All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-07-2008, 12:50 AM

fastewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantoso View Post
for those of you who have filled e71 with lots of contacts and messages and probably appplications, is the process of opening messaging, contact details consider really fast? maybe like E51 or 6110 Navigator? i find these 2 phones are the fastest. i've used E61 and E61i and now E51, i only changed because of the slowness in opening things.
Oh and BTW, I have 1200 contacts and sync mail back a month on exchange and all mail on my comcast accounts

Old 27-07-2008, 09:45 AM

goesseln is on a distinguished road
Here is a new one!

Hello,

i received my new E71 yesterday, it replaces my Apple iPhone 8GB 1. Gen. love the comment about Apples walled garden as it exactly meets my situation.

The E71 seems to be simply gorgeous and Nokia finally notices that there are some non windows users out there. Actually thats something i really expect from a company which is not using Windows for its own devices either.

Glad to found this forum.

Greetings from Germany, Guido.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:04 AM

Jer is on a distinguished road
New E71 user here and loving it. My previous phone was the E70, 6822, 6820 & 6800. Noticing a pattern here? I've had a fold out keyboard style Nokia for about the last seven or eight years so this is a big move for me.

So far I'm loving everything about it and the ONLY negative I see so far is the relatively small size of the keys as previously mentioned. I have larger hands so trying to type with my sausage links it's a bit of a struggle but I'm sure with time I will adjust.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:23 PM

clinton1675 is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

I got my E71 a week ago. Really a big improvement over the old E61 I used to have.

My only complaint aside from the camera is the fact that when you connect it to your pc using a usb connection under mass storage, I find that once I disconnect, I can no longer access the memory card using the file manager.

I get the "memory card is in use" message. I am also unable to open the music player. I usually have to shut the phone off and turn it on again to access the memory card.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:27 PM

msantoso is on a distinguished road
so i bought E71 yesterday and sync w/ my imac (need to download additional plug-in for E71 at nokia website, found at europe.nokia.com).

Having 1700 contacts and around 200 sms and 400 emails, opening application is a breeze for now. opening contacts app still took 1-2 seconds, but once inside, opening contact with 27 details does instantly shown, so it's better to leave the contact app always running in the background. Great job Nokia.

Messaging does not show any delay, really nice.

i just notice that most symbol disappear from the keypad, not like E61/i. i think it's more useful to put symbol like _, $, (, ), [, ], = on the keypad itself rather than going through symbol list.

another thing i realise, when i visit allaboutsymbian.com, the pull down menu doesn't work like Forum - S60 Forum, so have to go to Forum then go to S60 FP1, and login form is not shown as well (the username and password field is missing), even when i click on "Post Reply" button, the username and password field is not available. weird? anyone notices this as well?

browsing on iphone is much better, but at least nokia browser display/format most site correctly so it's still acceptable, and worst experience with blackberry.

camera have purple tint on every single image, hopefully to be fixed by future firmware upgrade. and the snap shutter sound is so loud, can't turn it off even in silent mode (impossible to take picture of my new born baby )

oh another thing, about Nokia Maps, how to disable search field to appear only when we needed it? and how to display more details like speed, journey, etc etc? i remember nokia maps in E61i w/ Bluetooth GPS can display that details. (I haven't read the manual yet, but can't seem to find it on the menu)

Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 PM

gabs227 is on a distinguished road
Need Help with language support

Hi all,

I bought the E71 in New York City about a month ago. Unfortunately, it does not support Chinese. I dont need the interface to be in chinese but I do it to recognize chinese so that my SMS messages dont turn into code. Does anyone on here know how I can get that to work? Do I need to change the software update or what? Any help is appreciated.

BTW - the best phone I have owned so far. Very quick response with the OS and fun to use. My friends are all real impressed with it. Some of them are iphone 3G users and they were complaining about their internet problems.

