All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM

andreas81 is on a distinguished road
E71 camera.

Hi guys.

Ok so I am planning on buying a nokia smartphone, so far it's been weighing between the E66 and E71, none other has really managed to steal my attention. These two are both top of the line and I like them both alot.

Now, as of today I am strongly leaning towards the E71. I am really, really liking the powerful battery times, the screen "landscape layout" is also appealing on a phone which is capable of so much more, and I gotta say the buttons on the E71 feel fantastic.

However, the one thing that is recurring when reading reviews of the phone, and user opinions, is that the camera is either "crap" or "average". I can definitely live with average, and on any vacations and the like I will be bringing my digital camera anyway so it's not a big deal, as long as I can atleast take decent snapshots with it.

Now here's my question (did not at all intend to write that much btw guess it's just cus I'm so hot for this phone atm...). I understand it has been/is an issue with the colors not coming back well on photos taken with the camera. I was wondering if this, and the camera in general, has improved any for those of you who have updated the phone with the most recent software upgrades released?

Like I said, it's not a huge deal to me with the camera, but it would be nice to know I will not get "complete crap" images with it...

All input appreciated, thanks in advance.

// Andreas
Ads

Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 PM

richardm40 is on a distinguished road
It is by the far the most dissapointing thing and I would go as gar as saying that for a phone of this level the camera is indeed CRAP!

My 2mp on my old Nokia N70 takes better shots, Ive no idea why it was made so bad, we all know its not a mutimedia phone but surly they could have made more effort!

This factor stops the phone being a 10/10 handset for me

Old 13-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks for your reply richard.

After some hints from other forums I found a spot on flickr where alot of photos taken with the e71 were posted, and personally I thought those pictures were completely decent to me. I guess I might have lower standards than other ppl

Anyway though, did you ever notice any improvement whatsoever to the camera after a software upgrade?

// Andreas

Old 13-06-2009, 10:17 PM

No I havent actually done the software upgrade and I am not sure if it has addressed the camera issue.

In daylight with sun the photos can be ok sometimes but some Ive taken can be really dreadful, I find I delete many of them after I have downloaded them to my PC as they are so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas81 View Post
Thanks for your reply richard.

After some hints from other forums I found a spot on flickr where alot of photos taken with the e71 were posted, and personally I thought those pictures were completely decent to me. I guess I might have lower standards than other ppl

Anyway though, did you ever notice any improvement whatsoever to the camera after a software upgrade?

// Andreas

Old 14-06-2009, 01:00 PM

DervMan is on a distinguished road
Some pictures on my E71 look relatively great whereas others don't look so good; I didn't buy the E71 for its camera, it's merely a "nice to have." The majority of my images are a cat looking cute or to illustrate a point (I've finished work, I'm at Starbucks, I have my Nintendo with me heh!). We have dedicated cameras for proper picture taking...

It does suffer in low light conditions, but less after the last firmware update. It takes better pictures outside compared with inside.

Overall, it does what I expect from a 'phone camera. You can tell what the picture is, but most of the time, it isn't printable really.

But the proof is in the pudding - except I've reduced the image size by 50% to try to give an idea of the image. Oh and I also removed the car registration...

If you want a full size image, let me know.

Old 14-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks for posting Derv.

I gotta say, those pictures again look perfectly decent to me. Except the 2nd from above, with the cat, looks like this was taken in lowlight conditions? The others look pretty damn good to me.

You say theyre not of printable quality? I'd have to question that judging from the pictures above :/ And yeah if u wanna link the full quality pictures I wouldnt mind seeing those too.

Thanks.

// Andreas

Old 14-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Yes I would have to agree that they are all decent apart from the 2nd one, maybe that should give the kick up the behind to update my firmware because they are certainly better than what mine takes

Old 15-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
yeah, I noticed on the latest fw update an improvement to any haze I was getting on photos before hand... again, I didnt get this phone for a camera, so it does me fine.

Old 16-06-2009, 07:22 AM

I must say, I still did not purchase the e71 even though I really really want to... But I am trying my best to keep cool cus whichever phone I purchase is gonna have to be mine for 2-3 years, I don't usually buy this expensive type of phones...

And as such, I am doing my best to make sure I get what I want... I am also starting to wonder if I should reevaluate the camera in the phone I am after or not. The thing is when you do have your phone with you all the time, if the phone does take good shots I think you are more prone to using it. Even though I'm not a huge camera fan in general...

On a separate note, I noticed this weekend nokia is releasing the E52 sometime this quarter, and I must say that one looks like an interesting alternative to the E71, albeit without a qwerty keyboard. It seems to pack all(?) of the e71 goods, but with some extras like exchange folder handling, feature pack 2, and a 600MHZ ARM 11 beast of a cpu, and the same mammoth battery of 1500mAh as in the E71.

With some pros and cons ofcourse, and just cus it looks good on paper doesn't mean it really is.

Old 17-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
seems a similiar subject gives a similar picture..

(fw v 210.)

Old 18-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardm40 View Post
Yes I would have to agree that they are all decent apart from the 2nd one, maybe that should give the kick up the behind to update my firmware because they are certainly better than what mine takes
Did you get around to updating your firmware yet? It would be really interesting to hear if you noticed a big improvement afterwards.

// Andreas

Old 19-06-2009, 05:37 AM

DervMan is on a distinguished road
Ooops

Oops! Sorry I've not been around sooner. We've just moved house.

Yeah, the cat on the sofa was taken with the flash needed in low light. That isn't especially usable, but for me the rest are.

I'll drop back with links to the full size images in a week or so when our network and ASDL is online...

Old 23-06-2009, 11:13 AM

jamsta0 is on a distinguished road
I've had an E71 for a couple of months now and for day-to-day pictures the camera is fine. If you're going on holiday or something you might want to take a proper digital camera but as far as I'm concerned the pictures are good. A massive improvement on the E65 I had previously which took shocking photos.

Old 23-06-2009, 11:41 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile E72

@andreas81 : did you consider the upcoming E72 ? It's got the software upgrade to FP2 + hardware upgrade like 5MP camera and I suppose dual LED flash . Of course also a price upgrade .....
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=84839

jApi NL

Old 23-06-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
@andreas81 : did you consider the upcoming E72 ? It's got the software upgrade to FP2 + hardware upgrade like 5MP camera and I suppose dual LED flash . Of course also a price upgrade .....
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=84839

jApi NL
Hi mate. Yeah, as a matter of fact I am right now just biding my time and waiting for the e72 and e52 to come out. I'm not sure which one I'll go for, if the e52 gets good reviews it's appealing since it has most if not all of what I'll need and at a cheaper pricetag...

Though, the e52 still only has a 3.2mpixel camera, which is fine by me but hoping they have maybe upgraded it atleast a little compared to the e71 which usually isn't that praised (though yes, alot of pictures do look perfectly fine to me...)

And ofcourse the e52 doesn't have the qwerty keyboard, something I'm not entirely sure how I feel about since it automatically makes the phone broader too....

The e72 looks damn hot though, I gotta say... and if anyone's interested, here's a flickr group with some absolutely super nice photos taken with the camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graceda...7619864527011/

If anything, that just might make me go for the e72 even if it will cost over 400euros...... I'm starting to think I really want a good camera in my phone, so I don't have to bother with my digital camera anymore :P

// Andreas