All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-04-2009, 01:41 AM

cliffrlp is on a distinguished road
Need help *Former blackberry user*

Hi all,

Just needed some help...I came from the Sony X1 (winmo 6.1 professional) and then went to the blackberry bold...had a couple other blackberries before that. I had a few questions and was hoping someone could help me with...

1st. I'm trying to sync to outlook and having a lot of problems with mail-for-exchange. It's outlook express and i know that my domain is "na" and server name is "sync.xxxxxx" xxxxx = is name of company. But I can't get it to connect...am I missing something or can the e71 just not do outlook exchange?

2nd. I synced my gmail acount with it, but I coudln't get it to just pop up when I got an e-mail. I had to keep going into the inbox and hitting menu - connect. Is there a way to set this up? LIke the blackberry push mail??

3rd. I still have the bold and stuck my sim card in my friends e71...i set up nimbuzz and conversation apps...will e71x have threaded text built in?? I heard a rumor from AT&T that the e71x will be out may 4th so i'll still be in exchange period for it.

4th. On the bold I can hit my uppercase button and scroll up and it'll select whatever I roll over...with the e71 I could only find "mark all" what if i just wanted to mark half my messages? Do i just have to go one by one?

Thanks for all the help...just trying to see if I want to stick w/ the bold or try something new!

-Leor

Old 23-04-2009, 04:43 AM

joselms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrlp View Post
Hi all,

Just needed some help...I came from the Sony X1 (winmo 6.1 professional) and then went to the blackberry bold...had a couple other blackberries before that. I had a few questions and was hoping someone could help me with...

2nd. I synced my gmail acount with it, but I coudln't get it to just pop up when I got an e-mail. I had to keep going into the inbox and hitting menu - connect. Is there a way to set this up? LIke the blackberry push mail??

-Leor
I can help you on No. 2. Try Nokia Messaging, go to email.nokia.com. It's a different email client that you can download OTA and setup your emails (Yahoo, Google Mail, AOL) on that website up to 10 email accounts.

I think you are using the native email client. I have had the same experience with that on my Yahoo and Google mail accounts. I had to go on Menu and hit Connect every now and then because for some reason I loose connection and so does the auto-sync. One reason is you selected EXIT instead of hitting any button to hide the app. It is weird and it is not sinking on me. So I tried Nokia Messaging. Another downside to the native one is that it doesn't really download the entire email. It "push-notify" you of new emails and only when you select to open it, that is the only time it will download emails.

Nokia Messaging now has HTML format, and you can download images, right off the email body. Unlike the native one which arrives as attachment that you have to click and open through a browser.

Old 23-04-2009, 04:51 AM

Awesome, thank you so much for the help! I'll try it out now

Quote:
Originally Posted by joselms View Post
I can help you on No. 2. Try Nokia Messaging, go to email.nokia.com. It's a different email client that you can download OTA and setup your emails (Yahoo, Google Mail, AOL) on that website up to 10 email accounts.

I think you are using the native email client. I have had the same experience with that on my Yahoo and Google mail accounts. I had to go on Menu and hit Connect every now and then because for some reason I loose connection and so does the auto-sync. One reason is you selected EXIT instead of hitting any button to hide the app. It is weird and it is not sinking on me. So I tried Nokia Messaging. Another downside to the native one is that it doesn't really download the entire email. It "push-notify" you of new emails and only when you select to open it, that is the only time it will download emails.

Nokia Messaging now has HTML format, and you can download images, right off the email body. Unlike the native one which arrives as attachment that you have to click and open through a browser.

Old 23-04-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for all the help...just trying to see if I want to stick w/ the bold or try something new!

-Leor

I went from the Blackberry Curve 8330, then switched to Apple's iPhone, then changed my mind and thought Storm 9530 is better so I switched again. To my disappointment, it's actually worse than the iPhone and IMHO the Storm is probably the worst Blackberry every made. Nice try, RIM, but it will take years and years and you still will not be able to come close to the Safari browser. Luckily I still have my iPhone, so I switched back.

I was looking for a good compromise between BB's email and the iPhone's browser, and fortunately I found the E71. The E71's browser is a step up to any Blackberry's including the Bold which I had the chance to compare side by side with my Nokia E71 and iPhone. I found myself with only the E71 on hand on my recent Asian trip.

I think the Storm was launched in a rush. It looked more like a trial run. Consumers should be reimbursed for getting a substandard Blackberry handset.

Old 23-04-2009, 05:02 AM

It's funny you say that about the Storm...RIM's CEO had a press conference roughly a week ago stating they will offer voucher style credits to people wanting to upgrade to the new STORM. HAHA, the storm was horrible...It made me sad to own a blackberry. I've had the bold for a while, and then went to the sony (winmo has killed that phone... ) and then back to the bold. But I stuck my SIM in my friends e71...I have my ups and downs.
E71 browser is better / slimmer / screen in the sunlight is OUTSTANDING
Bold more apps (that I can find) / the screen resolution is by far superior even though the e71 has more colors / push mail (will try the nokia mail messenger)...
So i'm pretty much totally confused...if I can sync my work email i'd be sold on the e71x. Biggest FAIL of all blackberry is no threaded text...and the apps don't get rid of that stupid envelope for a new message at the top like conversation does for s60. And with FP2 on e71x having built in threading, it'll be solid!

