All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-02-2011, 04:57 AM

sandalwood is on a distinguished road
Question about to choose n97 mini over HTC Legend

Hi! I hope someone could share some feedback..i've been reading this forum about n97, and therefore, I know most of the gripes you have on this phone. Now, Im about to choose a free phone next week, as part of my contract. I've narrowed it down to n97 and the HTC Legend (available on my plan). Most of the salespeople ive spoken to, preferred the HTC simply because it's Android. I have no issues with the OS as I don't really play games and all that. I usually just use the internet and Skype on my fon, anyway. I also hate touchscreen, as I do alot of commenting and emailing.
My question is, is there any BIG difference on how fast web pages load on a slightly bigger processor? N97 = 434mhz and Legend = 600 Mhz

Does ALL n97 minis hang a lot? any MAJOR issues why nokia is phasing them out?
Ads

Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 AM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
My question is, is there any BIG difference on how fast web pages load on a slightly bigger processor? N97 = 434mhz and Legend = 600 Mhz
My personal experience is with the HTC Desire Z and the N97 (non-mini). I found the N97's browser to be very poor. It is slow and sometimes cannot even load the page at all. I have had to resort to using two other browsers, Opera Mini (fast) and Skyfire (for Flash support). With the Desire Z, I only use the default browser as it is all I need and is almost as good as my PC's browser.

I haven't had personal experience with the Legend, so I cannot say how good that browser is.

Quote:
Does ALL n97 minis hang a lot? any MAJOR issues why nokia is phasing them out?
The N97 has had many, many issues. The N97 mini seems to have resolved some of them.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Talvi is on a distinguished road
I didn't like Android (Droid 2) because of it's lock-in to the Cloud. Even to get my contacts into the device I found I first needed to upload them to Google Inc. I also wanted the basics of the device to work satisfactorily out of the box without having to spend days finding and trying out apps from the 100's of 1,000's of "choices".

The camera on the mini is great (the optics are what's important), and it also allows the shutter click to be turned off (ok, only via global settings but still). The SW generally is functional but from a design perspective (I don't mean style etc) honestly it's the worst piece of SW design I've ever come across at this level. If a first year student put any of it forward they would be failed for overall design, if not for the coding. It makes M$ Office look like a seamlessly integrated suite, but here there are not the half a dozen pieces of SW that make up the M$ "suite", but maybe over 100.

I believe it is possible to get the device to work well as a device but how long that takes seems to depend heavily on your technical knowledge of Symbian, and willingness to take risks with your data. This is more or less true for all smartphones it seems.

At the moment I am using my mini only as a basic multi-purpose device: phone, camera, notebook, calendar. If the rest doesn't ever really work I will just grin and bear it.

Of course I had imagined using a new smartphone for "what it says on the box" i.e. for my Web needs and for VoIP but both these seem like they're going to be tough to achieve on the mini, though maybe possible.

My needs are very simple but *smart* devices seem to be designed for downloading videos and for connecting into FB, eBay, etc., i.e. for advertising and product delivery. The devices are "trojan horses". Websites that I get value from and imagined using e.g. Google Translate, dictionaries etc., may be so slow as to be virtually unusable.

VoIP is of course a battleground, as it threatens the Mobile Operators' profit and business model. Blackberry for instance disables the necessary protocols by design.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 AM

sandalwood is on a distinguished road
thank you for your feedback, guys!!! it helped me decide on which phone to choose. though ihave a soft spot for NOkias, and still wanting that physical QWERTY, I think i'll give it a pass this time..

I hope I'll learn txt quickly on a virtual keyboard.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Talvi is on a distinguished road
It'd be good to hear how your experience with the HTC ties in with the advice etc you got on here. Keep us posted?