All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-07-2005, 09:41 PM

Joxes is on a distinguished road
Nokia 3230 static, an other new bug ?

I have the Nokia 3230 for 3 weeks now (Asian version-V3.0505.2 19-02-05 RM-51).

Here is a new very insteresting bug:

-When you're not using the phone, the screen turns black (you can still see your background image with the network name, battery meter and so on) and after few mns ago you have the standard screen saver.
-Put the phone on your ear, there is no noise coming from the speaker
-Now just leave the phone on your ear and press any key.
-The phone wakes up and you can hear now some statics coming from the speaker. Those statics are not normal.

I checked with my others Nokia phone (6630 and 6670) and my SMT5600 (Audiovox) there is no such static. It looks like Nokia forgot to shield properly the GSM/EDGE radio on the Nokia 3230.

I experienced such static problems with my Treo 650 unlock worldwide version before I applied the new software patch issued by Palmone.

It will be interesting to see if others users are experiencing the same problem with their Nokia 3230 ?

Last edited by Joxes; 07-07-2005 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Mistake

Old 06-07-2005, 07:46 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxes
I have the beep bug before any calls or SMS.
It's not a bug. It's a feature. (Put there intentionally, I'm afraid. Supposedly to give you a warning before your - possibly loud - ringing/message tone starts playing so that you won't keep it by your ear when it rings. Siemens had to withdraw a model from the market last year or so due to too loud ringing tones.)

Old 07-07-2005, 10:59 PM

The static noise is coming from the screen

After spending 4 hours on the phone and testing differents settings I decided to hard reset the phone (*#73703). Just after resetting someone called me and voila no more statics.

I thought a hard reset was the key to that bug ? The screen of the 3230 after hard reset is set to max in term of brightness. If you decide to reduce the brightness by moving the cursor suddenly you'll hear a static noise in the phone speaker.

This is a new bug on the Nokia 3230. I tried the same manipulation on both Nokia 6670 and 6630 there is no static noise even if you change the brightness settings.

I already contacted Nokia and they told me this issue was under investigation.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:13 PM

jannnn is on a distinguished road
Is it firmware bug or hardware problem?? I hope that it's firmware bug....

Old 09-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Rich_uk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxes

I already contacted Nokia and they told me this issue was under investigation.
how did u contact nokia? I've got nowhere complaining about all the bugs as mentioned in this forum? club nokia couldn't even tell me what the latest firmware is!

Old 11-07-2005, 10:39 PM

Thumbs up Nokia technical support - France

I just contacted Nokia in the US. They gave me a phone number for Nokia Europe. The office is based out of England. I called the UK and I didn't get a good answer so I decided to contact the support team in France. I got lucky to talk with a real support engineer. He totally understood my problem. He was using the 3230 :-)

I explained the problem I have with the noisy screen, he was able to reproduce the issue on the phone he had at his desk. He checked a bug list. He told me this problem was already on the list and a firmware fix is on its way. But he didn't specify any release date.

Now regarding this annoying beep he didn't want to talk about it. He just told me a coming firmware fix could turn on or turn off this beep. So this beep is maybe not a bug afterall !!!
Ads

Old 16-07-2005, 09:48 PM

dukesatan is on a distinguished road
Wow, cool thanks for the update, although i couldent repeat what you found it's nice to hear there is an option for the beep, lets hope it comes out soon, i have a Nokia support center only 20 miles away and they should (i hope) contact me as soon as they get a released firmware. Should i get a notification from them, i'll post here cause i'll be straight in for a reflash, even if i got to pay for it, lol.

Duke.