All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Sony Ericsson Vivaz - part 2 (camera and camcorder)

In the second part of his review of the Sony Ericsson Vivaz (here's part 1), I look at the Vivaz's unique selling point, its much-vaunted camera and camcorder capability. Just how good is it in practice (compared to previous champion devices like the Nokia N86 and Samsung i8510) and is there anything else you should know about the Vivaz's camera arrangements? Included are numerous samples and a montage of demonstration video footage highlighting the continuous autofocus.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

I wouldn't be too hung up about the flash, even on a real camera the flash can only do so much, nothing much to be gained on a phone cam.

Even so, I would be interested to see how it performs with redeye and also with blink reflexes - the natural place for a phone camera in low light is people pulling gurn faces at parties.

Old 17-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Dr Tran is on a distinguished road
I think a good comparison would be the Vivaz vs a pocket video camera such as the one from Flip

Old 17-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Unregistered

Zain

Wow thats great
Steve, will you use it to shoot your "phones show" ??
I'm curious
Please give it a try

Old 17-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Steve, I completely disagree with your comments in the comparison with the N86.

The difference is not down to the sensor but the settings. The N86 image is shot as ISO 428, and the Vivaz at ISO 800, so the Vivaz image will naturally be better exposed.

That leaves you at the mercy of the noise reduction software, which as far as I can see from the other low light shots, removes all trace of detail from the images.

Old 17-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator

But the user only has very hidden, crude access to ISO settings. I think that's a red herring. I was testing the devices as 99.9% of users will use them. Not as a camera geek, determined to delve into the darkest corners of settings for each and every 'pro' photo....
[oh darn it, I replied to an 'Unregistered' comment again. dang]

Old 17-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Uninterested

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
But the user only has very hidden, crude access to ISO settings. I think that's a red herring. I was testing the devices as 99.9% of users will use them. Not as a camera geek, determined to delve into the darkest corners of settings for each and every 'pro' photo....
[oh darn it, I replied to an 'Unregistered' comment again. dang]
But the unregistered comment made a valid and useful point, and exposed a fact that really should have been in the article. ISO settings are fairly basic stuff, in the days of film they were printed all over the roll.

Old 17-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Administrator

"ISO settings are fairly basic stuff, in the days of film they were printed all over the roll."

And in 2010, they're utterly buried so that you wouldn't know adjustments were possible.

Old 17-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

The Satio has touch to focus. This is not a first, nor an exclusive to the Vivaz.

Old 17-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
"ISO settings are fairly basic stuff, in the days of film they were printed all over the roll."

And in 2010, they're utterly buried so that you wouldn't know adjustments were possible.
Not on my FujiFilm J30 12.2MP digital camera bought from Amazon for 69.99 last month they're not. Third item down on the first menu you get when you press the menu button. Goes from 100 to 3200. Basic common all garden consumer point and shoot snapper.

it's really not rocket science.

Old 17-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Administrator

You know perfectly well I'm talking about camera phones here, not dedicated cameras. And, while you're here, take a moment to... you know.... LOG IN. Please.

Old 17-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You know perfectly well I'm talking about camera phones here, not dedicated cameras. And, while you're here, take a moment to... you know.... LOG IN. Please.
i think there's some baiting going on here, which isn't fair.

i've just looked on my N82 and you can't get the ISO number, just high medium and low. so steve is right. digital cameras are different because they're set up to allow users to tinker.

steve, i'm enjoying the review, looking forward to review of the software/ ui of the vivaz. temporarily had a satio which was hard work as stuff was missing or didn't work properly. i think a good reliable software feature set is the clincher, as that's what you're using everyday.

aidan

Old 17-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Resetoriginal is on a distinguished road
n86 vs the vivaz

hey steve, thanks for bringing part 2 of the review, really enjoyed it

i do have a question though. currently i am using the n86, and i am considering getting the vivaz. buuut....i would like your opinion on it as a smartphone in comparison to the n86

granted they both run on symbian but i've been hearing that the vivaz has a different s60 5th edition than say what the n97 and XM series runs on. so i wanted to know if it would be worth the trade, or if i should wait till Q3 when symbian (hopefully) releases its new OS?

-Fil

Old 18-03-2010, 07:09 AM

shiner is on a distinguished road
The 2 Vivaz handsets both look excellent and I would be very tempted, especially by the Pro.

BUT - I don't know if I would want to give up all the services that are now provided by Nokia. The push email (on its good days) and services like Ovi Maps and even Ovi Store are now becoming very useful - essential even. This is indicative of the good work Nokia have been doing since the 'split' with Symbian.

Then there's the question of software comatability. It's hard enough getting people to release software for S60 V3 (I'm an E52 user) instead of just V5 and I already have to jump through far too many hoops to get things like podcasting working - I can only imagine what that process will be like as a Vivaz owner. I don't want to be the small voice shouting 'but what about the Vivaz' at software developers.

Steve - will you have time to try out some of the more popular software on the Vivaz ? Gravity, Escarpod for example ?

Perhaps this will change with Symbian^3 but, today, buying a non-Nokia Symbian handset is a niche too far for me - no matter how excellent and curvy the hardware might be.

Old 18-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Unregistered

steve, a lot of us are reluctant to register after the site and user details got hacked last year.