All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Musten is on a distinguished road
A dumb question maybe, but if I don't have a data connection will Maps work at all? The integrated GPS or a BT GPS would work right? What does the login thing effect? I've tried Maps home in WiFi and there it somewhat finds my position but when I try without any connection at all it says Connection failed, try again. I'm changing this phone soon enough and was thinking about giving it to my dad since he wants GPS but will he be able to use it with only a BT GPS and no data connection?

Old 24-04-2010, 09:18 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musten View Post
A dumb question maybe, but if I don't have a data connection will Maps work at all? The integrated GPS or a BT GPS would work right? What does the login thing effect? I've tried Maps home in WiFi and there it somewhat finds my position but when I try without any connection at all it says Connection failed, try again. I'm changing this phone soon enough and was thinking about giving it to my dad since he wants GPS but will he be able to use it with only a BT GPS and no data connection?
"In theory" you can use just the phones built-in Integrated GPS.

In practice this takes a lot longer (up to 20+ min's.) to achieve a lock by itself, if at all, and would not be suitable for turn-by-turn navigation.

To set this up, follow the steps in my original posting with the exception of step 2 in which you should only select Integrated GPS and leave the others un-ticked.

You also do not need to define the Access point or Server address.

Do make sure that you download Maps data to the phone, via your computer, for ALL areas you are traveling to otherwise the phone will attempt to download them over the air as you go.

Old 24-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Cheers, I've just enabled BT, Integrated and WiFi now. Will have to to get a lock on later when I'm out going somewhere... It still says Connection failed, try again when I start the app... Should I just ignore it?

Old 24-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Cheers, I've just enabled BT, Integrated and WiFi now. Will have to to get a lock on later when I'm out going somewhere... It still says Connection failed, try again when I start the app... Should I just ignore it?
WiFi positioning requires a data connection.

Disable this as per my instructions.

Old 28-04-2010, 10:31 PM

Well I've done everything but it still says Connection Failed, try again. :( Well I'll have to try with the BT GPS but will I be able to get turn by turn navigation with that?

Old 30-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Well I've done everything but it still says Connection Failed, try again. :( Well I'll have to try with the BT GPS but will I be able to get turn by turn navigation with that?
I don't understand "Connection failed" as you should not be connecting to anything provided that only "Integrated GPS" is ticked in Positioning methods in Location and providing you have downloaded the Maps Data to your phone via your PC.

Don't forget that initially, before downloading Maps Data, you must have completed Step 3 which will incur a small amount of data initially.

This is needed to create a limited map of your area and the required files, cities and qf, on C:.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Talvi is on a distinguished road
I'm a new novice N97 Mini owner, and wonder if all (or most) of the advice you've been giving here also applies to the mini ...

(ps how can I find the FW version of my phone))

Old 19-02-2011, 02:57 PM

iam63uk is on a distinguished road
Sound mute

I've being trying to use MAPS on my N97 mini as a replacement for an old TomTom satnav in my car (New MINI) but when it is connected to the cars built in Bluetooth hands free it does not pass the sound from MAPS through the cars sound system or the phones speakers.

Is there any way I can still have the sounds from MAPs through the phone speakers while the phone sound is connected through the cars bluetooth, as I still get all the text & email message warnings through the phone speakers when connected to car hands free.

As it is now using the N97 mini I can have satnav with sound & no handsfree calling or silent satnav with handsfree calling.

I've checked all the cars setting & unable to alter anything to do with Bluetooth so are there any settings I can alter on phone?

Help anyone?

Cheers
Ian

Old 29-05-2011, 09:22 PM

gjd is on a distinguished road
Hello

I have a mini, and I use the iO Play for Bluetooth Hands Free and Music Streaming.

Maybe your Bluetooth Car Kit doesn't support A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile).
(Tried Ovi - doesn't work!)
Bluetooth Hands free via the iO Play