All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Sports Tracker / Polar WearLink with Bluetooth transmitter

Steve Litchfield dons his sports gear and trials the new Sports Tracker application with Polar wireless heart rate monitor. Can this new version of an old favourite, in conjunction with some Bluetooth accessory magic, help you improve your workouts, whether walking, cycling or jogging? (Short answer: Yes. With bells on!)

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 AM

John the Monkey is on a distinguished road
It's a great idea, but what it's missing for me is a good way to mount the phone to my bike stem or handlebars (i.e. a way that keeps the device visible, but protects it from the elements).

I'm tempted by this, as I already use Sports Tracker, but can't see how I could use the HRM effectively without some sort of visual feedback about which training zone I'm in &c.

(I'm also having a slighlty odd problem with new Sports Tracker where it doesn't record all the distance of my journey, but that seems to be a fairly rare problem).

Last edited by John the Monkey; 06-07-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Unregistered

GPS lock problem.

With the original app I used to have troubles with the GPS lock on my E71/E72. In the latest incarnations of the old app, GPS fix message seemed to have started to appear and I usually got a lock fairly quickly, issue forgotten.

I now have the issue with the new app. Previously I would just start the app without waiting for the lock, start biking hoping for the early lock. Now I finish my bike ride only to find the app has never started logging anything. VERY frustrating.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 AM

John the Monkey is on a distinguished road
Have you spoken to the Sports Tracker people?

I've sent them some information and tracks related to my problem with the new version (essentially, they got me to track the same workouts with the last Beta, and the current version, and send them the output).

They seem quite keen to investigate things like this, so do let them know.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 AM

megapack162 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With the original app I used to have troubles with the GPS lock on my E71/E72. In the latest incarnations of the old app, GPS fix message seemed to have started to appear and I usually got a lock fairly quickly, issue forgotten.

I now have the issue with the new app. Previously I would just start the app without waiting for the lock, start biking hoping for the early lock. Now I finish my bike ride only to find the app has never started logging anything. VERY frustrating.
You don't by any chance have the Wi-Fi/Network positioning method switched on do you? It is switched on by default after installing OVI Maps 3.04 and it was a right pain on my N86 - never got a lock without rebooting the phone first and wouldn't stop the GPS receiver without switching off all of the positioning methods or rebooting.

Since I switched off "Wi-Fi/Network" positioning, I get a lock within about 2-10 seconds every time and the GPS receiver shuts down straight after closing any location based apps.

I've never bothered with getting a Garmin or other similar devices as the old version of Sports Tracker gave me pretty much all of the features that they provide for the cost of a phone and I can use the phone if something goes wrong!

The new version of Sports Tracker is excellent, the maps are much better and they even show footpaths and shortcuts to the start of a local woodland race venue.

All I've got to do now is convince my wife to let me buy the heart rate monitor, pleeeeeeease?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Monkey View Post
Have you spoken to the Sports Tracker people?

I've sent them some information and tracks related to my problem with the new version (essentially, they got me to track the same workouts with the last Beta, and the current version, and send them the output).

They seem quite keen to investigate things like this, so do let them know.
Hi "John the Monkey",
I like the feature in the new version where it remembers your last choice about how often to record laps when you start each new track.
I noticed however that if you change from Imperial to Metric (the last race was a 5 miler and the next is a 10K) that the app crashes when you select "New Workout".

I've e-mailed them the details and hopefully they'll be able to include a fix in the next version that will be released when they switch on "upload to service" and hopefully also "live tracking".

Cheers,

Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

i've used sports tracker for a long time and really enjoyed it, although it can be inaccurate at times.

i've now bought a garmin gps watch for my running due to one simple fact; i can see straight away what my pace, distance or heart rate is by looking at my wrist! when training it's important to have those facts accessible. running with your phone in your hand isn't a good option, especially if you're getting sweaty so making your phone droppable.

