All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old 17-06-2011, 07:19 AM

mazzer is on a distinguished road
Loud Hum in headset with new E7

I just purchased my first Nokia, and it's the E7. I finally got around to trying out the headset, something I plan to use on our flight to and from Italy this year. When I plugged them in (yes all the way), I hear some crackling, and then a loud continuous humming ensues.

In my experimentation, I noticed the if you put the plug in partway and hold it, an option comes up to use the headphone with mic vs the headset option. When I select the headphone option in this manner, the loud hum goes away and they work fine. If I plug them in with the headset profile active, the humming is constant.

I tried to effect this in the settings menu for headset and headphone but no luck. Only when I push the plug in partway and hold it, do I somehow cause this popup window to appear that does NOT appear if I just plug in the headset.

Anyone familiar with this lovely problem? Coming from high end Android devices that worked flawlessly in this regard, I am surprised a high end Nokia does not.

Thanks.