All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 AM

apatkinson is on a distinguished road
HSDPA 3.5g icon

Does anyone get the 3.5G icon on their E51?

I am told i am getting HSDPA, however the logo does not change.
Yep this is with T-Mobile on the normal WnW plan

I have been told many different stories...
The phone cannot simply get data any faster than it is currently
you need to change plans
you dont need to cange plans
you need a software update

Is there anyone on t-Mobile with their logo changing?
and what plan are you on?

or is there something i need to do with the phone?
(the high speed data access setting is set to enable)

Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatkinson View Post
Does anyone get the 3.5G icon on their E51?

I am told i am getting HSDPA, however the logo does not change.
Yep this is with T-Mobile on the normal WnW plan

I have been told many different stories...
The phone cannot simply get data any faster than it is currently
you need to change plans
you dont need to cange plans
you need a software update

Is there anyone on t-Mobile with their logo changing?
and what plan are you on?

or is there something i need to do with the phone?
(the high speed data access setting is set to enable)
Unfortunately the logo doesn't change so there is no visual evidence that you have 3.5G.
The only way would be to hook up to a laptop as modem and speed check.
I have done this and get up to 400kbps.
The T-mobile 3G system is robust and if you are in 3G coverage it's safe to say you will get the fastest speed supported at the time.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:07 PM

HowieG is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up E51 3.5G logo

If the E51 is connected via a 3.5G data call, then the icon displayed next to the signal strength changes from '3G' to '3.5G'. This only happens when the connection is active - you can't tell until the data transfer actually is live.

The problem you are having is that on the standard T-Mobile Web and Walk only 3G is enabled not 3.5G. To get the higher speeds you need to upgrade your account to WnW Plus or Max (will cost an extra 4.25 a month).

This is what I had to do, but its worth it as the difference is significant (note it is only for downloads not uploads). Also, if you apply to upgrade your account it only takes place at the end of each month period so you may have to wait a couple of weeks for it to take effect. You can do the account upgrade on-line.

I use my E51 with a Nokia N810 and the link is seemless allowing excellent web browsing, MSN messaging and email via WnW plus at 3.5G speeds.

HowieG.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
The only way would be to hook up to a laptop as modem and speed check.
I have done this and get up to 400kbps.
The T-mobile 3G system is robust and if you are in 3G coverage it's safe to say you will get the fastest speed supported at the time.
i dont beleive this to be true, as i hooked up a non HSDPA phone and got the same speed as youa re saying(400kbps). this 400kbps is about 50kB/s. this is very good 3G speeds, however it is not HSDPA. HSDPA should run over 100kb/s at least.(http://www.whatmobile.net/assets/Wha...eBroadband.pdf (this document shows hsdpa on all networks downloading 8mb in about 1 minute. which is 136kB/s))

HowieG can you please provide the speeds you are acheiving with your web n walk plus account.

(so i go back to my first thoughts.... T-Mobile are misrepresenting their product/s under trade descriptions. they do not say that you do not get hsdpa with the normal web n walk.)

note: i am trying the speeds in a city and also in a tmobile shop where they have hsdpa as proved by a laptop dongle connected at 3.6mb/s.

Last edited by apatkinson; 05-05-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Ads

Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
i dont beleive this to be true, as i hooked up a non HSDPA phone and got the same speed as youa re saying(400kbps). this 400kbps is about 50kB/s. this is very good 3G speeds, however it is not HSDPA. HSDPA should run over 100kb/s at least.(http://www.whatmobile.net/assets/Wha...eBroadband.pdf (this document shows hsdpa on all networks downloading 8mb in about 1 minute. which is 136kB/s))

HowieG can you please provide the speeds you are acheiving with your web n walk plus account.

(so i go back to my first thoughts.... T-Mobile are misrepresenting their product/s under trade descriptions. they do not say that you do not get hsdpa with the normal web n walk.)

note: i am trying the speeds in a city and also in a tmobile shop where they have hsdpa as proved by a laptop dongle connected at 3.6mb/s.
OK, I tried my E51 natively (ie not tethered to my N810 or PC) using the http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed site and the 1Mb file size option.

I got three reports:
833 kbit/sec 1.209s latency
461 kbit/sec 1.163s latency
594 kbit/sec 1.072s latency

For comparison I also tried the same using my 4Mbit WLAN connection and got typically
1550 kbit/sec 0.223s latency.

So T-Mobile 3.5G is probably twice as fast as their 3G service but still not brilliant. THe main problem in reality is the latency more than anything else.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Hang on, max HSDPA is quoted in kilobits per second and I made the mistake of using the same in my post, sorry!
Read that as kilobytes and that's definitely HSDPA territory.
I have w'n'w basic.
The rate obtained will depend on many factors (time of day, number of users on the network, signal strength and quality etc) and this has been gone over in this forum a few times before.
There has been a debate on what's going on with T-mobile and the info that they provide on this and different users have reported different situations, but, I get HSDPA speeds.
Check out a search.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 PM

thanks, both.
even though HowieG says you need WnW+ and pa49 gets hsdpa speeds on basic WnW

HowieG do you get the 3.5g logo?

Last edited by apatkinson; 06-05-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:45 PM

just spoke to one of the most helpful people from t-mobile.

as of october the web n walk has changed and web n walk basic does not have HSDPA.

T-mobile continue to deceive people on their website by not explaining this point.

however if you had basic WnW before then, you may still have HSDPA if you got it at the time they enabled it on all customers handsets.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
thanks, both.
even though HowieG says you need WnW+ and pa49 gets hsdpa speeds on basic WnW

HowieG do you get the 3.5g logo?
Yes, certainly do. But only after I had upgraded to WnW plus.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM

sorted:
finally spoke to a supervisor at t-mobile

she described that the plans all used to have HSDPA and now since (few months ago?) they are now very strict about the plans.
The basic web n walk people with HSDPA were going over thier 1gb fair usage too easily.
so now, its only on the plus and max plans.

at some time people had to ask for HSDPA to be enabled on their account.
if you managed to get HSDPA on the basic plan you have it and wont be getting rid of it.

i am just unfortunate to have a new account.

Thanks to you both again.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM

Well, I have to admit you fellas are spot on.
I thought I had HSDPA speed as I have recently upgraded my original 12 months contract. I most certainly had the higher speed and now when I checked by using my other SIM (which is W'n'W Plus) I immediately got the 3.5G icon which I had never seen on the E51.
So complained to T-mobile and of course the CA rep gave me all sorts of nonsense like "that option has never been available and I can't add that on to what you have now"!
Demanded to speak to someone who could and after a minute wait the same rep came back and told me that they had spoken to someone who had access to historic records and they had confirmed that I did have the HSDPA service prior to the upgrade and so they would enable it within the hour!
Anyone who had HSDPA and has upgraded check your service now.
Thanks to all who brought his to light, but, it shouldn't really have happened in the first place.
Typical T-mobile?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:18 PM

no problem pa49,
glad you got it sorted.

i have emailed customer relations and they still are to get back to me.
so im almost at a resolution!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 PM

success story.

customer relations got back to me now.

as a 'goodwill' gesture i no wpay 27.50 per month for 60 credit flext and web n walk plus! for the life of my contract! woopie.

under the notion: their website and staff did not inform me properly on which plans do and do not have HSDPA.

smiles all round!