All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-05-2010, 01:52 PM

Twai is on a distinguished road
Anti-Virus & replying to text messages

Hello!
I just got my Nokia 5800 xpressmusic today, and so far I'm loving it! There are two questions I would like to ask other people that are experienced with this phone though, and this seemed like a good place to ask.

I have found some applications that I would like to install, but I am unsure about how safe it is, since I imagine that there's a chance to get a virus.

My question is if any anti-virus applications exist for this phone, and in that case, how necessary they are.

Apart from the top 25 list on this site and the ovi store, are there any recommended sites for downloading apps?

My second question is regarding text messages. When I get a text and want to answer it I have to go through choice > answer > text message (roughly translated from Swedish, not sure what they're actually called in the English version). What I would like to see is a quick button to reply with a text message straight away. Is there anything that I can install to get this, or do I have to live with doing it the more complicated way?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 20-05-2010, 06:26 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Options / Virus

Second question : it's Options > Answer > etc . I don't think there is a faster way . However , when you want to reply the message with a call : just press the green button .
About virus , read my today's answer in this thread :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=94857

Don't hesitate to much installing Apps . You could start in OVI store . But also plenty other software is safe .
Install software as a rule on Memorycard (use a big one like 8 or 16GB) , to save space on the phone's standard memory .

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 20-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Twai is on a distinguished road
This sounds like great news!
Searching around a bit I found some apps that were "unsigned" and needed some sort of procedure that involved mailing stuff about your phone before you could use them. Sounded a bit fishy and weird, and it said that the only workaround was to hack your phone.

I'm really new to the world of smartphones, last phone was many years old. If you would have any information about this I would be very grateful.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 21-05-2010, 10:01 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Unsigned/signed

The signing procedure is introduced to protect a regular user from malware . But : some apps are made by "poor" developers . To get their app signed they have to pay money they cannot afford .
When you want to become a real tweaker ( 1 in a million users) you could go for hacking . This will void your warranty .
When you want to keep your warranty and really want/need an unsigned app , you have to get it signed via Symbian Signing , or the Chinese Opda .
Because of limitations in some signed certificates , e.g. Time limit , you will get a prompt : "certificate expired" . In such a case just set the clock back to an appropriate date .

Regards jApi NL

Old 21-05-2010, 10:22 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
The signing procedure is introduced to protect a regular user from malware .
The signing procedure was introduced to primarily protect the network operators and the device manufacturers, and secondary to that, the phone users.