All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 PM

lark is on a distinguished road
Have to say that the iPhone is certainly riling AAS. This MP3 phone vs. iPod thread has been going on for a dogs age but it was never really discussed in these forums. Now suddenly it is front page news. The "fated"super success of th iPhone is bothering phone brand devotees (I say fated because until it launches it is vapor-ware and I have never heard of a demonstrator phone with so many applications missing launching on time).

In the end the iPhone doesn't matter in the medium term to mobile industry. The iPhone will be a rampant success in the US. Nokia N-series and SE Walkman just do not have the brand presence to compete and Motorola's efforts have been lackluster recently. MS Mobile phones are considered business centric devices.

By the time it hits Europe it will already be 3-5 generations behind in features and it will cost too much - comparing the spec the iPhone should have launched last year. There will be a few chavs and Apple fanatics who will buy it but it will be old hat.

The question is what will the 2nd edition iPhone look like and whether there will be CDMA version. Apple will have to compete on features for each future generation rather than industrial design and it is notoriously poor at doing this. Look at the changes in each successive Mac or iPod generation. In most cases it has been re-packaging.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:57 PM

marcol is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
Apple will have to compete on features for each future generation rather than industrial design and it is notoriously poor at doing this. Look at the changes in each successive Mac or iPod generation. In most cases it has been re-packaging.
I'd argue that intel Macs (i.e. all the current ones) are pretty well specified, but agree that iPods are less feature-rich than many competitors (no FM radio, Wifi etc). The irony of that, of course, is that Macs have a small fraction of their market while iPods are much the best-selling digital audio players. This probably hints at Apple's philosophy with the iPhone. iPods don't have the most features but they do give most users what they want most of the time and the quality of the experience (from ripping CDs and buying music to syncing and using the device) is really very high. I think Apple aim to do the same thing with the iPhone: a smaller number of well-executed functions rather than many that aren't done so well. I don't know if the iPhone(s) will deliver, but I'm pretty sure that's what's they're aiming at. Apple have more-or-less said as much: Jobs consistently emphasised the quality of the experience and the 'desktop quality' of the apps during his keynote.

On the other hand, no 3G in Phones for Europe really would be crazy. It's not like most providers have an EDGE network for the iPhone to fall back on (unlike Cingular in the US).

Old 12-04-2007, 07:40 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Apple aim to do the same thing with the iPhone: a smaller number of well-executed functions rather than many that aren't done so well. I don't know if the iPhone(s) will deliver, but I'm pretty sure that's what's they're aiming at.
You're probably right, which makes the decision to run the iPhone on OSX all the more mystifying....

Old 13-04-2007, 08:45 PM

marcol is on a distinguished road
"You're probably right, which makes the decision to run the iPhone on OSX all the more mystifying...."

Perhaps that's what it takes to have that really cool UI?
Ads

Old 14-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Macboy

Well the iPhone will contain the full-fledged iPod software and more, gapless playback(!), smart folders, cover flow, iTunes integration etc. Nokia's Music Player is a turd compared to this.

Old 16-04-2007, 07:46 PM

lark is on a distinguished road
Macboy, his divinity Steve Jobs would slap you with a wet mackerel for being an Apple fan-boy that just reeled off 4 techy things that the average punter has absolutely no idea about (except iTunes integration).

The thing everyone forgets is that AAS forum participants and most of the Apple forum participants/fanboys are NOT THE MARKET. We are too techno-savvy and make up 1-5% of the market. The brilliance of the ipod is that it made MP3 easy enough for the other 95%.

So it doesn't matter if the phone music player is crap. It just has to play music and be cheap.

I see a lot of iPods in London. The problem is that they are generally held by professionals in their late 20's to early 30's. A nice demographic to be sure. But I see a LOT more phones (dumb phones and smart phones) pumping out music in the hands of teenagers (unfortunately obnoxiously over the speakerphone at the back of the bus).

That's why the iPhone doesn't matter long term unless the next generation is cheap and good; the current one is already dead. No kid under the age of 17 is going to buy an iPhone unless their dad is a investment banker or just for the bragging factor. Kids prefer T9 to QWERTY, want big megapixel cameras to vid their friends and will get pissed off the first time they look at the touch screen in sunlight and can't make a call (look at LG Prada reviews) and finally they don't give a toss about WiFi. I am generalizing but that is the demographic.

OTOH you have to remember that Apple is a US centric company. And the US is generally about 2-4 years behind the ROW in mobile phone usage habits so the iPhone works in that market. Anything they sell in Europe is just cream. They will be fine if iPhone flops in Europe this generation.