All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-11-2009, 09:43 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
GPS Need your help before my 14 days run out

Overall, i'm very happy with my phone.

I deliberately bought it over the net so that the DSR (uk Distance selling regulations - allow items to be sent back within 14 days for money back)

I have had the phone for 5 days so far, so still plenty of time to test it!

So my only problem is with the GPS.

I don't know how long phones sit on the shelves in stock, and am wondering if i got one of the Dodgy ones.

When driving at about 30mph the accuracy is not too bad, and i get a lock pretty quickly on my 3g connection and wifi connection.

My problem is to do with the accuracy of where the maps "think" i am.

The strangest thing is the when looking at the red dot representing my position, i think it pretty much shows me where i am some of the time. But the bar at the top with the actual address in it is for a house across the road and down the street a bit.

When walking or just sitting in the garden the accuracy (according to the "location" program) varies between 14 meters and 200 meters.

And when phone is sitting still the accuracy just goes up and down non stop surely once the satalites have locked it should stay steady, whether that is at 10 meter or 200 meter accuracy. If the phone is sitting still how can the accuracy vary so wildly?

So.....Have i got a dodgy phone?

If not, what am i doing wrong?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
send it back get your money back

it should have been recalled mate

gps is terrible , they say they have released a new shielded gps etc , i havent read many success stories of it being fitted and working alot better for a long time

one user says he had it fitted it worked for 2 weeks and now has a bad signal again

alot of service centres dont know about the gps fix

BOTTOM LINE IS NOKIA ARE STILL SELLING FAULTY HANDSETS WITH 2 MAJOR PROBLEMS OUT OF THE BOX , THEY HAVE ADMITTED THEIR IS A FAULT WITH THE CAMERA DESIGN AND THE GPS YET HAVE LEFT ALL THE ONES WITH PROBLESM ON THE SHELVES TO BE SOLD TO CUSTOMERS STILL

that in itself is a joke

i would send it back and buy one of the following phones

omnia hd
satio
n86
x6
n97 mini
n900
n85
n95
n82
6220c
e75
e71
e72

all of them are better then the n97

how can any phone sold with 2 major faults out of the box be recomended to anyone is beyond me

thats wy i would have to say return it mate

while you an with no hassle

ive just sold mine for 340 pounds it was my 3rd replacement one its caused so much stress instead of new joy that a gadget is supposed to bring

Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 AM

Just been out for my nightly walk with the dogs, and tried out gps/maps again.

Got a very good / quick lock on gps, but again, although the position marker itself was pretty close to where i actually was, the address bar at the top had the wrong address, eg: actually being outside numer 22 and address bar saying number 10. And it loves to tell me i'm outside number 17 an awful lot of the time.

And strangely enough the maps program always reports the same numbers in the street. to try and put it simply, i walk down the my road passing numbers 2 to 22 on one side and 1 to 17 on the other, but it only ever mentions numbers 5/6/7/10/17. It's a fairly narrow road with just enough room to pass, but no matter which side of the street i'm on it doesn't differentiate.

As far as i can make out it's the maps that are wrong, not the accuracy of the gps. Or perhaps it only referances some houses in a street, not all of them. Unlike TOMTOM dedicated satnav that knows each house.

Using the location application, and crossing between the two programs, at some points i was getting as close as 36ft, but then shooting up wildly, then back down again. This is the most annoying thing to me, why is it jumping about so much?

Anyone else experience this?

And while indoors this afternoon it told me i was in the house on my left, this evening it thinks i'm in the house on my right, Go Figure (

In a good way, it sort of points to a software / maps problem, rather than a hardware problem. But bloody annoying all the same.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
And while indoors this afternoon it told me i was in the house on my left, this evening it thinks i'm in the house on my right, Go Figure
You can't really call this a problem. GPS doesn't work well indoors anyway, so if it's getting your position within 1 house either way, then it's quite close.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkiii View Post
You can't really call this a problem. GPS doesn't work well indoors anyway, so if it's getting your position within 1 house either way, then it's quite close.