Quote:
I went from the Blackberry Curve 8330, then switched to Apple's iPhone, then changed my mind and thought Storm 9530 is better so I switched again. To my disappointment, it's actually worse than the iPhone and IMHO the Storm is probably the worst Blackberry every made. Nice try, RIM, but it will take years and years and you still will not be able to come close to the Safari browser. Luckily I still have my iPhone, so I switched back.

I was looking for a good compromise between BB's email and the iPhone's browser, and fortunately I found the E71. The E71's browser is a step up to any Blackberry's including the Bold which I had the chance to compare side by side with my Nokia E71 and iPhone. I found myself with only the E71 on hand on my recent Asian trip.

I think the Storm was launched in a rush. It looked more like a trial run. Consumers should be reimbursed for getting a substandard Blackberry handset.

Old 23-04-2009, 05:12 AM

There is a threaded SMS app on Nokia Beta Labs, if you want one. Take note: Beta, so its not guaranteed to run perfectly all the time. I forgot what its called, but I tried that once and it worked well. If you don't like it, delete it. I assigned a long-press on the Envelope button to access it quickly.

Nokia Messaging and Nokia Beta Labs, you will love both.

Old 23-04-2009, 05:13 AM

Yep called conversation. A bit buggy but not a bad app at all...hoping the e71x will come built in with it.

Quote:
There is a threaded SMS app on Nokia Beta Labs, if you want one. Take note: Beta, so its not guaranteed to run perfectly all the time. I forgot what its called, but I tried that once and it worked well. If you don't like it, delete it. I assigned a long-press on the Envelope button to access it quickly.

Nokia Messaging and Nokia Beta Labs, you will love both.

Old 24-04-2009, 07:46 PM

chucky.egg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi all,
1st. I'm trying to sync to outlook and having a lot of problems with mail-for-exchange. It's outlook express and i know that my domain is "na" and server name is "sync.xxxxxx" xxxxx = is name of company. But I can't get it to connect...am I missing something or can the e71 just not do outlook exchange?
Are you sure the mail system you're trying to connect to is an Exchange server?
If you use Outlook Express it might just be a traditional POP3/IMAP mailbox.

If it is Exchange find out (from your company IT guys, or whatever company hosts your email service) what their Outlook Web Access address is - something like http://webmail.serviceprovider.com

Old 24-04-2009, 07:48 PM

Sorry forgot this one:

Quote:
4th. On the bold I can hit my uppercase button and scroll up and it'll select whatever I roll over...with the e71 I could only find "mark all" what if i just wanted to mark half my messages? Do i just have to go one by one?
Select the first email you want to delete, press-and-hold Shift and scroll up/down to the last one, ,then press Backspace to delete the selected ones

Old 24-04-2009, 07:53 PM

The web address is https://owa.xxxxxxx.com so w/ that being said, what's the next step?

The hold shift button worked perfectly, kinda kicking my own butt for not being able to figure something like that out!

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky.egg View Post
Are you sure the mail system you're trying to connect to is an Exchange server?
If you use Outlook Express it might just be a traditional POP3/IMAP mailbox.

If it is Exchange find out (from your company IT guys, or whatever company hosts your email service) what their Outlook Web Access address is - something like http://webmail.serviceprovider.com

Old 26-04-2009, 06:45 AM

Your MfE settings will (probably) be like this:

Connection
Exchange server: https://owa.xxxxxxx.com
Secure connection: Yes
Access point: {choose}
Sync while roaming: {choose}
Use default port: Yes

Credentials
Username: {possibly_your_email_address}
Password: {password_for_mailbox}
Domain: None {or NA}

Try that

Old 27-04-2009, 04:46 AM

Did all that and it says "missing mandatory settings. save without changes" and won't let me do anything ... if I hit saves it deletes the profile. This is frustrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky.egg View Post
Your MfE settings will (probably) be like this:

Connection
Exchange server: https://owa.xxxxxxx.com
Secure connection: Yes
Access point: {choose}
Sync while roaming: {choose}
Use default port: Yes

Credentials
Username: {possibly_your_email_address}
Password: {password_for_mailbox}
Domain: None {or NA}

Try that

Old 27-04-2009, 08:34 PM

I can't tell what the missing settings are without wiping my setup (sorry, no can do!)

Tell us what the other options are on the screen(s) you fill in, and we might be able to work out the settings you need.
Ads

Old 29-04-2009, 03:11 AM

Will do this tomorrow!

QUOTE=chucky.egg;417922]I can't tell what the missing settings are without wiping my setup (sorry, no can do!)

Tell us what the other options are on the screen(s) you fill in, and we might be able to work out the settings you need.[/quote]

Old 30-04-2009, 01:20 AM

Before I can get to the email issue

Why is it that it doesn't show up the name of the contacts on some calls and then on others it does? And the conversation apps doesn't show names...it says "unnamed" but only for one or two contacts. I delete the contact and put it in new, i recopy the contacts from the sim card...etc.

What's the deal?