All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: Nokia E72 - part 1: the E71 upgrade, a Solid Smartphone

It's tempting to look at the Nokia E72 as just a variation on the popular E71, but looking at it in detail, there are a surprising number of detailed improvements. With only a couple of software gotchas, and despite its necessarily-small screen, the E72 looks to be one of the most desirable candybar smartphones for 2010. Here's part 1 of my Nokia E72 review.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 AM

joness9 is on a distinguished road
As a long term user of this form factor (I've owned an E61, E61i and E71 - and loved them all) the lack of "Podcasting" was a real deal breaker for me.

I've switched to an N97 Mini and, although a consumer phone, it's not too bad for business use.

Let's hope Nokia come out with a decent Symbian^3 big screen business phone.

SJ

Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Captain Jon is on a distinguished road
Great phone this one is. Couldn't care less about podcasting or whatever, so I am fine with it.

Last edited by slitchfield; 08-12-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: trimming

Old 08-12-2009, 09:52 AM
doncavali

Thumbs down E72 has nothing on N95 from back in the day and thats bad!

There are a few things with this phone that will not get me to upgrade from my E71:

- it lacks touchscreen. in a world where small companies like palm are able to come up with a combo of qwerty keyboard and touchscreen i would expect Nokia to deliver something even greater!
- since it lacks touchscreen, the whole user experience with the phone goes down the drain a bit.
- the qwerty keyboard is nice and prolly one of the best in its class, but the rest of the keys are a huuuuge piece of crap!!!! the call keys are flat, you have no feeling at all pressing them. they should be raised a bit in the middle.
- S60 UI needs an overhaul! even though the phone is new, it seems old! that's because the user experience lacks excitement, you could do much more with the screen real estate. the home screen needs live widgets like N97.
- needs more power.. why is there no snapdragon in this baby??? this phone would be great for gaming!! why does nokia think that only business people want qwerty phones? i bet if they paid more attention to their customers they would put more power into it and make those phones gaming phones and build more media capabilities into it.

Nokia needs to head back to the drawing board cuz they're lacking innovation as of late!

Compare the E72 with the N95 from a few years ago and there is almost no difference between them two!!!!! Were they sleeping for the past 3years?? DO THEY THINK WE'RE THAT STUPID TO CONTINUE TO BUY THEIR CRAP???

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

@DonCavili

You speak for yourself. I hate touch screens and I can't be arsed with kids games. I am glad that Nokia offer a variety of different options. And I don't use my phone for excitement. There's plenty of that to be had from the stuff that normal humans do. If you want a touch and qwerty combination, Nokia do phones like that, but they are not called E72. Try looking for phone companies that are not called Nokia and phones that are not called E72.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Captain Jon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Don Cavali

None touchscreen is fine by me.

S60 UI is fine for a none-touchscreen. I do admit that S60v5 needs an overhaul and that is what Symbian Foundation are working at for its next release.

Also Nokia do have touchscreen + QWERTY combo. This is for people who do not need or want touchscreen. Ever heard of the N900?

As for Snapdragon, not everyone phone needs a 1Ghz Cortex in it. If you actually used a E72, you will know it is fast. Way way faster than your E71. Stop spewing crap if you have not used it or do not know what you are talking about.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncavali View Post
Compare the E72 with the N95 from a few years ago and there is almost no difference between them two!!!!! Were they sleeping for the past 3years?? DO THEY THINK WE'RE THAT STUPID TO CONTINUE TO BUY THEIR CRAP???
. . .and while you are at it why not compare a hairdryer to a washing machine? Those hairdryers are just real rubbish at cleaning clothes aren't they!

As one of the target audience for the E72 I must say it does exactly what I need. Yes, like everything it can be improved but from your comments it is certainly not the phone you want. Have you thought of a washing machine?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:31 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Why does this phone have a Accelerometer? I dont see a reason why anyone would want to tilt this phone for viewing stuff in portrait mode?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 AM

nwhitfield is on a distinguished road
The accelerometer is used, amongst other things, for the 'flip to silence' on calls and alarms, which is a nice touch.

Speed-wise, it's a massive improvement, coming from my original N95 to the E72 (my own review is on RegHardware).

Nigel

Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 AM
gmv100

Podcast client

I'm not sure if it will work on the E72 (I haven't got mine yet) but the old Nokia podcast client can still be downloaded: http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...y-and-download

Old 08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
Why does this phone have a Accelerometer? I dont see a reason why anyone would want to tilt this phone for viewing stuff in portrait mode?

It used for flip to silence (alarms, incoming calls). But it is available for developer use (there's quite a few use cases - e.g. potentially with AR; also gaming).

Quote:
First glance may suggest nothing has changed... but really while you might say this about the UI (and even that's not true)... in terms of the real world functionality they are a long way apart. A lot of this is updated software, but also performance and a few extra on hardware (e.g. compass, optical pad).

Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 AM
doncavali

candy bar qwerty + touchscreen

When i say qwerty + touchscreen i mean candy bar qwerty + touchscreen combo like the pre/pixi from palm.

I am very well aware that nokia offers huge bricks like N900/N97 with a rather stupid layout of qwerty + touchscreen combo which i've tried and find it quite useless.

The most useful form factor i've come to like is a candy bar qwerty phone. The only reason i dont want a palm is because they are far behind, they have a nice concept but the execution is rather unfinished to compete at the top.

If you dont want the touchscreen then just dont touch it! But other like me and prolly 90% of the people would want the addition of touch and a more capable processor for gaming/media! Let's run a servey, I'll bet you i'm right!

The E72 is nice dont get me wrong but it's 2010 for christ sake, how can you come up with the same old tech every year for the past 3years?

Nokia will lose out i'm telling you if they stay on this track! That's why they have been losing ground and thats why their stock has been downgraded.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

Nokia e72

Hi,

I am an intensive user of E71 and now E72. The E72 is a worthy upgrade, for many reasons, in my case the following are important:

1) Significantly improved speeds in web browsing. Maybe due to improved HSPA downloads? Don't know, but difference is abysmal
2) Html email compatiblity
3) Better battery life and USB charging

Just one issue: There have been changes in ActiveSync code in Mail for Exchange. This means 100% MS Exchange compatibility as usual, but alternative mail servers like Kerio, may not work. This is a common issue for E52, 55, 72 and 75

Thanks Steve anc Co.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Kikuyumoja is on a distinguished road
Also own the E72 as of Thursday last week.

"...what's important here is rock solid telephony and rock solid messaging"

Yes, rock solid messaging would be appreciated - and not an e-mail client that keeps on hanging up and/or showing as if all settings were deleted (kept them, but showed no mailbox).

#RM-530
#021.024.203.04

The firmware still has some bugs - and given that the market launch was delayed more than once (+ no official communication from Nokia in the age of Cluetrain, Twitter & Co.), I wonder how they could ever think about becoming a software company. The hardware is great, but software-wise... *cough*...Ovi.com. Hello-hoo??? wtf?

I love my E72, regardless.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Unregistered

Okay, Steve, you can stop going on about Podcasting now, by now we all know you are upset about its omission.

I suspect it being left out of late has little to do with product differentiation. More like Nokia has realized it's an application that doesn't fit with their newfound focus on user experience.

Face it, Podcasting is broken. Messed up downloads, long periods of irresponsivity, sometimes the system even kills it as it's taking too long to quit or whatever.

Nokia doesn't have to develop an app for every conceivable purpose themselves. Far better to focus on the platform and the core apps, and make sure the design and reliability is unparalleled.

I'm sure third party developers will be happy to start working on those "missing" apps, provided the distribution channels are such that there's a fair chance of making decent money.