From what i'm reading all over the net, the GPS "problem" that people were reporting, was not actually getting a lock at all, is this right?

Everything else on this phone is fine, and i'm patient enough to wait for fixes through firmware. But one of my big hobbies is Geocaching, and for thata i need a good gps lock.

My lock varies wildly from 20 meters to 190 meters in the space of seconds.

Is this normal behaviour of a gps device?

This was one of the reasons for getting the N97 as an upgrade for my N95

Old 02-11-2009, 10:16 AM

grimmy58 is on a distinguished road
If I could turn back time....

No, not the start of a Cher song. I would never have bought my N97. I bought it on launch day and am now on my 4th handset and the GPS still doesn't work. I'm so sick of the sight of it that I'm going to either ebay it or sell it to envirofone / mazuma.

My issue was never getting a lock, I would be driving down the motorway and all of a sudden Maps would think I was 300 meters to the left and then try and re-route me back onto the motorway. I sent my last handset in for repair, they didn't fix it but sent me a new one - which had exactly the same fault.

I love the phone, but have had enough of it now. I'll be very wary if I ever buy a Nokia again. Good luck with yours.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM

Well, i'm waiting for delivery of a windshield mount to really test out the driving part of it.

I'm 95% convinced it the actual map data.

If i zoom in on my map whilst having a nice strong lock, it quite clearly shows me where i actually am, in my garden in a house on the right side of the street, where all of the houses are numbered even.

Yet it insists in the address bar, that i am on the other side of the road about 5 houses down on the left side of the street.

Also when in this position i tell it "walk" to my home location it says its 60 meters distance, and yet if the address bar was correct it would be about 600 meters.

I don't understand it, how does the gps accuratly point to where i am, yet the map address shows me somewhere else?

So, if the map and red dot just showed where i am it would be fairly accurate give or take about 50 meters. As soon as the addresses (on the top of the screen) are looked at you appear to be a lot farther out

Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 AM

jmcgrath is on a distinguished road
Riverboat,

Are you using Trimble Geocache Navigator on N97 for Geocaching? It's also a big hobby of mine, but I've not gotten round to trying to use if for caching as I've had other problems with it and it's still sitting in a drawer, but I'm interested to know what you think of it.

I started with it on my N95 and it was great!

John

Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy58 View Post
If I could turn back time....

No, not the start of a Cher song. I would never have bought my N97. I bought it on launch day and am now on my 4th handset and the GPS still doesn't work. I'm so sick of the sight of it that I'm going to either ebay it or sell it to envirofone / mazuma.

My issue was never getting a lock, I would be driving down the motorway and all of a sudden Maps would think I was 300 meters to the left and then try and re-route me back onto the motorway. I sent my last handset in for repair, they didn't fix it but sent me a new one - which had exactly the same fault.

I love the phone, but have had enough of it now. I'll be very wary if I ever buy a Nokia again. Good luck with yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgrath View Post
Riverboat,

Are you using Trimble Geocache Navigator on N97 for Geocaching? It's also a big hobby of mine, but I've not gotten round to trying to use if for caching as I've had other problems with it and it's still sitting in a drawer, but I'm interested to know what you think of it.

I started with it on my N95 and it was great!

John
Yep, that's the one, used it on my N95, and it was fantastic, and apart from when under heavy tree cover it was accurate enough to find most caches. I upgraded to the paid version, and am just waiting for Trimble to copy over my licence, as it is tied to the phone number which i have kept.
Ads

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM

jmcgrath is on a distinguished road
I reakon that's what I'll be doing this afternoon then.

Like you I found the N95 to be great for caching. It always got me to within 20ft.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgrath View Post
I reakon that's what I'll be doing this afternoon then.

Like you I found the N95 to be great for caching. It always got me to within 20ft.

yep, so for me this will be the big test on the accuracy, which is why i would rather the true location be correct, than which house it thinks i'm outside of!