All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia 6120 Classic reviewed - the smallest and lightest smartphone in the world!

Krisse has the scoop and the review on the Nokia 6120 Classic (and its 6121 stablemate) - the smallest and lightest smartphone in the world, and with the lowest S60 3rd Edition launch price so far. Is this amazing value for money, or cheap and nasty?

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Great review. I was particularly taken with the AEM measurement unit. Seems like a tasty way to compare sizes.

I remember when I first saw the 6120 I was surprised by the size. Its more impressive when you think back to what the typical smartphone size was even a few years ago.

Also interesting to hear about real world HSDPA usage - I've never actually used it myself (hopefully soon though).

Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
By the way, if anyone has any questions about the 6120, please post them here and I'll try to answer them!

HSDPA is a bit of a surprise because there's nothing to indicate it's available until you actually use it. The connection logo says 3G by default, but when you try to download from the internet it turns into a 3.5G logo. I was taken by surprise when it happened as I didn't even know HSDPA was available in this area. As I implied in the review, I suspect we'll get the most out of HSDPA when phone processors and RAM amounts have developed further, so that they can display pages as soon as they've downloaded.

Of course you can already do this if you connect your laptop to the internet via an HSDPA phone, in which case you get the enormous download speeds along with the PC's processing power. Some phone networks in Finland actually market their 3G/HSDPA services as an alternative to fixed line broadband, with similar prices and speeds.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Last edited by krisse; 03-07-2007 at 10:34 AM.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

look like the 6234

look like last year's 6234 but without video capture of 640x480.
And the usual series 40 apps; stopwatch, count down, speed, improved player and standby screen, ....
Nice to know S60 team are getting there with matching the size of other nokias and handsets on the market.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM

ChaosFire is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Sony Ericsson M600i: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8462/20; U; en))

This phone would blow everyone else out of the water if it had built-in wifi and integrated gps.
Great review though.
-Those who where scared to own a s60 phone ,because of size or what-not, can now safely come out of the closet.

Wondeful review..

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM

puterman is on a distinguished road
Compared with the E50

The size isn't all that different from the E50, which I got quite close to buying about a year ago. You don't hear much about the E50 though, I guess it might not have caught the fancy of people who are interested enough in phones to discuss them on the internet...

Old 03-07-2007, 12:10 PM
AndyK

Thank you for a great review.

I have a question:

I have read much about HSDPA and how it is impossible to make or (perhaps more importantly) receive a call during HSDPA data reception. In the Danish forum I frequent, there is a great deal of disagreement whether it is due to a fault in the HSDPA capable phones (I have only read N95 owners complain - though someone mentioned a HTC having the same problem) or due to a flaw in the specification of HSDPA, or maybe something entirely different.

I find it hard to believe that is a flaw in the HSDPA spec., but of course someone just might have slept during review of the standard - or maybe it was just not possible to design it differently.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator

"This phone would blow everyone else out of the water if it had built-in wifi and integrated gps."

That would be nice, but then the cost and size would go up quite a bit. You can't really win in the phone world, as soon as you improve one thing you ruin something else. :-)

"I have read much about HSDPA and how it is impossible to make or (perhaps more importantly) receive a call during HSDPA data reception."

I didn't notice any problems with the 6120, so any faults may just be with earlier HSDPA phones. I'll try to test this properly and get back to you though, watch this comments thread.

"The size isn't all that different from the E50"

The E50 is just a little bit bigger (70cc instead of the 6120's 66cc), but you're absolutely right, they're very similar indeed.

The E50 is a very unfairly ignored smartphone, it's nice and small and cheap. Its problem may have been that it was marketed as an Eseries business phone when it would have been more suited to a consumer audience.

"look like last year's 6234 "

The 6120 is actually a lot smaller, the 6234 is 81cc and weighs 20g more than the 6120.

Last edited by krisse; 03-07-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Great device... size matters

Old 03-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Unregistered

Smile

It all very well comparing the thickness to AEM's but I don't like dark chocolate and so never buy them and I am not sure of their size anyway.

It looks good, I am interested.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
I don't know much about nokia S60. (been using WM smartphones).

But I did have the use of the Nokia E65 for a week and I liked it.

Apart from the shape and weight does the Nokia 6120 Classic operate much the same as the Nokia E65 and are the screen sizes the same?

Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It all very well comparing the thickness to AEM's but I don't like dark chocolate and so never buy them and I am not sure of their size anyway.

It looks good, I am interested.

It seems there may be a flaw in the AEM unit.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

"Apart from the shape and weight does the Nokia 6120 Classic operate much the same as the Nokia E65 and are the screen sizes the same?"

The 6120 Classic is basically the same type of smartphone as the E65, although the 6120 Classic has an upgraded version of the user interface. E65 runs Symbian S60 3rd Edition while the 6120 Classic runs S60 3rd Edition FP1 (Feature Pack 1).

They can both run the same S60 3rd Edition third party software, but the 6120 Classic has some enhanced features in the interface such as support for user-created folders and sub-folders, active application indicators (a blue circle next to active applications' icons), 3D menu options, a horizontal mode on the web browser, a single settings menu etc.

The screen resolutions are the same, QVGA 240x320, but the E65's screen is physically a bit bigger than the 6120 Classic's. You can see Rafe's comparison photo here:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/media...6219605&page=1

"It all very well comparing the thickness to AEM's but I don't like dark chocolate"

You can get a milk chocolate version now:

http://www.sweetstall.com/acatalog/M...er-8-Mints.jpg

There's also an orange version, but that tastes horrible! :-)

Last edited by krisse; 03-07-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

e50

I've handled an e50 and it's very small, does it have 3G? Not as far as I could tell.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Right, after some testing with the 6120 Classic I have some answers about HSDPA!

"I have read much about HSDPA and how it is impossible to make or (perhaps more importantly) receive a call during HSDPA data reception."

The short answer is: it's not a problem. The 6120 can make and receive calls at all times.

The long answer is: if you make or receive a call during a 3.5G (HSDPA) connection, the phone automatically switches to 3G for the duration of the call, then switches back to 3.5G when you end the call.

In all cases, 3.5G is only active during downloads, you don't see the 3.5G logo when there's nothing to download.

"I've handled an e50 and it's very small, does it have 3G? Not as far as I could tell."

E50 doesn't have 3G, 6120 Classic does have 3G (and 3.5G too).