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Gabe

Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 AM

smapdi is on a distinguished road
I just bought one in NYC about 4 days ago. I have been getting used to the OS because it has been about 4 years since my last S60 phone (I gave up my beloved 7610 to my girlfriend).

Since my previous phone was the T-Mobile Wing (HTC Herald) I must say I love how "snappy" the applications launch and feel on the E71. Also loving the envious looks of my BlackBerry owning friends every time they see how small and comfortable it is .

I would love to check out how it performs on 3G networks but, even though T-Mobile says 3G is on in NYC, I have not been able to find an area where I can get 3G signal.

The only issue I've had is that the settings for the phone seem to be all over the place and not really laid out logically.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Jer is on a distinguished road
That's funny that you mention that because I used to the think the 8100 was a good looking little phone for how many features it has. The other day while having lunch with my mom our phones were side by side on the table and I actually realized how junky it made her phone look. Nokia usually isn't known for great looks so I'm glad they took time to make the E71 look like the high tech phone that it is.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
I just bought one in NYC about 4 days ago. I have been getting used to the OS because it has been about 4 years since my last S60 phone (I gave up my beloved 7610 to my girlfriend).

Since my previous phone was the T-Mobile Wing (HTC Herald) I must say I love how "snappy" the applications launch and feel on the E71. Also loving the envious looks of my BlackBerry owning friends every time they see how small and comfortable it is .

I would love to check out how it performs on 3G networks but, even though T-Mobile says 3G is on in NYC, I have not been able to find an area where I can get 3G signal.

The only issue I've had is that the settings for the phone seem to be all over the place and not really laid out logically.

the e71 will never work on tmobile's 3g network in the USA, because tmobile uses unique frequencies that no other network in the world uses at the moment. tmobile uses 1700 paired with 2100, while ATT uses 850 and 1900. and note: tmobile's 2100 is different than the 2100 used in UK and the rest of the world. so a UK 3g phone with 2100 band will not work on tmobile USA's 2100 band. bummer because tmobile users will be stuck with strictly what tmobile offers for the first year or 2. it will take a while before manufacturers sell unlocked phones with tmobile 3g frequencies.

ironically NYC is the first market that tmobile launched 3G in. but you are stuck with the 4 crappy dumb phones that work with it.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 AM

jaspeanuts is on a distinguished road
Hi

been using it for a while since July. Love it. The only problem is that it does not sync to email on outlook if u use the Nokia Suite unless u use exchange server.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM

smapdi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
the e71 will never work on tmobile's 3g network in the USA, because tmobile uses unique frequencies that no other network in the world uses at the moment. tmobile uses 1700 paired with 2100, while ATT uses 850 and 1900. and note: tmobile's 2100 is different than the 2100 used in UK and the rest of the world. so a UK 3g phone with 2100 band will not work on tmobile USA's 2100 band. bummer because tmobile users will be stuck with strictly what tmobile offers for the first year or 2. it will take a while before manufacturers sell unlocked phones with tmobile 3g frequencies.

ironically NYC is the first market that tmobile launched 3G in. but you are stuck with the 4 crappy dumb phones that work with it.
Well that makes me a sad panda

I wonder if they will ever support the 850/1900 frequency my 71-2 supports.....

Sigh
Ads

Old 13-09-2008, 01:21 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
Well that makes me a sad panda

I wonder if they will ever support the 850/1900 frequency my 71-2 supports.....

Sigh

no they wont. tmobile spent over 5 billion i think for the AWS spectrum which is the 1700 and 2100 paired bandwidth specifically for their 3g network. they dont have much 850, if any, to use for 3g anyway. their 1700/2100 covers the entire USA geographically, so that is what they will use. this has been discussed in depth over at howardforums in the tmobile subforum. it kinda sucks because now it just throws 2 additional bands into the USA market, and makes it confusing for phone buyers and makers. we already have 3 versions of the e71. we would need to have an e71-4 for tmobile USA on top of it all. unless nokia starts making multiband 3g chipset phones.