All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 21-02-2007, 03:17 PM

hatighora is on a distinguished road
what happens when you insert a 4 gb microSD card into a phone that supports upto 2gb microSD card?

Old 23-02-2007, 01:04 PM

catnamedog is on a distinguished road
N95

Hi Rafe
I've recently returned a SE W950i (see post), and wondered if Nokia had any intentions of developing the A2DP aspects of phones such as the N95?
It seems to me that the truly integrated comms/entertainment package for the car could be achieved using A2DP.
Would you car to comment or predict?
Thanks.

Old 26-02-2007, 06:00 AM

erehman is on a distinguished road
Good job Rafe

Rafe, I must admire your efforts to satisfy all of us in terms of your experience with N95. Its my dream to have this phone. But one thing which is bothering me is the dim lighting condition in its video. The videos of N93 seems more bright and crisp as compared to to those shot with N95. Tell me is it possible to adjust the default settings to improve lighting conditions in videos. And secondly tell me please is it possible to shoot a video in CIF or QCIF formats with 30fps. Do the pictures taken with N95's 5mp camera are of the quality equivalent to digital cameras. Is its macro mode good enough to be used as scanner?
And last question for this session! Do you know the exact date when this phopne will be available in market?
Thanks in advance for you cooperation.

Last edited by erehman; 26-02-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Old 26-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatighora View Post
what happens when you insert a 4 gb microSD card into a phone that supports upto 2gb microSD card?
It may work, haven't tried this myself. Past experience suggest provided its not a different format (e.g. SDHC) then it should work

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnamedog View Post
Hi Rafe
I've recently returned a SE W950i (see post), and wondered if Nokia had any intentions of developing the A2DP aspects of phones such as the N95?
It seems to me that the truly integrated comms/entertainment package for the car could be achieved using A2DP.
Would you car to comment or predict?
Thanks.
The N95 has full support for A2DP. This basically means it can use any bluetooth stereo audio accessories. Worked fine with the Sony Ericsson headset I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehman View Post
Rafe, I must admire your efforts to satisfy all of us in terms of your experience with N95. Its my dream to have this phone. But one thing which is bothering me is the dim lighting condition in its video. The videos of N93 seems more bright and crisp as compared to to those shot with N95. Tell me is it possible to adjust the default settings to improve lighting conditions in videos. And secondly tell me please is it possible to shoot a video in CIF or QCIF formats with 30fps. Do the pictures taken with N95's 5mp camera are of the quality equivalent to digital cameras. Is its macro mode good enough to be used as scanner?
And last question for this session! Do you know the exact date when this phopne will be available in market?
Thanks in advance for you cooperation.
You can fiddle with the settings a bit. Its difficult to comment fully as final software is not out yet. Yes you can shoot videos at lower resolutions (e.g. for MMS), not sure of the frame rate though.

Macro mode is supported, I'm not sure its good enough for a scanner, but should be ok to photo docs etc.

The phone will be available late March / early April.

Old 26-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chimp View Post
What is the phone like overall surfing the internet? Are their any problems displaying pages, any sudden crashes etc?
Its been OK for me. I do tend to stick to a relatively small subset on sites though. Much the same as the N93 for me, though the browser is faster and seems to use less memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackarus View Post
When I played with a prototype Nokia N95 at the Nokia Store NY, I noticed that when taking pictures and video in horizontal mode and then switch to vertical, the sensor automatically switched. Rafe: Is that the case with the N95 you received?
I think I understand you, and the answer is yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
A quick question about the GPS maps; is it possible to add or download custom Points of Interest; one which springs immediately to mind is speed camera locations...
Yes, though you would have to add these one by one which might get annoying. I am fairly sure traffic cameras will be available as a premium add on sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chimp View Post
Does the N95 have continuous AF on shooting videos like the production models of the N93i have? Or is this something we will have to wait for the production versions of the N95 to see if it has this feature.
No continuous AF on the one i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cehtna View Post
Can you put the mp3-files anywhere on the phone,
or does it have to be a specific folder?

Does the mp3 playback use a lot of batterypower,
can you do a test with continious mp3 playback?

Can I install the map of Germany on the memory card from the CD or download them from the internet and keep them on my memory card? I ask because data rates are much cheaper in the home network than when roaming, if I plan a trip to Germany, I want to install the maps before I go there..
Yes MPŁ files can go anywhere, but it makes sense to keep them to the sounds folders. No MP3 doesn't drain the battery that badly.

