All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-07-2009, 07:28 AM

davwil is on a distinguished road
Please don't throw your phone in the river - recycle it responsibly - as it contains some nasty chemicals for which the fish or ducks will not thank you for. Or better yet give it to some one else.

or

You could read the instructions at http://dailymobile.se/forum/index.php?topic=1792.0 which talks about the need to download the navifirm tool which will download the necessary n97 firmware to your desktop pc.

Cheers David

Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 AM

nokion is on a distinguished road
The method that worked for me was to not use the 'use ini' function and just do it all manually. Make sure that you have all the correct boxes checked and try again. It may take a few goes as mine didn't work first, second or third time.

Maybe you could post your log up on here and someone might take a look at it for you?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 AM

jmcgrath is on a distinguished road
MrAaronVenn I was having the same problem, but when I had the FW files in the products folder under C:\Program Files\Nokia\Phoenix\Products. When I created the RM-505 folder under products (C:\Program Files\Nokia\Phoenix\Products\RM-505) and then copied the FW files in there everything worked first time.

I hope that helps.

John

Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 AM

MrAaronVenn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
Incidentally I probably wouldn't have had to use jaf if the damn NSU didn't hang halfway through the flashing process, damn you nokia and thank you jaf .
Hear Hear!
Boo Hiss NSU for ruining everything
my past 9 phones that i've updated that way have been fine.
Why'd it have the ruin the good one?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
If you download the latest version of JAF and extract the inis from the zip to the jaf installation folder then N97 will appear in the "Use INI" list. As long as the firmware is on the correct location ( phoenix/products/RM-505 ) then you shouldn't need to select any files.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 AM

Mike.mp is on a distinguished road
NSU worked just fine for me. I changed code with NSS and flashed with NSU srtaight away. No problems at all. I got my phone from Nokia shop in London.
RM-505
Language set: 11

Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.mp View Post
NSU worked just fine for me. I changed code with NSS and flashed with NSU srtaight away. No problems at all. I got my phone from Nokia shop in London.
The problem seems to be going from a branded uk variant to a non one. As yours is a generic uk model it should be fine.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Yes, I've done everything that everyone has suggested.
MY problem is it gets to Pooling then fails....
As I said on page 3...

"My ressurection goes fine until it gets to the "Pooling Phone" bit. The screen goes all LCD liney, then stops.
Then, JAF says something along the lines of:
"Did your phone turn back on, Yes No?"
when I click "No" cos it didn't back come back on, it just says "Done!" and finishes.
Though its not actually done, as the phone doesnt turn back on or do anything.

So I try it all again, but then click...YES
But when I click "Yes" JAF thinks for a while then says...
"Phone not found...
Second try...
MCUSW: (null)
APESW: (null)
VariantSW: (null)
Prodcode:
Setting test mode...
Failed! Aborting!
Done!"

It doesn't turn on or anything.
And JAF has finished.

I've done the files manually. The .ini file option is there
ie: N97 is listed. It looks for the folders
both Phoenix\Products\RM-505 and the other Nokia folder
I downloaded everything from Navifirm

Basically, I've done everything correctly just the minute it gets to
"POOLING" it doesn't work. Trying again makes no difference.

But don't worry I threw it at the Nokia Care people and told them to fix it.
If they can't, then no I won't throw it in the river as someone pleaded me not to, I will just smash it repeatedly with a mallet for wasting $1000 on it.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Can't be sure as it was 1am when I did mine but im sure mine had some files listed for this. If I recall rightly when I selected "Use Ini" and choose the correct handset all the MCU lights etc came on green.

did you untick the CRT-308 box?

Last edited by Unplugged; 03-07-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 PM

grimmy58 is on a distinguished road
I'm glad that most of you guys have now resurrected your phones, I must say that I panicked a bit and contacted Voda straight away. My new one has now arrived.

Does anyone know if using the latest version of NSS (which I used sucessfully to debrand my old N95 and N95 8GBs), instead of JAF causes less problems?

I do want the updated firmware, but I think I'll hang about a bit. I don't really fancy breaking my new one just to resurrect it, if that makes sense?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:08 PM

jmcgrath is on a distinguished road
I used JAF to debrand it because I thought that NSS, which I have used on my N95's and N96's, didn't work on the N97.

I was also planning on not doing the update right away, but it was soooo buggy I felt that I had no choice. Then again I was not planning on getting an N97 until they had been out for at least 4 months so that there would have been 1 or 2 updates already out, but I hated my N96 so much that in the end I couldn't stand it.

I am amazed that I could re-flash it when it was in that condition as I recently had the same problem with a N96 and the local Nokia service center told me that they couldn't do it either. Yesterday was definitely a good day!

Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy58 View Post
I'm glad that most of you guys have now resurrected your phones, I must say that I panicked a bit and contacted Voda straight away. My new one has now arrived.

Does anyone know if using the latest version of NSS (which I used sucessfully to debrand my old N95 and N95 8GBs), instead of JAF causes less problems?

I do want the updated firmware, but I think I'll hang about a bit. I don't really fancy breaking my new one just to resurrect it, if that makes sense?
Makes no diffeence the issue seems to be with the firmware downloaded by NSU.

Whether NSU only downloads parts of the firmware needed for the upgrade and not the full flash im not sure. Not even sure if this was intentional by Nokia.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 PM

grimmy58 is on a distinguished road
jmcgrath - From my (limited) googling I understand that there is a new version NSS that works with S60 5th series. (please don't take my word for this, I don't want to be responsible for anyone's brick).

I just wondered if anyone had experience with the new version, but from what Unplugged says it is the fault of the NSU.

Is there any way to install it without using the NSU? possibly this Naviman software? Just a thought.

cheers,

Grim.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:39 PM

NSS worked fine for me.

I used it as it actually seemed to "read" my product code as opposed to JAF which just read blank text boxes.

The result is the same product code is changed and then NSU kills it ( after saying its been successfully updated )

Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugged View Post

Can't be sure as it was 1am when I did mine but im sure mine had some files listed for this. If I recall rightly when I selected "Use Ini" and choose the correct handset all the MCU lights etc came on green.

did you untick the CRT-308 box?
I did untick the CRT-308 box as anytime you do it with it on it pops up saying
something like "No No, can't 308 it"

And when I did it manually, yeah each button was green, even the Ape Variant, all with their individual files.

It would only stop at Pooling as after that it wouldn't do anything else.
Ads