STT would do well to also devise some kind of simple wrist holster, that not only holds your phone but allows access to the keys/touch screen too.while this may look bulky, it would fulfill the requirements of runners and walkers. having a holster on the arm misses the point, that's for holding a music player, where turning it on/off or adjusting the track/volume is needed.

i for one would go back to sports tracker if this was done. the mobile/ desk top interface is superior to garmin's dedicated system.

Aidan

Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's a great idea, but what it's missing for me is a good way to mount the phone to my bike stem or handlebars (i.e. a way that keeps the device visible, but protects it from the elements).

I'm tempted by this, as I already use Sports Tracker, but can't see how I could use the HRM effectively without some sort of visual feedback about which training zone I'm in &c.
Krussel do some fantastic cases, and they have handlebar mounts for their multidapt (?) range. I used one years back with my N73, the GPS dongle sat in the bag under the seat ..... although there's a limit to the weather protection you could have on a phone whilst keeping it usable.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Bodycount

2x bluetooth?

I own a N97.
And I have a bluetooth headset.
Is it possible to use the heart rate monitor and a headset (both bluetooth)?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
i've used sports tracker for a long time and really enjoyed it, although it can be inaccurate at times.

i've now bought a garmin gps watch for my running due to one simple fact; i can see straight away what my pace, distance or heart rate is by looking at my wrist! when training it's important to have those facts accessible. running with your phone in your hand isn't a good option, especially if you're getting sweaty so making your phone droppable.

STT would do well to also devise some kind of simple wrist holster, that not only holds your phone but allows access to the keys/touch screen too.while this may look bulky, it would fulfill the requirements of runners and walkers. having a holster on the arm misses the point, that's for holding a music player, where turning it on/off or adjusting the track/volume is needed.

i for one would go back to sports tracker if this was done. the mobile/ desk top interface is superior to garmin's dedicated system.

Aidan
Hi Aidan,

This is what I use to keep my open N95-1 / N86 dry whilst running, it has a fully transparent front which remains soft to the touch (even when wet or snowy) so button presses are as easy as holding it in your hand (touch screens should be the same), it's guaranteed to be watertight at depths of up to 15 feet deep and is bouyant.

I use it to train whether it's sunny, raining or snowing and do cross country that involves ponds, ditches or streams that can be up to 3 feet deep.
I found their website after drowning my N95-1 in muddy ditch water (it was strapped to my upper arm in an i-pod touch case and open to the elements).

Well worth the 30.

Cheers,

Alun.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:40 AM

argh is on a distinguished road
Is the new sports tracker compatible with any of the existing bluetooth heart rate monitors?

I already use a Zephyr HxM (measures heart-rate and cadence) that works with applications on the N900, WinMo and Android. It's also USB-chargeable via a cradle which is handy, although it's completely sealed so no user-replaceable battery.

Zephyr also have a very impressive device that does the above as well as measuring breathing rate and various other bits and pieces, but that was outside my budget / requirements.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You might want to try this:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...le-charger-kit

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM

ApuCalypso is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I have a similar problem. When I start the application on my way out (no chance in hell to get a gps lock in the stairwell) it won't even get a lock once I'm outside. However, after shutting down and restarting sports tracker it usually gets a lock after a couple of seconds, same goes for simply just starting it once I'm outside.
So my guess is that there is some kind of timeout problem where the app doesn't properly resume trying for a gps lock.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM

gazza_d is on a distinguished road
Quote:

(I'm also having a slighlty odd problem with new Sports Tracker where it doesn't record all the distance of my journey, but that seems to be a fairly rare problem).
For my Nokia 5230, I've bought a bicycle mounting holder of ebay for about 4, which is great. It is obviously a copy of the official Nokia holder, but is really well manufactured.

When the weather is a bit inclement, I'll drop a clear plastic bag over it with an elastic band, which is what I have done since the mid-eighties when I first used electronic bike computers.

I think sports tracker is great, and will be ordering a heart rate monitor soon. It is one of the main things which has kept me to symbian.
Ads

Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Hey where all the pics of Steve in spandex?!?!? Hmm... on second thought, perhaps not.