All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Plagus is on a distinguished road
Blackberry user with a "destinations" question

Hi there

I am almost ready to move away from my BB and onto using an E72 - everything I have read seems pretty good, and the free Ovi maps (driving turn by turn etc) is a deal-clincher for me.

I have 1 question though. I am not clear on the "destinations" setting when it comes to connecting to different (i.e. cellular/wi-fi) networks.

Is it possible to have the "Internet" destination configured with my various WiFi networks listed in, along with the last entry being the cellular network, so that whenever I am, for example, at home and I try to use email/browse the internet etc it will use the Internet destination, and therefore use WiFi first - falling back to cellular coverage if I am not near any configured WiFi?

Or am I not understanding this function properly? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:56 AM

sonamkbr is on a distinguished road
Its urgent need help

HI
I am in an urgent need of BlackBerry Connect Software 4.0 for my Nokia E90 Handset .

If anyone has it .Please email me on mahi_kbr@yahoo.co.in

Its urgent need help

Regards
Sonam
Ads

Old 05-05-2010, 06:06 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagus View Post
Hi there

I am almost ready to move away from my BB and onto using an E72 - everything I have read seems pretty good, and the free Ovi maps (driving turn by turn etc) is a deal-clincher for me.

I have 1 question though. I am not clear on the "destinations" setting when it comes to connecting to different (i.e. cellular/wi-fi) networks.

Is it possible to have the "Internet" destination configured with my various WiFi networks listed in, along with the last entry being the cellular network, so that whenever I am, for example, at home and I try to use email/browse the internet etc it will use the Internet destination, and therefore use WiFi first - falling back to cellular coverage if I am not near any configured WiFi?

Or am I not understanding this function properly? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Hi - did you get any joy with this?
RM-530
E72-1

Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Plagus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Hi - did you get any joy with this?
No, not at all. I did a lot more research and it seems (I am happy to be corrected on this if anyone knows any better) that the only Nokia Messaging function which works properly with "destinations" is the Exchange element, not POP/IMAP.

I gave up and stuck with my 'Berry.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:14 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I not sure I'm in a position to correct you at all, but can only offer my experiences with Destinations.

Firstly, I only ever set up IMAP. I did this on the N97, set up Destinations to use the home wi fi network as Priority 1 and then the phone's internet connection as Priority 2. These can be changed as and when you want them, but appreciate it's a hassle to keep going into the menu and making changes.

With the e72, I have the same set up, but the phone's internet connection is Priority 1, again have only set up my Gmail account. As I'm away from home quite a lot, the connection is nearly always the internet.

I think there is an issue in trying to configure MfE ( having read a couple of other posts ) in that it you can't automatically tell the phone which connection to use as soon as you open any email app, it will just use the Priorties as listed in Destinations.

Don't know if that is of any help? Good luck anyway!
RM-530
E72-1

Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM

snowman74 is on a distinguished road
Supposedly that is why Nokia added SmartConnect to the new fw version. I personally tried it and it failed more times than what it actually worked. Again I do use Destinations for my Lotus Traveler without a prob. But for IMAP I have to stick to switching connections since the NAM version of E72 does not show Destinations within the Messaging Client.

Hope it helps. Cheers

Chris