All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-05-2010, 08:39 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
If Nokia Made an Android Device...

Ok, lets imagine the Nokia N8, but with Android, lets call it, the A8. And lets imagine they gave it a stock Android interface but all the hardware support with 16 Gig, Wireless N, FM Radio, FM Transmitter, HDMI out, 12 MP Camera and Xenon flash (ooh sounds better all the time) out of the box.

Would you have the A8 over the N8?

I think I personally would.
Ads

Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
If it came with all that hardware, plus of course physical qwerty k/b, fully functioning Maps with free voice guidance and minimum of 1GHz CPU processor, I'd buy it tomorrow. Hell, I'd buy it today.

The N8 at this moment, I wouldn't even entertain.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 PM

I just look at where we are with Symbian. There's no Last.FM app, No Shazam, no Layar, loads of things missing, Im sure you can get loads of homebrew stuff, but crikey. Come on!

How long will it be before these things are supported properly and officially on Symbian^3.

Nokia should cut their losses and pride with Symbian, and start releasing Android.

Old 13-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Actually there is a Last.fm app (Mobbler) and Shazam. Layar for Symbian is in development (think its due out soon)... These should all work on Symbian^3. This actually shows one of the problem Symbian has - difference between perception and reality...

And if running Android on the N8's hardware you would not get the same performance - Symbian is more frugal with its resources (processor, RAM, energy)... Not to mention the fact that some of the hardware (HDMI out and bits of camera) is dependent on Symbian functionality. You would lose all the Ovi services too. Sure you get the Google ones, which is ok if you only use Google services, but that applies to only a small minority.

Interesting thought exercise though!

Old 13-05-2010, 08:13 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Actually there is a Last.fm app (Mobbler) and Shazam. Layar for Symbian is in development (think its due out soon)... These should all work on Symbian^3. This actually shows one of the problem Symbian has - difference between perception and reality...

And if running Android on the N8's hardware you would not get the same performance - Symbian is more frugal with its resources (processor, RAM, energy)... Not to mention the fact that some of the hardware (HDMI out and bits of camera) is dependent on Symbian functionality. You would lose all the Ovi services too. Sure you get the Google ones, which is ok if you only use Google services, but that applies to only a small minority.

here's one for you, threaded text messages. really advanced stuff, everyone else has managed to crack that one. any difference between perception and reality there?

A decent UI on Nokia's hardware would be mutts nuts.

Old 13-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Fair point on threaded text messages - you have to use third party software if you want this.

My understanding this is coming in the Nokia N8.

I don't think anyone would argue that the UI does not need improving. What people do argue about is how important this is relative to other merits.

Anyway roll on Symbian^3 and Symbian^4!

Old 13-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Fair point on threaded text messages - you have to use third party software if you want this.

My understanding this is coming in the Nokia N8.

I don't think anyone would argue that the UI does not need improving. What people do argue about is how important this is relative to other merits.

Anyway roll on Symbian^3 and Symbian^4!
well, having bought and sold the Desire, certainly for me UI does not make up for lack of hardware.

But at the same time, there is no point having great hardware if you cannot use it as intended.

I think what people really want is a UI that does justice to the hardware and makes it easy to use, rather than having to coax it to life and hope it doesn't crash.

i'm don't really care whether the N8 is slick, i just want it to work, does that make sense?

Old 13-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit44 View Post
i'm don't really care whether the N8 is slick, i just want it to work, does that make sense?
Absolutely. This is the very reason I'm fond of the E72. Also why things like camera button that work (easy to press, fast activating camera) are sometimes more important than a given function in a given app.

The issue is, of course, is what this constitutes varies enormously for different people. This is why its important to distinguish between pure UI and UX.

I personally think there's a current over emphasis on UI and looks, but that's a rather subjective opinion. For other the fashion of their phone is of paramount importance.

Old 13-05-2010, 02:23 PM

jamessmith01 is on a distinguished road
What's UX?

