All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Side load iPlayer

I'm sure people have said that if you download for "portable device" and start playing in Windows Media Player to get the rights installed; that you can then copy the programme across to the 5800. But I can't do this at all. I've tried connecting in WMP mode and synching with WMP, and dragging & dropping using PC Suite, and various other methods, but the sodding rights management won't let me.

The infuriating thing is that I'm a UK licence payer just wanting to do what I consider to be my RIGHT, but in order to achieve that I'm going to have to learn how to hack and override DRM by the looks of things.

EDIT: The nagging must have done the trick as the BBC have now put downloads back.

Last edited by neilhoskins; 03-04-2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: BBC getting their act together.
Ads

Old 14-05-2010, 07:28 AM

I'd forgotten I'd posted this last year before the 5800 got a really good iPlayer client. Anyway, I now find myself asking the same question again wrt the 5230. It seems to me that the 5230 would be an excellent media player, but without WiFi the BBC will never give it an iPlayer client. Sideloading would therefore seem to be a suitable alternative, but trying this on the wife's 5800 still gives "license missing or expired". Surely these devices have Windows DRM?

Old 17-06-2010, 02:55 PM

OK, this is how you do it. You download the .wmv version from iPlayer, then strip the DRM and convert to a size and format of your choice using iSkySoft on your PC. I've spent hours messing around with Super and similar free apps before, but iSkySoft just worked first time. Be warned, though, it's a bit like shopping in the USA because with taxes and add-ons it ends up being about twice the advertised price once you get the the checkout. The cost of a 5230 + iSkySoft is still considerably less than a 5800 and its full iPlayer client, though.

And the legality/morality? I'm a UK licence payer and will be deleting programmes once I've watched them, and so have a completely clear conscience. If the BBC are going to confine their efforts to just a handful of mobile device types then they can't be surprised if people figure things out for themselves.