All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-08-2003, 09:20 AM

ST@RR is on a distinguished road
Insert Number on SMS

Hi... I tried searching but I cannot find the answer to my question. Sorry moderators... please bear with me... ops:

I just wanna ask if you can insert number or insert name in your SMS message? Like in the lower versions of nokia phones? Coz sometimes when a friend asks for somebody's number in text and I forgot the number of the person she's asking, I have to exit to messages and go to Contacts, write down the number on a paper... then go back to SMS and type the number. It's quite tiring... Can somebody please help me? Coz I might have missed a function that does this... or maybe this function is really not available... help would gladly be appreciated...

Old 09-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
That's what copy/paste is for.

In 'Contacts' - just press the contact you want - 'Edit' - 'Copy contact'.

And then when you're in the message, just press 'Edit' - 'Paste'.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 09-08-2003, 03:54 PM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
Actually the intended way is the following....

Create a new SMS draft...

1. Next to the "TO:" field there's an icon for "contacts"....tap that.
2. It will bring a list of your contacts along with a checkbox next to them.
3. Find the contact you want and check the box.
4. It will bring up options for #s to choose.
5. Once you select a # choose "Done" and exit out you will automatically be routed back to the SMS draft.

I believe this is the way SE intended for users to insert #s because it would actually allow you to send an SMS to a group of contacts faster. The copy paste is tedious and you may lose your SMS draft in the case you want to choose multiple contacts. Especially if you're not using something like Tracker which allows you to switch back to an open program.

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Old 09-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that's another way of doing it, but then you have to retype the number in the message body, or highlight and copy it - this to me is more tedious..

I've found the copy/paste thing to be more useful because that way you get all the information about the contact copied and not just the number.

I think the contact icon in the message is intended just for adding recipients - be that single or multible.

*Edit*, I think you may have misunderstood ST@RR's question, Bigfeat..
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 09-08-2003, 06:49 PM

stefan0290 is on a distinguished road
contacts

Maybe it is easier to go to contacts, choose the contact you want and then select "send as". Choose sms and you will be moved to the sms-application.
The whole contact will be transferred and the reciptient will be able to import the contact directly in his/hers addressbook (if his phone supports this feature).

Stefan
Ads

Old 09-08-2003, 07:56 PM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Yes, that's another way of doing it, but then you have to retype the number in the message body, or highlight and copy it - this to me is more tedious..

I've found the copy/paste thing to be more useful because that way you get all the information about the contact copied and not just the number.

I think the contact icon in the message is intended just for adding recipients - be that single or multible.

*Edit*, I think you may have misunderstood ST@RR's question, Bigfeat..
I think I did misunderstand.. Long nite..

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Old 10-08-2003, 01:46 AM

ST@RR is on a distinguished road
Ok... thanks Raven... Will try doing that...

Quote:
Maybe it is easier to go to contacts, choose the contact you want and then select "send as". Choose sms and you will be moved to the sms-application.
The whole contact will be transferred and the reciptient will be able to import the contact directly in his/hers addressbook (if his phone supports this feature).
This is useful only IF you have in your Contacts the number of whom you will send the business card... since you will be creating a new message and you have to add recepient. Sometimes, if the person is not saved in your Contacts (coz maybe he's using a different number temporarily), you just want to "reply" in order not to forget the number. Am i making sense? hahaha! hope you understood what I mean...

@bigfeat: it's ok... no problem! Thanks for your reply!

Old 11-08-2003, 12:52 AM

bigdaddychris is on a distinguished road
what i do is i compose sms, go to my contacts, highlight the number i want to copy using the keyboard (this is much faster), select copy, then go back to my drafts, tap edit then paste. its reallya long process which makes my finger involve in some cellphone exercise or better yet just send the contact thru IR or bluetooth. :robot:
its tiring to insert numbers using SE phones.

Old 11-08-2003, 05:50 AM

chadsotelo is on a distinguished road
Er, why not to your contacts, highlight the number with your stylus, edit > copy, go to SMS, edit > paste.

Old 11-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsotelo
Er, why not to your contacts, highlight the number with your stylus, edit > copy, go to SMS, edit > paste.
Tip: It might be a good idea to read the other replies before posting.