All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-02-2008, 09:31 AM

anthoj is on a distinguished road
E90 External Keypad Problem

Hey,

I've got an E90 with the latest firmware on it. Everything works perfect, and I love my phone. However, I have a problem when using my external keypad.

First, I would notice that my center button sometimes does not work at all in all applications, in order for me to select anything, I'd have to use the left soft key. Exiting out of the application will fix this usually. Why is this? Anyone come across this problem before?

The second problem I have is when I am inputting text using the external keypad. Basically, whenever I am typing on the external keypad, and I press the '#' to either turn on T9 Dict or to change between lower and upper case, my soft keys turn to "copy" and "paste". When this occurs, I cannot move my cursor without selecting text (as if 'Shift' key is held down). This also makes me unable to type quickly, because it won't let me move the cursor forward after typing a character (I have to wait until the cursor is blinking again in order to type another letter that is mapped on to the same key). Pressing the '#' key again makes the 'Copy' soft key disappear while the 'Paste' soft key remains on the right hand side. Pressing it the third time causes everything to return to normal (Option and Exit soft keys usually), but the directional keys can't be used at all since it will trigger selection again. Also, the '*' does won't work after pressing '#' the first time, so I wouldn't be able to change language, or insert symbols.

As you can tell, the 2nd problem is very very annoying. Imagine having to add contacts and sending SMS & etc this way (when '#' has been pressed, there's no way to navigate through the different fields in contacts editing). Then I'd usually have to exit (save the first field or part of the SMS) and then come back in and edit it, and repeat that every time I have to press the '#' key.

The other solution is to use the qwerty keyboard, which works perfect. But the problem is, sometimes I need to be able to type one handed, and I need it to be reliable enough so that I don't need to look at the screen to type and send a message (I'm a heavy SMS user).

So, anyway, if anyone knows how to fix this problem, or could at least give me suggestions, or point me in the right direction, please do share it with me. I'd really like to get this issue resolved.

Thanks in advance,

anthoj

Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 PM

The-CROW is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that you have a stuck key on your external keypad....

Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-CROW View Post
It seems to me that you have a stuck key on your external keypad....
That is correct, it seems so. I don't believe it is due to physical effects. I think this is software related, but I could be wrong. I guess I could try opening my E90 up. But am I the only one with this problem?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 AM

Biker_Bob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoj View Post
That is correct, it seems so. I don't believe it is due to physical effects. I think this is software related, but I could be wrong. I guess I could try opening my E90 up. But am I the only one with this problem?
No you're not. My E90 does the same thing - I posted about it a while back.
It's definately not a hardware problem. I haven't checked my version yet, but a firmware update might fix it. In the meantime you can cancel the copy/paste function by holding down the menu key to bring up the task manager, and then selecting the application you were already running. That returns you to where you were, with the copy/paste off. It's not perfect but I've been using this method for a couple of months and the copy/paste bug doesn't really bother me any more.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
No you're not. My E90 does the same thing - I posted about it a while back.
It's definately not a hardware problem. I haven't checked my version yet, but a firmware update might fix it. In the meantime you can cancel the copy/paste function by holding down the menu key to bring up the task manager, and then selecting the application you were already running. That returns you to where you were, with the copy/paste off. It's not perfect but I've been using this method for a couple of months and the copy/paste bug doesn't really bother me any more.
Oh thank you. That really helped. Makes it so much more convenient now. Yeah according to the software updater, I have the latest firmware. v 07.40.1.2 according to the *0000# info panel from my phone. Anyway, thanks again. You just made my day

Old 18-04-2008, 08:47 AM

I've just upgraded my firmware to the newly released March firmware 200.34.73 and I still have this "Sticky key" issue. I wonder if Nokia is even aware of this issue...

Old 23-05-2009, 10:00 AM

charly.be is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue with my N82 and still don't have a convenient solution...

When I tried to connect to a secured wifi I had to put my wep key each time witch is not normal. Then I tried to delete t9 dictionary (c:/predict/file.dat) and it worked for the wifi and sms (a day, in fact) then all went back to "normal" with the copy/paste problem...

Did you try to softreset (or hardreset) your phone ?
Ads

Old 24-05-2009, 06:00 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Do any of you have Garmin installed? I seem to recall that causing problems a while back with sticking keys.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:38 AM

jeremyjbent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoj View Post
Oh thank you. That really helped. Makes it so much more convenient now. Yeah according to the software updater, I have the latest firmware. v 07.40.1.2 according to the *0000# info panel from my phone. Anyway, thanks again. You just made my day
where can i find the fix to E90 keyboard, i had it previously but can find how to fix it

Old 30-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned

swagerr is on a distinguished road
When I locked the keyboard, release the button does not work, or is closed so there is no way to open more unless.Those that the use of Nokia is Eseries phones will not be disappointed because the new Nokia E90 Communicator is a strong link between the two groups.