Yes you can install the map of Germany to the phone. I've done so for the UK and a few other European countries.

Old 26-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by xOrangeFirex View Post
I live in america, and was, untill recently, planning to get the n73 and then buy the n95 whenever i could get to it, but with the information that its comming out relativly soon I wanted to know how long would you think it would take for me to be able to buy one in america?
I imagine it will be available via importers quite soon (or from Nokia flagship stores), other than that I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish View Post
According to the specs,the Nokia N95 has no optical zoom.What is optical zoom?? From my understanding without optical zoom , you are unable to zoom in on pictures after you have snapped them.Is this correct and true??
Optical zoom is done using optics at capture. You can still zoom into the picture after it is taken. The other zoom you hear about is digital - this is done in software and to be honest is a bit useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish View Post
How is the sound quality of this phone and may I have a picture comparison of the N95 with a Nokia 6680?
Sound quality has been excellent for me. I'll try and find the 6680 for a comparison picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post
1 - Does the N95 display email messages on the Active Display Screen(like the E Series)?

2 - Does the N95 have the WLAN Scanning on Active Display Screen(like the N80IE)?

3 - When you are you WLAN does it repeatedly ask you to connect when using different apps, for example, you are browsing on the web, you switch to the email app to check your emails, does it just check the emails or does it (like the N80) fail to realise you are already connected and ask you to connect again? (also does this when using web feeds on the N80), not a huge problem but still annoying.

4 - In your opinion how does the screen look when compared to the the 352 x 416 of the N80, E70 etc
1. I don't think so.
2. Yes.
3. I haven't seen this happen, it does do this if no connection is currently being used.
3. Its not as good, but its not a major issue for me. I happier to have a physically bigger screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Li0n View Post
And now regarding the topic:

Browser

I was wondering about the browser, I read that the servicebrowser and webbrowser is now 2in1 so I was wondering if you can finally save pictures etc. Because that was only possible in the servicebrowser.
I also like to know if they got a better find function. Like CTRL+F in Internet Explorer where you just type something and it searches the page.
And what about browsing, is it possible to open more windows? at the same time? Because now it doesn't to that unless you press a link on the site that is scripted with "target=_blank"

USB related

I read you cannot charge the phone via usb, do you think that will be possible with a firmware upgrade, a BlackBerry, PDA, MP3-players and other devices can be charged using usb though.
Can you use the mini USB port also for other applications or tools?
Will check browser as not sure. Yes you have a search in page feature. I don't think a firmware update will allow charging by USB. I'm not sure it is possible. MiniUSB

Old 26-02-2007, 09:39 PM

m1cke is on a distinguished road
If you record video on the highest res and then want to send it in a MMS, can it resize the video to "fit" in an MMS?

(Havent used any Series 60 before, so sorry if it's a stupid question)

Old 26-02-2007, 09:44 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info Rafe. Does it have the WLAN wizard on the active standby screen like my N93 has since Nokia upgraded the firmware to V20?

Also is the music player as good as or better than the N93 music player?

Old 27-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Founder / Chief

The WLAN Wizard is on the active standy by on mine (early software disclaimer etc etc)

Music player is the same or very similar compared to N93.

Old 28-02-2007, 10:33 PM

zbounce is on a distinguished road
n95

i am soooooo tired of waiting for this phone!! when will it be for sale?
my n70 bit the dust 2 months ago. n95 was supposed to be released in jan, but i am still waiting. any idea's?
tim

Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
According to Nokia, 1st Quarter, so is already on delay. Wait until the end of month.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 AM

erehman is on a distinguished road
N95 sound recording

Hi Rafe! Please tell me does N95 has stereo microphones? I mean does it record stereo sound in video shooting like N93i?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM

m1cke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by erehman View Post
Hi Rafe! Please tell me does N95 has stereo microphones? I mean does it record stereo sound in video shooting like N93i?
No, only Mono there..
From the sample videos I have seen the audio is quite good, but not in stereo though..

Old 02-03-2007, 05:29 PM

timbian is on a distinguished road
bluetooth & GPS

Can you tell me please if it is at all possible whilst using the GPS to make a call with a bluetooth connected car headunit?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:14 PM

bras4real is on a distinguished road
screen quality; TFT versuS unfortunately no VGS

The N95 is equiped with TFT screen, because of its larger screen size compared to the N93 how is the pixelation