All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-07-2006, 07:03 PM
7610 Moderator

Vicky is on a distinguished road
When we can expect a New Nokia Communicator ?

When we can expect a New Nokia Communicator ?
Its Been 2 years to Nokia 9500

Old 14-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Probably at NMC this year, although there is a possibility it could be sooner. It will be a bit of a departure from the old Communicator line though.

Old 14-07-2006, 09:58 PM

Jowls is on a distinguished road
Phone Handset

I think that Nokia consider the "new" communicator the 9300i, which fits well in their business line-up with the E60, E61 and E70. While I doubt that the 9500 will be discontinued anytime soon, I do not think that Nokia will make more phones of the same size in the near future. Phones like the 9500 are expensive to develop and manufacture and will never be a mass market item - thus it takes longer for Nokia to make a profit on them. So I do not hold my breath waiting for a 9600.

Another reason why I dont see an updated version comming soon is that Nokia really did their homework with the 9500. Sure it would be nice if it was a quad-band with WCDMA like the E61, sure it would be great with a 2M pixel camera that was actually usefull for other things than contact photos and sure it would enhance the browsing experience with a touch screen. But as it is, I'd say that the 9500 is pretty close to being the perfect hardware design. It will suffice most users several years into the future.

Imho most of the 9500s short commings has to do with the software - primitive E-mail client, no push-mail support out of the box, no VoIP support out of the box, office applications with poor compatibility to established file formats, slooow browser, poor security (no data encryption and no remote administration apart from the "killer-SMS" feature), no voice activated dial. These are all issues that can be fixed through software updates, and that is what I suspect will be comming before any updated hardware.

Old 29-10-2006, 12:08 PM
7610 Moderator

Vicky is on a distinguished road
More then Two Years Passed No New Communicator????
I am waiting for something new.
Nokia is now slow in introducing new Range.

Old 29-10-2006, 01:35 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
On mysymbian site have a thread about 9800 and also a photo of that "new" communicator - seems like Psion 5Mx. If is true or fake, nobody nows. But are also a date of release, 27-11, on a exposition. Maybe could be true...

Old 29-10-2006, 02:02 PM

steve36 is on a distinguished road
Vicky,
Nokia communicators have historically lasted longer than normal phones, possibly due to intial development costs. Normally I would have thought that minor changes would be all that could be expected at this stage, similar to 9300i, but I'm probably wrong this time!

There are quite a few people with strong information that a press release will be made late November just before the Nokia expo. Based upon the 9500 painful transition from press release to available I would not expect a new available product until 2007 Q3.

What ever comes out I hope some 3rd party software appears for it soon after launch, the Sony Ericsson P990 & M600i still have virtually nothing months after release.

Old 26-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
I have to admit to having been scanning Nokia's site for a few months now in the hope of an announcement to the 9500. While I must admit it's been much better than my 9210s the hinge is now rather floppy (which is annoying when I'm laying in bed reading an ebook) and the casing is showing it's fair share of battle scars.

TBH I'd just like the 3G option really as I feel that it's still the only limitation on the 9500, the option for faster data transfer would be nice.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.
Ads

Old 24-12-2006, 12:06 PM

pcourtney is on a distinguished road
Symbian rumour - dropping Series 80

Nobody really seems to know about the future of Series 80, but I brought this subject up with a number of senior people at the Smartphone Show in London back in October, and although it was not confirmed by anyone, a new communicator based on S60 was not denied :-)

http://www.symbiansmartphoneshow.com/2006

So I guess we could have a new Nokia Communicator next year, that hopefully will be the best of both worlds, and will have lots of software to support it from the S60 back catalogue.