All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 27-07-2009, 04:16 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Can anyone figure out why this firmware jumped such a large increment, i.e. from v21 to v31, yet there are NO noticeable changes/improvements/features? what the heck have they done?! i'm all for stability, of course, but my v21 is pretty stable as it is, certainly not 10 version numbers of instability.

Old 27-07-2009, 04:41 PM

chilko is on a distinguished road
usually x1 updates brings the serious changes. remember v21?
so let's wait for v31
Ads

Old 27-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You'll probably find that there are a number of enablers for new software which may be issued in a subsequent firmware update or made available via SW update application.

It may also be further hardware optimisation which will improve performance and battery life, but aren't very obvious at first glance.

Old 27-07-2009, 05:10 PM
suju_k

Thumbs up firmware V31

Installed it, But dint take a backup as Steve mentioned. I lost all data , but got it back from my Ovi Cloud.

Email Notification for Nokia Messaging was the only feature I could see(after hard reset). I feel its become a little slower that V21.

V21 was rock solid, Until the official change logs arrive...I would say nothing demonstrable in V31.

But its always better to upgrade.

Suju.

Old 27-07-2009, 05:10 PM
vjcool231

Beer just updated to v30 via fota

no visible changes as of now ...
but after hard reset gettin free available ram of 78 mb now tat sonds gud ....

Old 27-07-2009, 05:55 PM

tallpol2000 is on a distinguished road
Sorry Nokia but that was your last chance. I waited and waited for this update in the the hope that it would really step the 5800 up a gear but guess what ?! another disappointment. After more years than I care to mention with Nokia I'm now resigned to watching a once great great company fall further and further behind the competition. Right now even a basic LG or Samsung looks good to me!

Old 27-07-2009, 06:33 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Rafe, now that's interesting.. my guess is that you would not say that if you would not know something more than the rest of us do, right?

[Hey, one can always try]

Old 27-07-2009, 08:35 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpol2000 View Post
Sorry Nokia but that was your last chance. I waited and waited for this update in the the hope that it would really step the 5800 up a gear but guess what ?! another disappointment. After more years than I care to mention with Nokia I'm now resigned to watching a once great great company fall further and further behind the competition. Right now even a basic LG or Samsung looks good to me!
Agree, like you my problems keep the same. Podcast application does not work, even after V30

Old 27-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

I've noticed just one tangible thing change v21 and it's the size of the icons in main menu if you're using small font in phone settings. They use to small and without text underneath them, which enabled 20 (i think) of them to be fitted onto one screen. They are back to regural size, as if you are using default font size.

Concerning homescreen email notification. Had none just after the update, so i tried *#7370* and had them after the reset, but when i restored my settings via ovi suite email notifications were gone. Disheartening.

Another thing; Nokia Messaging isn't working properly. When installed it starts up it's wizard but after entering information it only sets up an email account in the in-built email app. If you run it again, it just keeps piling them on and never goes beyond the wizard.

There are few more MB of RAM after boot and it looks to me as if the camera had received some tweaking as it looks to me as if there are less whiteness and white lines when shooting in low light conditions. Could be wrong.

Old 27-07-2009, 11:58 PM

emailzap is on a distinguished road
I agree with tallpol2000!

Hey Nokia! Wake up! Seems like after the N95 not much innovation has happened. I got the 5800 hoping it would change my mind about Nokia and Symbian but it is starting to look like I made the wrong choice. I'm still holding on for now but Apple, Android and Palm are starting to look really nice after using Nokia / Symbian for 10 years now. Nokia, please do something to change my mind!

Old 28-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
Rafe, now that's interesting.. my guess is that you would not say that if you would not know something more than the rest of us do, right?

[Hey, one can always try]
Its always worth trying...

Joking aside, I'm not going to claim any special exact knowledge. Future updates are, of course, never absolutes. However there should be some more 5800 updates to come (though not necessarily the stuff people want / expect).

Old 28-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Unregistered

firmware update in Phils.

anyone from the philippines was able to successfully update this firmware? tried OTA but no updates found. haven't tried via NSU but i'm not hopeful... can you tell me when this update will become available here in manila?

Old 28-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

Web Link

Well tried it over the air via WiFi... Everything is just fine & working properly. But no new additions very disappointing.

Old 28-07-2009, 11:23 AM

widehead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
anyone from the philippines was able to successfully update this firmware? tried OTA but no updates found. haven't tried via NSU but i'm not hopeful... can you tell me when this update will become available here in manila?
Yeps. No problem in Manila. OTA 24 hours ago.

Old 28-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Oh stop whining!

This is a v30 release, not the v31 which we know Nokia are already working on and which was rumoured to be released in late summer.

Have any of you considered that this is just a quick update to set up the platform for further enhancements?