All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-08-2005, 11:49 PM

Rich_uk is on a distinguished road
minimum memory needed for camera to function?

i keep getting "Out of memory please close some applications" even when i have shut down all the apps that aren't hidden.
does anyone know what the minimum memory is needed for camera to function without it producing the error message? the only other app i seem to have running is the bloody orange homescreen that cannot be shut down or deleted.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:32 PM

dukesatan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_uk
i keep getting "Out of memory please close some applications" even when i have shut down all the apps that aren't hidden.
does anyone know what the minimum memory is needed for camera to function without it producing the error message? the only other app i seem to have running is the bloody orange homescreen that cannot be shut down or deleted.
Well if my maths is right it should be 1280 * 960 * colour depth, assume 16 bit (2 byte) should give about 2.5meg uncompressed for the raw picture data. If you have everything like sounds, images, videos, messages, and installed applications all moved to the MMC then you should have plenty of space, try installing Appman and see what that says your free total memory is, mines normally like 4-7meg, not sure how it works that out thought, lol.

Duke.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:58 PM

Rich_uk is on a distinguished road
cheers dukesatan
i have 5.88 of free memory.
strange how i have 3 unknown apps running?
1 eiksrvbackdrop (204k)
2 menu c:\men (100k)
3 sysap (72k)

the homescreen that i cannot remove is using 324k

i have everything is on the mmc as much as possible

i have just done a test and with the camera on and a couple of apps running, the free memory is 4.64 and the running apps total is 1.40m but i am still unable to take a pic without an error message?

Last edited by Rich_uk; 11-08-2005 at 11:06 PM.
Ads

Old 12-08-2005, 11:50 PM

dukesatan is on a distinguished road
Ok, you might like to install if you havent AppMan, a very usefull program. Also start the phone up from cold and straight away run appman and see what applications/processes are running.

You may find you need to move some personal files from the phone memory to the MMC, having alot of large MMS messages all in the phones memory will gobble it up. Hence why many people have converted there messages to the MMC card. Basically if its a user file and can be moved to the MMC, it should be.

On my phone i'v got just about everything moved off i could and i'v uninstalled some of the pre installed programs which i'll never use and you can get the SIS files from nokia if you do want them anyway.

My total free memory according to Appman is 7.50Meg, and C: is 4.83Meg, thats only just enough to run the ZUnFat Camera program, the writer does say for that you must have 4 meg of free memory or it complain's. Naturally a picture with the normal camera program may need 2.5meg+ of free memory to store the uncompressed image, but then it needs to be compressed and written to the location as in the settings.

The only programs i have running are AppMan and Phone, these use 76K and 344K respectively, so if you have something else running which looks odd, first try killing that process or second think about if its a virus, yes even our beloved phones are getting them now :-(

I do have 2 processes which are similar in names to yours, no. 1 and 3, but no. 2 C:mem i cant say ono, did you have that program running yourself to find out what was running?? You might also like to ask yourself what you might have installed, additional programs might run extra background task's and support files like alot of the eP.... type ones do.

I know i'v installed all my programs to MMC, but at first you may not have, even the games will take up space if not installed on the MMC, not sure where they are installed by default now i come to think about it, something to look into lol.

Anyway, hope this gives some ideas.

Duke.