Old 13-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessmith01 View Post
What's UX?
i thought it meant user experience

Old 13-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks Rafe. Shazam wasn't available a few days ago and I got in a huff and stormed off. Likewise equally disappointing when you don't see an official Last.fm client but I'll have a go with Mobbler.

I've been a Symbian user for quite a while, think it was with the 7610 I first started, or was it the 3360 with the round keypad.

I've seen software DivX players come and go and improvements made to the software, but to see Symbian^3 not really change that much graphically is quite a disappointment.

Ideally Im hoping that they've completely revamped menus and messaging interfaces, the real core elements of the phone, and maybe have some better widgets so you can have a combined RSS feed that is say two, three or even four widgets high.

Get a friendstream kind of widget in there combining facebook and twitter, or perhaps a facebook widget that you can click on and have the thing expand. It's all a bit too static at the moment.

Totally, 100%, without a shadow of doubt, I think the N8 (apart from the screen and lacklustre processor and memory specs) are absolutely incredible. But the OS still leaves me cold.

The OVI store is quite poor in comparison, and we do have to wait around for our apps. SportsTracker has only just been released for the N97/5800 (yes granted it change ownership), but it seems developers focus more on iPhone and Android apps. And I can't believe Nokia still haven't licensed DivX. I want DivX! :-)

And when you think about movies on Digital Copy, no one supports Symbian. I think Android has more of a chance at being supported than Symbian, because it is getting more popular.

Nokia really need some kind of huge push, a huge design change to push Symbian forwards.

Hopefully the QT toolkit will open up development.

But until then, Im parking myself in the Android camp.

Hoping that the N8 gets more screen shots soon.

Old 13-05-2010, 08:54 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Absolutely. This is the very reason I'm fond of the E72. Also why things like camera button that work (easy to press, fast activating camera) are sometimes more important than a given function in a given app.

The issue is, of course, is what this constitutes varies enormously for different people. This is why its important to distinguish between pure UI and UX.

I personally think there's a current over emphasis on UI and looks, but that's a rather subjective opinion. For other the fashion of their phone is of paramount importance.
Looks like I made a good choice in acquiring the E72 then.....

After the experience with the N97, and I remember saying this same thing to friend who has the Samsung i8910, was that I wasn't overimpressed with touchscreen phones. It does seem like style over substance, and now having got rid of the N97, I can see what Nokia was trying to do, having both substance ( superb list of hardware ) and also style, but sadly , it couldn't quite carry it off for me.

Android at the moment, and the Desire, looks like a phone / OS that is trying to rival the iPhone - which is essentially, a phone that does the basics, very well, and very stylishly. THe reason i didn't buy it, was that it was lacking a few bits of hardware. I went for the E72 as I wanted a physical k/b, and in essence, a phone that operated in the same / similar fashion to my beloved N95. Plus I didn't want to shell out 450+ for another phone and be left disappointed as I was with the N97.

Andorid does seem to be making phones that are little lacking in the hardware arena, so based upon the above comments, does this lead us to a conclusion that only Symbian can truly handle the massive list of hardware that we all want? It does need to modernise though, the UI on the N97 was terrible to be frank, whereas on the E72 it seems to fit the bill.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 31-05-2010, 09:12 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
Ok, lets imagine the Nokia N8, but with Android, lets call it, the A8. And lets imagine they gave it a stock Android interface but all the hardware support with 16 Gig, Wireless N, FM Radio, FM Transmitter, HDMI out, 12 MP Camera and Xenon flash (ooh sounds better all the time) out of the box.

If Nokia made an Android phone it would likely have a slow processor and not enough RAM. Now if HTC made a Symbian^3 phone, that would be fantastic! (Except it would still have a shite camera)

Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
stick with symbian, i dont think i can customise an android phone to be like how my symbian one works..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post

Yes I would (probably!)

However, the closest Nokia has come to throwing out Symbian was the N900, and it hasn't taken the market by storm. I think Nokia's loyalty to Symbian will last a few years more...