All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-08-2008, 03:30 PM

GDavids is on a distinguished road
Comparison of S60 editions for Eseries, Nseries and standard devices

Dear all:

Being new to this forum, please let me shortly introduce. I have now used a E61 for quite some time and I am very pleased with its functionality, its stability and - especially - its software.

Before I had (after the very early days) two Communicators (9110i, 9210i), a UIQ 3.0 device (Sony Ericsson W950i) and a Windows Mobile 5.0 PPC Phone Edition (Vodafone VDA compact II, i.e. HTC Wizard 110). No other platform has convinced me as much as S60 has. This is why I would like my next mobile phone to be based on this platform as well.

These are the devices I am primarily thinking about:

- E66 (Eseries S60 FP1)
- E71 (Eseries S60 FP1)
- N78 (S60 3rd Edition FP 2)
- N82 (S60 3rd Edition FP 1?)

Budget options would include:

- 6220 Classic
- 6650 (T-Mobile branded)

Primarily, hardware features that are important to me are:
- WLAN
- GPS

However, far more important to me are certain software features, such as a powerful address book, e-mail application and calendar. (Whereas for calendar I have now relied on Handy Calendar which is fine for my purpose.)

So far, I have read that - although all those devices listed above are based on S60 3rd edition - they might still differ with respect to these (or other) software features.

Does anyone know a good comparison of this features, i.e. a direct comparison of Eseries, Nseries, and standard S60 editions?

I was not able to find such information in this forum, on other sites or via web search.

What are your experiences? Have you ever switched from Eseries to Nseries or standard S60 or back?

I would highly appreciate any help/advice!

Best regards,
Gill

PS: I hope this is the 'correct' part of the forum to ask this question.

Last edited by GDavids; 11-08-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
There are. The E series generally has a few tweaks to contacts etc that people find useful.

To find out what, you should read the E71 and E66 reviews on this site, I think Rafe (or Steve) say in detail what the differences are.

Although Im told there are differences in FP2, I cannot really see them.

I have moved from a 6110N (FP1) to a 6220C (FP2).

I will be moving to an E66 though as soon as I get the funds.
Ads

Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
i always used N series phones and the n95 is my current. i recently just bought the E71 and its my first E series device. i am on the fence because i dont like qwerty keyboards. but man is this e71 the most solid, beautifully designed device i've ever seen. its like it wsa carved out of granite rock or something. the n95 feels like a plastic toy in comparison. that said, i am a slider fan and i kinda want an e66 instead. but then the question is n95 or e66? no question the E series phones have poor multi media functions, where the n95 is awesome in that category. decisions decisions...

Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Thank you both for your comments!

@bartmanekul: Thank you for the remark to go through the E66 and E71 reviews. Having been so focused on finding a comparison of the software itself, I simply missed the idea of reading those two reviews. I will do that know over my holidays.

@RogerPodacter: Regarding your E71, do you primarily miss multimedia features on the hardware side (such as the better camera) or on the software side (gallery, music player)? In case you refer to the software side: What differences are the most striking ones to you?

Starting today, I will be off for one week... but I have just printed the respective reviews in order to be able to read them in-depth. I might not be able to reply within the next 7 days.

Best regards,
Gill

Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Roger, why not see if you can make do with your E71's multimedia functions? From what I hear its more or less identical to the E66.

In fact, apart from form factor those 2 are identical apart from the E66 having an accelerometer, and nokias versions of rotate me and flipsilent.

Gill, Im suprised you have both the E66 and E71 in your list, surely you prefer either qwerty or a standard keypad?

I will say that once you have got used to the build quality in an E series, you would hate to use N series again.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Based on your device history - I think I'd recommend and E71.

The Eseries has better Calendar and Contact software than the other S60 devices. Outside of this the differences are minor in the core applications across E, N and numbered.

The difference comes in the bundled software (more business focused on E, more multimedia on N, less all around on numbered). But even that is a generalisation...

For example the E71 has a nice smart dial feature from the idle screen which no other device has (out of the box). The N78 has the most advanced UPnP functions (the Eseries have none at all) and a better Gallery. However many functions are common such as the very useful Search (Internet and on device) application.

There are hardware differences. e.g. the 3.2 megapixel camera in the E71/E66 is not nearly as good as that in the N78... WiFi is not present in the 6220 or 6650 (might rule these out).

