All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 27-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia N900 - Maemo 5 powered mobile computing

Nokia has announced the Nokia N900, a Maemo 5 powered device. Maemo 5 is the evolution of Nokia's previous generation of Internet Tablets and aims to occupying the space created by the convergence of mobile phones, laptops and the Internet. The N900 features a horizontal slider design with a three line QWERTY keyboard, a 3.5 inch WVGA (800 x 600) touch screen, ARM Cortex-A8 600 Mhz processor with 256 MB of RAM (and 768 MB of virtual memory), 5.0 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics, tri-band WCDMA and WiFi connectivity, integrated A-GPS, 3.5 mm AV connect (audio and TV-out), and 32 GB of flash storage and microSD card slot. The N900 will be available in select markets from October 2009 at a cost of €500 before taxes and subsidies. Read on for further details and comment.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 27-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Hello. May I know, does this device act as a normal GSM phone as well? Based on the specs, it has HSDPA and GSM. But the frequency bands seem strange. 9000/17000?

Old 27-08-2009, 11:32 AM

paker is on a distinguished road
So it begins!

Old 27-08-2009, 11:36 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
This looks great in the video, but I'm still waiting for Nokia to get the N97 I bought in June working properly, so I can't really see myself making the same mistake again.

Anyone who wants to pay 500 to Beta test the latest device from Nokia... they are taking on testers from October '09...

Old 27-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
So they've finally given it mobile comms?

... so is it just another phone now???

EDIT: So yes, it is... Nokia are basically now launching yet-another phone platform!

Last edited by stuclark; 27-08-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Old 27-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

Talking omg!

wow wow wow! im so happy that i didnt buy n97 c", now i going to have this phone in 2 months!

Old 27-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
1700 mhz 3G band is for T-Mobile USA, which offers a really massive hint as to which US network this is headed too.

Await the headlines. N900 is T-Mobile iPhone killer... joking aside this is the first Nokia product to really go toe to toe with the iPhone. They both site in roughly the same space... i.e. mobile computing device that happen to be phones (converged laptop / mobile phone) rather than mobile phones that are also a mobile computing device (N97). The distinction is subtle, but very real.

Old 27-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
500 euros sim-free? Jeepers creepers, that's flipping cheap... Why would anyone buy an N97 when they can get an N900 for 100 euros less?

Quote:
This looks great in the video, but I'm still waiting for Nokia to get the N97 I bought in June working properly, so I can't really see myself making the same mistake again.

Anyone who wants to pay €500 to Beta test the latest device from Nokia... they are taking on testers from October '09...
Celios, all devices from all manufacturers are at their worst at their release. It's inevitable that anything which is used by millions of people will have bugs that the testers didn't notice, simply because millions of people using something will always spot more problems than hundreds of workers testing something.

If you want devices to be absolutely perfect on the day they launch... you'll have a long wait.

Old 27-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
I like the look of the device. I am wondering whether there will be much software available for the Maemo 5 platform? Would be good with Comes with Music since plenty of space.

Old 27-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
At last, something new from Nokia that gets my attention!
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 27-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Pawlee is on a distinguished road
i really like the look theyve started takin nokia n series at the moment

obviously there was the n81 style which was around for ages, and now its movin out of that into the n86/n97 (sorta n79) styling

Old 27-08-2009, 12:04 PM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
the interaction with the UI as been took to a whole new level.
the dashboard is a great feature, pretty is what the ppl have been screaming for

Old 27-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Rafe I think you need to rename the site, this isn't Symbian, hopefully (unlike the N97) this will live up to the hype, if it does Symbian are going to have to do some work....

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 27-08-2009, 12:11 PM

@Tzer2, you crack me up!

I don't think anyone expects perfection. But really... out of memory errors, a web browser that crashes 1 time in every 5, missing copy and paste from most of the UI, crashes & lockups when trying to accept an incoming call, GPS accuracy that is on a par with just triangulating your position based on signal strength... I could go on.

The N900 looks interesting, and some people will understand the point of the N97 and N900 and their different approaches, but it will confuse the hell out of most consumers. Given Nokia's recent track record, I would expect it to be riddled with bugs and problems at launch, so I can recommend anyone interested in buying one waits for a few months and checks the forums for information about stability, etc. The reviews seem to miss many of the important shortcomings.

On the subject of reviews... will AAS be 'delaying' the review of the N900 if it also launches with sub-standard firmware?

Old 27-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post
Rafe I think you need to rename the site, this isn't Symbian, hopefully (unlike the N97) this will live up to the hype, if it does Symbian are going to have to do some work....
I'm sure allaboutmaemo.com will be registered

Of course, if Nokia were Apple they would offer a trade-in scheme for N97 owners... but since they are still learning, they won't!

Last edited by celios; 27-08-2009 at 12:21 PM.