you've visited the site latley you'll see they have updated a lot of it ,but still plenty more to update

HERE is a link to 1 of the new enbedded clips try it out in you phones browser>
Code:
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/7329607.stm
THESE new clip runs perfect in our phone and so wil iplayer soon
THE whole of BBC will be in that format soon so our nokias will beable to play perfect pictures from there site
click the little play icon next to volume icon 2 start b/c press click to play icon on video clip did not work in mobile for me then optons>full screen

Last edited by ccraig; 04-04-2008 at 05:55 AM.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
...the bbc is converting all there stream clips to embedded flash on news and sport sections ect...
I was showing the missus that clip of Robin Williams ad-libbing at the BBC World debate the other day on my N95. It was watchable but did freeze every so often. The thing is that she's got used to me showing her the accelerometer apps like the beer one and yesterday's mosquito-shoot-em-up; so every time the video froze she was vigourously shaking the handset to get it going again.
(PS yes, she's blond)
(PPS don't tell anyone I told you this or I'm a dead man)

Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 AM

*gets out phone book*

right, lets go hunting

Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
I just went to Iplayer using Opera mini on N95-1 (latest firmware) and it says
"sorry this program is only available to play in the UK"

I can get to it user the built in web app in N95-1, but same as everybody else, on 10mb broadband connection, i get very choppy unwatchable playback

Last edited by riverboat; 04-04-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:22 AM

the phone cannot handle the amount of info being thrown at it.

until the iPlayer site is set to send certain size streams to different browsers this is going to be a problem.
Ads

Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Opera Mini doesn't support flash so it wouldn't work in that anyway.