All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Mail on Ovi webmail now live

The webmail component of Mail on Ovi, which was previewed at Nokia World last year, is now live (in beta status, naturally). Along with the webmail component you can now also use Mail on Ovi on S60 devices by adding the email address to either the built in Messaging application or the Nokia Messaging service. Mail on Ovi had previously only been available via Beta Labs on Nokia's Series 40 handsets. Mail on Ovi gives you a username@ovi.com e-mail account, based on your Ovi username, with a space quota of 1GB. Read on for more details and a short video demo...

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 AM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
I'm considering changing my gmail to this, even if it has less features. My username is so awesome! firstname@ovi.com! plus it would reaffirm my position as a nokia fanatic. lol, I'm such a geek.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 AM

tenoce is on a distinguished road
I need a firefox add-on for mail checking of my Ovi mail account.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
?
How do you mean? Firefox is working fine for me; no plugins being asked-for, even drag & drop working.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 AM

tenoce is on a distinguished road
Some comfort stuff.
By having an add-on on your Firefox, it alerts you when new email arrives to your Ovi mail address. You might not always have your ovi account open in your browser.

Have a look at a similar add-on for gmail:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/173

Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 AM

Rafe, you say I can use the @ovi.com account in the built-in messaging app: can I also use it in, say, profimail? If so, where are the settings such as server names and security settings? The beta Nokia email client looks OK but I'm concious of the fact that I now have three different email clients on my handset. This looks more like divergence than convergence just at the moment.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Neil,

Yes you can use it with any mail client - sorry I should have made this clearer.

These are the settings (based on S60 Messaging):

Incoming email:
User name: you@ovi.com
Password: *****
Incoming mail server: imap.mail.ovi.com
Mailbox type: IMAP 4
Security (ports) SSL/TLS
Port: Default

Outgoing email:
My email address: username@ovi.com
User name: username@ovi.com
Password: *****
Outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.ovi.com
Security (ports): SSL/TLS
Port: Default

You should be able to use these in any mail client including Profimail.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Thanks, but in Profimail, with smtp and imap ports at 25 and 143 respectively, it will only work with ssl unchecked. No big deal as I've got nothing to hide.

There are a couple of things spring to mind here.

- Personally I'd be surprised if they start charging, because the (apparently compulsory) ads at the foot of each email must be worth a fortune in raising awareness of Ovi.

- I would prefer to use the native messaging client because of its integration with other apps (eg, "send" from Gallery). However, the native app is pants so I use Profimail for several different mailboxes. The new 'Nokia Email' looks to me like a Series 40 app, with no integration with other apps, and I agree with the appraisal that this whole thing is aimed at new email users in the developing world; it therefore isn't of much interest to me, except insofar as I wish Nokia every success with it.

Does anybody know of a third-party email client, with as much functionality as Profimail, that integrates with other apps, so that I can, for example, just select "send" from Gallery?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Founder / Chief

Neil - I don't think they will charge for Mail on Ovi. What they will charge for (well maybe) is the Nokia Messaging service - this service takes any email and effectively turns it into a basic push email account. The number of email services Nokia has get a bit confusing... but as I see it:

1) Mail on Ovi - for those who don't have an email address - has a webmail component and easy sign up on the phone into standard Messaging application. This will be free.

2) Messaging with current email - for thsoe who have an emai, but want to use it on their phone. The configuration wizard helps set this up in the standard Messaging application (i.e. using POP or IMAP). This will be free.

3) Nokia Messaging with current email - for those with a current email address (e.g. GMail, Yahoo, ISP etc.) but who want a premium service on their phone. Gives basic consumer push email. This service will be charged for.

4) Mail for Exchanage and Messaging - for those using corporate email (also appplies to things like Lotus Notes Blackberry, Visto etc etc).

The slight complication is that you can add an Ovi.com account to Nokia Messaging if you so wish (its just another email account after all). It may be that Nokia will offer a specific version of the Nokia Messaging client for Ovi.com users...

---

Yes agree the built in messaging application needs an overhaul right now. The integration is very important and the current situation is a mess. I can't be the only one who has configured an email account in messaging for sending stuff, but doesn't use it for receiving / reading.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post

3) Nokia Messaging with current email - for those with a current email address (e.g. GMail, Yahoo, ISP etc.) but who want a premium service on their phone. Gives basic consumer push email. This service will be charged for.
May I just modify this one to include "... and who lack the basic knowledge or inclination to set these up on an existing mail client, or who have only a Series40 handset", since Gmail at least is already "push" if you don't mind fiddling around with settings. I'm not taking the piss here: they need to address the less-technically-adept in order to compete with Apple, but I do see a lot of this as more of a Series40 thing. And we seem to be agreed that in an effort to simplify things they've ended-up with yet another Great Finnish Muddle™.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:26 PM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
Neil's plans for a career in the Diplomatic Service are put on hold for a while.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
May I just modify this one to include "... and who lack the basic knowledge or inclination to set these up on an existing mail client, or who have only a Series40 handset", since Gmail at least is already "push" if you don't mind fiddling around with settings. I'm not taking the piss here: they need to address the less-technically-adept in order to compete with Apple, but I do see a lot of this as more of a Series40 thing. And we seem to be agreed that in an effort to simplify things they've ended-up with yet another Great Finnish Muddle™.
Heh, you wont get much argument from me.

Things are getting better - the current email wizard on the recent devices works quite well (from the point of view that many people will only need to enter email address and password):

But screenshots like this also help illustrate the problem. And of course this will blur further when there are Ovi.com and Mail for Exchnage options also included.