All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Unregistered

Since I have Windows Vista and a N95-3 I really think that I will not need NSU in a short time...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 AM

argh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you don't like Vista, then use a Linux variant and see how well Nokia Software Update works then... I am not a MS Fanboy - but give it a rest!
I actually help maintain (update between kernel versions) a Linux driver and am currently in the process of writing another from scratch - Linux regularly makes drivers incompatible even with sub-versions of the OS. Fortunately the open-source nature of the majority of the drivers usually means they get fixed quickly.

This is just for reference for people who seem to think that I might be a Microsoft employee - believe it or not, I just do research before jumping on the Micro$ux bandwagon and have above average knowledge of OS kernel functionality.

And for anyone wondering about the HTTP proxy (which I didn't write), it wasn't my original idea - I saw it posted here.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Sod Vista

I'd prefer they put their effort into something cross-platform - ie that would work on all OSes, including my preferred Ubuntu/ppc+amd64.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

Talking No problem

As someone mentioned before me...if you run NSU in compatibility mode then you will have no issues it updates the phone as normal...

Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation NSU and Vista

Hey Everyone!! Anyone who has Vista and tries to run the NSU in compatibility mode for xp, DON'T!!!

I tried that on my N-82,and at the end of the Update process download (yes, it ran perfectly till then), Windows Vista throws up an error that Nokia Host Layer Services has stopped working.
It then froze NSU in mid update, and my phone went blank...i disconnected it and it wouldn't start up...so i removed the battery,put it back in, and rebooted the phone..it worked that time..now its perfect, except its on the old firmware...working fine..

If you try this compatibility stunt, u run the risk of bricking your phone. As for me, I'll wait till a working NSU for vista comes...and I'll visit here for a few comments before I do something stupid again...

Old 19-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Unregistered

NSU Vista problems

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that NSU seems to be working with Vista again now - I've just managed to upgrade my firmware from v13 to the newest v21. I wasn't able to all weekend because of the Vista incompatibility issues but all seems to be ok now.

Now all I have to do is try and work out how to use the phone again - everything seems fine except I've lost the clock and icons on the main screen. Any ideas?!?!

Emma x

Old 27-05-2008, 05:20 PM
knyckrozh

Unhappy nokia software updater for vista

Can anyone tell me when will the NSU for windows vista be available please?
Ads

Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation N95 Vista Compatability Mode a No No!!

Got a N95 8gb on v15. Dont bother running NSU in XP compatability mode, yes it will find v20 to update and yes it will download fine but as soon as the actual update of the phone starts the phone will go to a white screen and windows will give you a nokia host layer services error message and the update will freeze. I thought I had a brick at that point but removing all the cables and taking the battery out seemed to rectify the freeze, phew!!! Still on v15 though. Come on nokia sort this out!!!!

Old 15-06-2008, 10:28 PM

northmale is on a distinguished road
You can run NSU on Vista in XP2 compatibility mode. It will update and download the latest versions of all software and then do the 15 minutes waiting white screen of death.

BUT IT WILL STILL WORK

Here's how I did it and you can to, thanks to various sources from the web cobbled together.

Once you've hit the white screen of death, use the task manager (ctrl, alt, del) to stop NSU but leave the phone USB connection in place. Restart NSU as administrator again
After a while it will tell you to disconnect the phone or remove battery, leave it connected. Click retry after it works out you were in the middle of an update, NSU will complete the update. Time remaining will stay on 15 minutes for about 5, then go to 8 & 7 quickly, then 5, 3 and then complete.

If ordinary folk on the web can produce this work around why can't MS and Nokia pull their fingers out and get it fixed?

Old 24-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

dont worry

it is easy guys
just go to the app nsu_ui_client.exe and set it compatibile with windows xp
then it will work fine
keep your cellphones up to date

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Unregistered

vista sux!

i for one am victim for this stupid vista crappy incompatible issue when i bought my new laptop.It comes with pre-install vista & I requested for xp but retailer said all the new pc/laptop are in vista os.it's a shame how microsoft force dell,hp etc to install vista as default os. They should let us consumer choose which os to install.Yeah,i can downgrade or shud i say "upgrade" to XP but I'm using a tablet notebook,some of the drivers & features are design to run under vista & i will lose it if i upgrade to xp....but then again........ sigh...
and now, i cant run nsu to upgrade my n95-8gb v20 fw. to those who like vista,u either juz a noob who doesnt know shit about computer + programing or u are juz an ignorant imbecile.
power user will agree with me tat vista is really underpower,underperform, backward technology....

long live XP

Old 09-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Nelagster is on a distinguished road
Cool Vista support now available!!

updated: NSU now supports vista!!! just got the email from nokia...

now just gotta make sure it actually works...

Old 20-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Unregistered

oh that has to be one of the most stupid comments I have seen.

"Yeah,i can downgrade or shud i say "upgrade" to XP but I'm using a tablet notebook,some of the drivers & features are design to run under vista & i will lose it if i upgrade to xp."

If Vista is so crap but gives you features that XP doesn't how is XP better.

So the new Nokia software - does it work or not?