All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Nokia 5800 firmware updated to v40

Nokia have released a new firmware for the popular 5800 XpressMusic device. At least on the AAS unit, it's available via the Nokia Software Updater in the PC Suite package, but not yet as an over the air option. Additions to the smartphone's software include kinetic scrolling in menus and a reworked active standby screen to match that found on the 5530.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-01-2010, 05:11 PM

psiegumfeldt is on a distinguished road
Too good to be true

Finally what we have been waiting for!! I can't wait to get this.

Old 13-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Unregistered

!?!!

Is everyone having these issues?

- no full screen QWERTY
- no kinetic scrolling in the main menu

Come on Nokia, what is this!?

Old 13-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

Hooray - in 2-3 months

We've all been waiting a long time for some of those features, and most of us will have to wait even longer. As usual, the update isn't available for all the 5800s in the world at the same time. It's not available for Nordic models, and if they follow the standard set by the previous updates, it will not be able for another 2-3 months. Funny, I thought Nokia was a Nordic brand...

Old 13-01-2010, 05:27 PM
h_edged

Auto-switch landscape QWERTY is a really great functional feat I wait for most!
Have read somewhere the UI performance also became quite faster, while thinking what a benefit of a KS, still expect that the 5530's HS still able to show enough the to-do list I hope..

If somehow its camera performance got even better esp. in lowlight then 5800XM just a perfect mobile ever made! - get overexcited myself I guess.. :P

Old 13-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Brendan Donegan

Hmmm, nothing on my Vodafone branded one yet - It's an RM-356

Old 13-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

I know at the back of my mind that this firmware was coming, but just couldn't wait for it and trade up to N97. Now I am debating trading back to 5800. Funny I have been using the N97 with v20 firmware for months now and there is just something about the 5800 (price/performance) that makes me doubt the N97 purchase.

Old 13-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

Question Ian22

No over the air upgrade yet. First try with Ovi Suite failed (as it always does for me , but second try was successful!

Why there is no kinetic scrolling in the main menu and no widgets like on N97? Is there a way to see calendar/to-do items on 5530-like contacts theme?

I guess Nokia cripples the software on purpose to make people upgrade to N97. And I will upgrade soon, but to Nexus One or the new iPhone 2010

Old 13-01-2010, 06:26 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
well why in the world would you expect the 5800 to get homescreen widgets? does the 5530 have them? do any of the other express music phones have them? no of course not. only Nseries get the homescreen widgets. so your complaint is rather silly.

Old 13-01-2010, 06:29 PM

jpwbamber is on a distinguished road
I have a Nokia 5800 product code 0579934 Version: UK Blue bought from Nokia online store.

Latest update currently available is 21.0.025

When it receives an update will it be to 31 or 40 ?

Old 13-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
And the change-log is?

I can not understand Nokia or AAS.

If you publish it, please tell us the changes.

Old 13-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Ayush3090

the update includes -
*Kinetic scrolling (not in menu)
*New 5530/x6 like Homescreen
*new sw-update application
*Ovi contacts integrated
*"phone switch" located directly in settings
*if you rotate the phone horizontally, QWERTY keyboard automatically gets activated
*better stability

have a look at my video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1hDeVzw4JY
Ads

Old 13-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Unregistered

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
well why in the world would you expect the 5800 to get homescreen widgets? does the 5530 have them? do any of the other express music phones have them? no of course not. only Nseries get the homescreen widgets. so your complaint is rather silly.
And why should I not expect that? Why is it silly? I ALWAYS oppose artificial software limitations. N97 has exactly the same processor (very slow, let me add) as 5800.

In my opinion Symbian should be exactly the same on every device, with the same software and futures (like Windows 7 or iPhone OS), just using specific devices capabilities. Otherwise it is just confusing. One phone (N97/mini) is a small market, not worth for developers to develop for.

What is the reason, in your opinion, for keeping every device on different OS, with different features and included software ?

Old 13-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Ayush3090

Quote:
And why should I not expect that? Why is it silly? I ALWAYS oppose artificial software limitations. N97 has exactly the same processor (very slow, let me add) as 5800.

In my opinion Symbian should be exactly the same on every device, with the same software and futures (like Windows 7 or iPhone OS), just using specific devices capabilities. Otherwise it is just confusing. One phone (N97/mini) is a small market, not worth for developers to develop for.

What is the reason, in your opinion, for keeping every device on different OS, with different features and included software ?
probably coz nokia would like to keep some difference between its premium n-series and the rest

Old 13-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Unregistered

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush3090 View Post
probably coz nokia would like to keep some difference between its premium n-series and the rest
Probably. The question is, should they do that by crippling the software or making the high end hardware actually better? (processor, memory, hardware graphic accelerator etc)?