Thinking about this might be a good subject for a feature for those like yourself looking for a detailed explanation.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavids View Post
Thank you both for your comments!

@RogerPodacter: Regarding your E71, do you primarily miss multimedia features on the hardware side (such as the better camera) or on the software side (gallery, music player)? In case you refer to the software side: What differences are the most striking ones to you?

Best regards,
Gill
well the e71 has a horrible gallery for viewing pics compared to the n95. its boring and looks like its from 1993. the music players are the same. the n95 camera is obviously better and records superior video. the main thing i miss is the hardware, knowing that i dont have a great camera with me at all times. i dont know its a tough call.

i dont need qwerty and like T9, so thats kinda why i want the e66; i like sliders.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:24 PM

I deeply apologize

Dear all,

thank you very much for your responses. I deeply apologize for my not caring for the thread I have started, which is not exemplary at all.

Due to an unfortunate combination of events, I have deferred my decision to buy a new mobile phone for several weeks now. Subsequently I could not follow this thread.

From now on, this should not happen again.

In the mean time, my focus of interest has changed - also due to additions in Nokia's line-up.

With the N79 showing up, I have lost interest in the N78. The N82 is too old in my opinion.

The E71 is a beautiful device. And the E63 also looks interesting.

However, as silly as it sounds, in the meantime, there are far too many people owning this device who I cannot identify myself with at all. With a subscription, it is a real bargain. A lot of people use it who do not have a clue and think they can show off with it. - Please do not misunderstand. This does surely not refer to people in this forum - simply because AAS readers know what they are talking about, they buy devices on purpose and not in order to show off.

In addition, for my purposes I have exluded the "budget options" (6650 or 6220C).

So, it all comes down to the E66.

Although, I have used an E61 so far, I do not think I will need the qwerty. For me it will be more about content consumption than about content creation: I would like to read mails but I am too lazy to respond via mobile phone. Either the sender has to wait till I get back to my PC or I give him/her a short call. The flipside feature outwaves the E71's smooth smart dialing feature for me.

Just out of interest: Rafe you wrote:

Quote:
The Eseries has better Calendar and Contact software than the other S60 devices.
Have you ever seen a direct comparison of the Eseries Calendar and Contact application with the native S60 equivalents?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I dont have a direct comparison, but if you read the E66 review here you'll see some of what I mean:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...ew_Eseries.php

Old 07-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Dear Rafe,

Thank you for answering so quickly.

I have read your review before of course. However, I did not remeber that it gives such detailed statements regarding the two applications.

To summarise: The Contacts application has not been modified that much. The Calendar's month view has been adapted according to some functions one could already have when using Handy Calendar. The week view has received an update which differs from Handy Calendar's approach to the week view. It would be difficult for me to see one application ahead of the other here. - Of course the built-in Calendar app is free.

In addition, I would like to correct my statement that E66's flipside outwaved E71 smart dialing feature for me. To be correct, the E66 has the smart dialing feature, too.

I think that the decision is clear for me. I will post my first expiriences when I have the device.

Thanks again, everybody!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:09 PM

One question regarding the E66's software: As I read e.g. here after a short search for "nokia e66 bugs", the E66 software seems to have some unlovely bugs. Does anyone know whether there has already been a major update to the software fixing most of the bugs relevant to the majority of users?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Founder / Chief

Yes, off the top of my head, that sounds right to me in terms of the differences. Of course you can also continue to use Handy Calendar if you wish.

Not sure on E66 bugs as I've not kept a track of these. Its worth checking what the bugs are to see whether they'll annoy you (i.e. there's so much functioanlity in the handsets that often something regarded by buggy and major annoyance by one person is irrelevant to someone else).

Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks again for replying so quickly!

In the meantime, I have had a short look at recent firmware updates' changelogs. The reported problems seem to have been addressed.

If I do not need to buy a new Handy Calendar update for the E66's S60 version, this is just another way to re-finance the new E66.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:33 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
The difference for me is:

Nseries has better Gallery and S60 9.3 has Photos application too...and Ngage...while the Quick Office is viewer only and u need to purshace a licence for 70$ i guess.

Eseries has Quick Office editor & better build quality...E71 has some editions like the better Calendar.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Oh, yes, Ammar_Dento, thank you.

The QuickOffice version is something I always forget about. I think, for my purposes an E66 will work just fine.