All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 30-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
"I have used phones with both capacitive and resistive screens and honestly I prefer the accuracy of resistive to the sensitivity of capacitive. Resistive just allows me to use drawing applications (which frankly requires a stylus if you want anything other than what will look like a doodle by a 3 year old)."

Are you kidding me? Do yourself a favour and google "Brushes for iPhone" and then tell me capacitive screens can only produce drawings of a 3 year old...
An iPhone is not a drawing tool, I would suggest that holds for any phone. If you are thinking of creating an illustration, drawing or work of art, a phone is not going to be the first choice medium.

However, the argument against the capacitive screen is not ludicrous. Resistive are far more robust are not limited to only a penis or fingertip. The sensitivity gap is closing too. Unless a new technology comes along (not unlikely) resistive will completely displace capacitive within three years.

Old 30-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

"Resistive are far more robust are not limited to only a penis or fingertip."

I can imagine iFanboy rubbing his against a picture of Steve Jobs on his iPhone.

Old 30-03-2010, 02:40 PM
iFanboy

"while the discussion against capacitive screens is pretty ludicrous, the need of being able to use a stylus on a touchscreen when needed is probably still valid for many reasons, especially for small touchscreens. I like capacitive for it's finger friendliness, but I like to still be able to use a stylus once in a while when I need to. Why is that so hard?!"

Um, you do know you can get Styli for Capacitive phones, right?

"An iPhone is not a drawing tool, I would suggest that holds for any phone. If you are thinking of creating an illustration, drawing or work of art, a phone is not going to be the first choice medium.

However, the argument against the capacitive screen is not ludicrous. Resistive are far more robust are not limited to only a penis or fingertip. The sensitivity gap is closing too. Unless a new technology comes along (not unlikely) resistive will completely displace capacitive within three years."

So, the fact that numerous magazines have used art CREATED from the iPhone as their front picture?? Hell even The Times magazine has used cover art created by someone using Brushes on the iPhone! So how can a "phone" not be first choice? Maybe you mean "Underpowered, buggy, slow, old hardware S60 phone"? On nice one on the penis comment, running out of comebacks? Lol app I use is proof and facts and you people come back with this rubbish?

""Resistive are far more robust are not limited to only a penis or fingertip."

I can imagine iFanboy rubbing his against a picture of Steve Jobs on his iPhone."

Heh, I figured my username would create some controversy, you do understand that word right? Nice insult too, think that one up all by yourself? Awww

Old 31-03-2010, 02:47 AM

dlff is on a distinguished road
Still not available in my country as of now but saw a dummy Vivaz on display. Looks kind of compact compare to the Satio & I like it.
As I understand the package comes with a screen protector as well.
Is that true?
Thank you.

Old 31-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Unregistered

protection for the screen

It has a screen protector. In fact it has 3, one on the phone and 2 in the box. I bough mine from a german online store but I guess the content of the box is standard.

Liviu
Ads

Old 31-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
"
"An iPhone is not a drawing tool, I would suggest that holds for any phone. If you are thinking of creating an illustration, drawing or work of art, a phone is not going to be the first choice medium.

So, the fact that numerous magazines have used art CREATED from the iPhone as their front picture?? Hell even The Times magazine has used cover art created by someone using Brushes on the iPhone! So how can a "phone" not be first choice? Maybe you mean "Underpowered, buggy, slow, old hardware S60 phone"? On nice one on the penis comment, running out of comebacks? Lol app I use is proof and facts and you people come back with this rubbish?

I wrote "that holds for any phone" and "a phone is not going to be first choice"

I didn't write "iPhone is not going to be first choice".

If you were an illustrator, would you choose a phone or a desktop Mac as your first choice tool?

As for the penis comment, it seems very appropriate now you have rabidly jumped in with both feet in such a defensive way, without reading properly first.

I can see what your first choice tool is going to be

Old 31-03-2010, 11:23 AM
iFanboy

"I wrote "that holds for any phone" and "a phone is not going to be first choice"

I didn't write "iPhone is not going to be first choice"."

Eh? But the iPhone is a "phone"? So where you said "that holds for any phone" I was right, as the iPhone IS the choice for some artists as they can carry a portable canvass around with them everywhere and design powerful images from it. My argument still stands then, capacitive screens are better than resitive, one reason being content creation - I haven't seen any uses from a resistive screen being better than a capacitive, which I have seen the other way around, resort to petty insults all you like - it just shows how desparate you are

"If you were an illustrator, would you choose a phone or a desktop Mac as your first choice tool?"

Depends on your needs tbh, if I were away from the office/studio a lot then yes I'd choose the iPhone (or iPad) as it gives me the tools necessary for content creation

"As for the penis comment, it seems very appropriate now you have rabidly jumped in with both feet in such a defensive way, without reading properly first."

Yeah, insults are always necassery, huh? *Rolls eyes*

Old 31-03-2010, 07:26 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Some prefer resistive screens some capacitive, now lets get over it.

This is probably the best video I have seen shot with the vivaz to date

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F12TMuN5yNo

Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

Task manager

"Basing everything on the web is simpler than Nokia's system of using a Web runtime widget, but it has its own issues. Not least navigation. Open up PlayNow and browse around a little. You're offered 'Close' on the right soft key and so you use it. You'd think that this closed down the browser window. Not so. It's still open in the background but you have to be a Web-savvy geek to find your way back to it via the 'Internet' browser's sub-menu. Instead, next time you tap on PlayNow, you get another instance of Web. And then another (see the 'window count' at the top of the photo below). And then another, until you've hit the internal limit within Web and everything starts to fall down around you. Confusing for the unwary and extremely inelegant."

That is somewhat unfortunate, but this should help:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/supp...az?cc=gb&lc=en
Choose scenario > Applications and PC software > Task manager

Good and balanced review. Looks like I need to check Vivaz IRL.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Steve,

I don't know if you are still following this thread but if you are can you tell me if the Vivaz has Nokia' Sync application built in? I would like to get a Vivaz but I absolutely must have a syncml client to sync pim data with my work servers.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Hi guys,
Took delivery of my Vivaz (Cosmic Black) this afternoon to replace my Satio. What can I say??
I listened to Steve's advice when I asked him if is worthwhile to change to a Vivaz.
The form factor alone is enough to convince me to change.
UI is more responsive than the Satio (with two SW upgrades) though there is still room for improvement.
In a nutshell: no regrets what so ever.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

No Google Maps, You Tube etc

Just received my Vivaz but it doesn't appear to come with Google Maps or You Tube. Also, I have Yahoo on my quick bar. How can I change this?

Many thanks

Old 09-04-2010, 05:02 PM

I have been using my Vivaz for 5 days now. So far so good.
Is a much better phone than the Satio in every way. Small form factor, lightweight, decent battery life & quite responsive UI.
I do not like the shiny plasticky finish on the phone as it scratches easily. Feeble loudspeaker even at max volume. Could have a dedicated lock key button rather than sharing it with the ON/OFF button located at the top of the phone.
In a nut shell, it is cheaper than a Satio & yet is a much better phone.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Removed Post, sorry

Last edited by Dazzy; 14-04-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Old 20-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Which is the best 8mp camera?

Hi guys,

I concern the still camera performance in low light environment. I wonder if the best is Nokia N82 (although it is 5mp), N86 the second, and followed by SE Vivaz?

Any suggestions?

As to the video recording, it is quite sure that SE Vivaz is the best ... until the upcoming Samsung Wave, which should be very competitive with SE Vivaz? Agreed?

Alex